Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GPS Inaccuracy Gear Fit2 Pro

(Topic created on: 05-07-2018 12:26 PM)
Tobias1977
Apprentice
Options

Hi there,

Had my Gear Fit2 Pro for less than a week. It's a replacement for my Fitbit Charge 2, which has sadly died on me (I'm gutted as it was awesome).

Unfortunately, the GPS on the Gear Fit2 Pro is completely inaccurate. I apologise that I'm starting a topic on an issue that claims to be solved, but it really isn't. What's more, when cycling, the device doesn't even register when I'm on the move, recoding 0.00km.

Is the problem due to me carrying my phone? Is my phone interfering with the GPS quality of the Fit2 Pro. If I do have my phone, what settings should I be switching off specifically. I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 8.

Samsung have asked me to do some basic checks which I've completed and informed them about, only for them to ask me to do them again. This is trouble shooting of the poorest quality. After an hour on chat, the message board was disconnected by Samsung. The technical support had no idea about the layout and use of the Gear app and android phone features even though the phone itself was a Samsung phone. I wasn't rude but patient.

They now claim it's do with third party tech and are placing the blame on Strava. I'm not clear why. Strava apps cannot be located through the Samsung Gear App Store.

Does anyone here use third party apps for mapping, and if so, do they connect/sync with Samsung Gear?

Support greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Likes
5 REPLIES 5
Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Hi Tobias1977,

I can't help you in regards to getting your GPS working correctly but i did want to add some information for you.

From what i understand, the watch will use the phone GPS if it is connected to it via bluetooth.

If there is no phone present the watch will use the built in GPS.

Generally, from my usage, the phone GPS will give you better results than the watch so i would advise to take your phone with you wherever possible.

There is no official strava app for the watch. You record the workout via Samsung health then sync it across to Strava.

Strava will not be to blame for this problem. It is the device which records the GPS data and then Samsung health simply passes this data onto Strava via sync.

Samsung health app on phone > three dots top right > settings > customised services > Strava

When this is set up, after recording a workout, the phone should upload the workout to Strava.

The only thing i can suggest is to wait until you have a GPS lock before starting the workout.

Do you get any GPS plotting at all or is it just inaccurate?

Another reason could just be that you have a faulty watch.

Additionaly, i agree that Samsung customer support is poor, the staff often do not have a clue what you are talking about and can only supply you with very generic information.

I have a gear sport but they all run the same software along with the gear s3 and fit2 pro.

Tobias1977
Apprentice
Options

HI Ricky2,

Thank you for the most awesome of replies.

Apologies that I made out Strava were to blame. That’s definitely not the case. A massive thank you for telling me how to enable and sync Strava. Much appreciated.

I was through to technical support and have now been given an account reference number to monitor the events. I’ll go for a walk later and see if there is any improvement following factory resets.

This will sound like a stupid question, but how do I actually know if I have a GPS lock beforehand? Surely when location services are enabled the GPS is automatically locked down?

With regards to the data I get, it’s a mixed bag. When I walk or run, I get partial mapping. The route itself is incomplete. When I cycle however, I get nothing. There is distance recorded, i.e. it remains at 0.00km.

I have to admit, it’s a poor piece of kit.

Thanks again for the reply.

Ricky2
Voyager
Options

Hi Tobias1977,

No problem.

You can see when the GPS is locked before the workout by, selecting the workout type (say running for example), then at the top you should see a little GPS icon. It will flash at first then change to a solid green when locked. My watch also flashes up 'location detected' on screen.

Tobias1977
Apprentice
Options
Nice one Ricky.

I’m now wondering if there’s a fault with my device. It’s always flashing. Never locking.

I’ll get back to the technical support.

Awesome,

Cheers.
JJosephson
Student
Options

Really disappointed with the GPS lock inconsistency. Sometimes it'll lock immediately, othertimes it'll lock and drop off othertimes it'll lock and drop off after 5 minutes. I do this disconnected from phone with Bluetooth off. Charting my run path only shows up after about 3/4 of the run. Really disappointed.