Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TabS4 & fake HDR

(Topic created on: 25-01-2019 10:33 AM)
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

As much as the Tab S4 is a nice looking tablet, the support for HDR is nothing short of pathetic & misleading.

HDR is only supported in the official Samsung video player and it's not really HDR. The brightness basically gets cranked up a bit.

Compare HDR video on a S8+, S9+ and Note 9 sat next to a Tab S4 and see for yourself. The difference is HUGE.

Further to this, every other app that on the previous devices mentioned above that supports HDR (YouTube, Prime, VLC, MX, Netflix) fails to output HDR on the TabS4. 

Interestingly Netflix does show the HDR logo before playback, but once again, compare it to other devices with true HDR support & the difference is massive.

As much as the TabS4 is a nice piece of hardware, it has some shortcomings. HDR in its current form should not be advertised as it is...because it's not really HDR.

Then there's the fact videos on YouTube can't be played above 1080p unless you like to watch videos that jerk around a lot.

Im not alone in this, XDA forums has an interesting chat on this same subject.

Would be nice for Samsung to comment, but I know that even if they did.....it would be a wasted effort.

So many Samsung products, so many problems...One day I will learn!
22 REPLIES 22
xpusostomos
Explorer
Options

I don't think we can talk about a "device aging" when it's still a currently available device. In fact, it's still the flagship device.

0 Likes
PaulDeemer
Journeyman
Options

I read the thread and did not see anyone mention this. I have the Note 8 and the Galaxy Tab S4. On Netflix Premium with HDR Stranger Things Season 3 with HDR looks Incredible on the Note 8 but Terribly Dark on the Tab S4. There is a reason for this. The Note 8 is cable of 1200 nits peak brightness. The Tab S4 is only capable of 468 nits peak brightness. So that is why it looks great on my Phone because it has 3 times the brightness. The Tab s4 is good for HDR Pictures but was never meant to be a good HDR Video device. The screens brightness just doesnt have enough nits. 

0 Likes
ToonTonic
Pathfinder
Options

Much like plenty of large HDR OLED panels.....just not enough nits.

**Inbox set for OLED fanboy rage :winking-face:

So many Samsung products, so many problems...One day I will learn!
0 Likes