Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alti-Barometer version 1.2.20 still not corrected. A request.

(Topic created on: 10-09-2019 04:45 PM)
pkylle
Explorer
Options

I just got version 1.2.20 of the app Alti-Barometer and it still shows wrong value.

The barometer sensor in the watch is correct by a fixed offset, but there is no way to specify that required offset.

It has been mentioned several times in this forum that the precision is OK but the accuracy is not. So a fulfillment of the request for a way to add a required offset to make it accurate would be appreciated.

3 REPLIES 3
Whammamoosha
First Poster
Options
The watch should get the current local pressure report/ground level from a server that monitors the location reported by the watch, in order to calibrate the altimeter, but it doesn't.

I verified the pressure measurements done by two Galaxy Note 9's and my Galaxy Watch, and the readings were strictly the same, with a derived altimetry of -15m on all three. I used the firmware diagnostics tool, which is run by dialing *#0*# in the phone app, so it's uncalibrated data. The negative altitude was probably due to being at a high pressure location (bad weather) while the firmware uses another reference.

The altimetry app on the watch showed the same -15m altitude, so it's uncalibrated too.

On one of the Notes I installed "Barometer and Altimeter" by EXA Tools from the Play Store. It self-calibrates using the data that the Galaxy Watch doesn't fetch and reports the actual altitude, which wasn't negative, rather it was my place's well-known altitude.
0 Likes
pkylle
Explorer
Options

The watch is getting sea level pressure when calibrating from a server, but when the watch itself does measure the 'local' pressure it is off by 3-5 hPa as compared to other instruments ( phones and barometers). 

So as long as one cannot 'correct' the measurement taken by the watch the result will be wrong.  The difference of the sea level pressure from the server to the 'local' pressure measured by the watch constitutes the presented altitude. And if the 'local' is wrong - the result is wrong. My watch seems to have a fixed offset-error in the measurement that easily could be fixed by adding an option of a 'corrective value'. 

0 Likes
starjack
First Poster
Options

@Whammamoosha @basketball legends wrote:
The watch should get the current local pressure report/ground level from a server that monitors the location reported by the watch, in order to calibrate the altimeter, but it doesn't.

I verified the pressure measurements done by two Galaxy Note 9's and my Galaxy Watch, and the readings were strictly the same, with a derived altimetry of -15m on all three. I used the firmware diagnostics tool, which is run by dialing *#0*# in the phone app, so it's uncalibrated data. The negative altitude was probably due to being at a high pressure location (bad weather) while the firmware uses another reference.

The altimetry app on the watch showed the same -15m altitude, so it's uncalibrated too.

On one of the Notes I installed "Barometer and Altimeter" by EXA Tools from the Play Store. It self-calibrates using the data that the Galaxy Watch doesn't fetch and reports the actual altitude, which wasn't negative, rather it was my place's well-known altitude.

😞

0 Likes