Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alti-barometer on 46mm watch

(Topic created on: 02-03-2019 07:47 PM)
Dannyboy236
Explorer
Options

Had watch 2 weeks now. The 6 hour graph stops showing info and arrow never moves even though pressure has.

Had latest update. Uninstalled re installed and no different. 

Anybody else had issues?

39 REPLIES 39
Artist007
First Poster
Options
I have the same issue. Alti-barometer stopped to show height today.
0 Likes
compassrose
First Poster
Options

I have the Gear S3 and although the widget shows "changes" to the numbers in the altimeter and the barometer, I cannot access the Alti-barometer app when you press the widget - so unsure how to calibrate (as I'm pretty sure the altimeter, at least, is wrong).

Also, by selecting the Alti-Barometer app icon from the app menu in the Gear S3 - nothing happens! The app will not open in any way from the Gear S3.

The app shows it's up-to-date in the Galaxy App store and the Gear S3 software is definitely up-to-date as well. I don't know why it doesn't work, but can't see how to correct it either? Not helpful to answer your question, but it's happening across Tizen, it appears. Should also say I've owned my Gear S3 for over a year and this particular problem has been around for several months, for me.

0 Likes
Gchev56
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I have the same issue, and no feedback from Samsung.

0 Likes
AlexMil
Pioneer
Options

I bought my Samsung Watch (46mm) in September 2018 and since a week ago I started having the barometer falling from 145mt down to 70, then up, then down up to -50 meters... all this in 2 minutes while I was sitting at my desk.

I read on Reddit about others having the same issue, they sent their watch to Samsung Service and the problem was not solved.

Theo9799
Apprentice
Options

I have had the same issue on two Galaxy watches. The first worked fine for a couple of weeks then went crazy, the altimeter and barometer were highly unstable and the watch would report me climbing 10 or more flights of stairs while sleeping. 

I took that watch back and the second started doing the same after about a week. I am currently waiting for the software update to see if that fixes this and all of the other fitness related issues. If it doesn't this watch will also be returned

Rui_Pedro
Explorer
Options

Yep, same issue. My alti-barometer widget is terrible which negatively affects everything else that depends on those values, like Samsung Health. Everytime I went for a MTB ride the altimeter graph was absolutely bonkers and all over the place! I tried to manually calibrate the air pressure and/or altitude but the widget does NOT let me do that!! :shocked-face-with-exploding-head::thinking-face:

After several useless suggestions, opinions, Remote Assistant, etc. from Samsung I finally took the watch to an official Samsung Technical Repair Center.

The back cover and motherboard were replaced and I picked the watch yesterday (March the 1st). When I first turned on the watch and set everything again, it seemed there were no issues.

The next day (today) I went for a MTB ride to test the "new" watch but everything related to air pressure is all wrong again! And the #$%#"#$%!"# widget still does NOT let me to manually calibrate it. If I change one (air pressure or altitude) it changes the other to a random number.

I live by the sea, so I went to the beach, manually chose 0 meters for the altitude and when I rotate the bezel to change the air pressure, the altitude has changed on its own to whatever altitude it feels I'm at. If I manually change the air pressure to the correct one and rotate the bezel to choose a correct altitude, the air pressure too changes by it self for the value it had before I tried to calibrated it... 

Sigh...

0 Likes
Racklefratz
First Poster
Options

Sounds like you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the relationship between altitude and pressure.  They're inversely related, meaning, as altitude increases, atmospheric pressure decreases.  On average, for every 1,000 ft increase in altitude, there will be a corresponding 1" Hg of atmospheric pressure.  Temperature also affects atmospheric pressure, since warmer air makes it less dense, and results in a lower atmospheric pressure, at that altitude.

Bottom line: If you adjust either altitude or pressure on a device that reports both, the other should change automatically.  And be aware of the fact that weather reporting/forecasting agencies report barometric pressure ADJUSTED TO SEA LEVEL PRESSURE.  This means that the pressures they report have taken actual barometric pressure for the location and adjusted it to be what it would be at sea level.  This is done because these pressures are used in the altitude reporting equipment in aircraft worldwide, and it ensures that all aircraft flying at the same altitude will BE at the same altitude, even though atmospheric pressures differ by location.

My watch reports pressure which is about 1" Hg more than the correct pressure for my location adjusted to sea level.  I don't know if the watch is designed to report sea level barometric pressure or raw pressure.  If the latter, it's probably showing the correct pressure.  If it's supposed to be sea level pressure, it's reporting the wrong pressure.  Amazingly, Samsung is silent on this question, but an answer would be very useful

0 Likes
Rui_Pedro
Explorer
Options

@Racklefratz 

My only fundamental mistake was  the failure to express in a clear way what's going on. I'm well aware of what atmospheric pressure is and how it typically decreases when altitude increases.

What you say "Bottom line: If you adjust either altitude or pressure on a device that reports both, the other should change automatically. " is absolutely wrong. The fact that there might be X hPa doesn't mean that you are at sea level. If you are at sea level with an atmospheric pressure of X hPa THEN, when you move, your watch knows at what altitude you're at based on that reference, period, simples as that. What you state "If you adjust either altitude or pressure on a device that reports both, the other should change automatically." means that either altitude or pressure are constant and one of them is enough to know the other... WRONG!

At sea level the atmospheric pressure can be at 1030hPa or 900hPa. That's why barometric pressure changes over time and because of it we can "predict" weather changes! For a specific altitude the air pressure is NOT constant. That's why these devices allow you to calibrate/change both at the same time because, surprise surprise, at sea level (or any other altitude for that matter) there are very different values for the atmospheric pressure.

0 Likes
Racklefratz
First Poster
Options

Quote:"For a specific altitude the air pressure is NOT constant. That's why these devices allow you to calibrate/change both at the same time because, surprise surprise, at sea level (or any other altitude for that matter) there are very different values for the atmospheric pressure."

I'm not going to argue the point further, but nowhere in my post did I imply that "pressure stays constant for a given altitude" (or location, for that matter).  

What I AM saying is that if you measure pressure at ONE location, and then move to another higher/lower location, PRESSURE AT THE NEW LOCATION WILL BE DIFFERENT.  And if you insist on setting it to anything else, it will be wrong.  Compische?

And don't insult me with your pronouncements about weather forecasting and pressure varations at a given location.  I'm a licensed pilot, and I know some weather. 

Over and out

0 Likes