Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tab S3 wifi works, but then stops other devices' wifi from working

(Topic created on: 11-12-2019 04:16 AM)
PattiY
First Poster
Options

Hi all,

I have  Tab S3 that is out of warranty. When the Tab S3's wifi is turned on, it freezes other devices' wifi. With an ISP tech here, we figured out that the Tab S3 was the problem. We connected 2 cell phones, 2 Kindle Fire HD8s, a laptop, and an Apple TV with no wifi problems. We played movies on Netflix, Plex, Movies Anywhere, Vudu, and searched on Chrome...all at the same time, so I doubt it is a speed problem. But, when I turn on the wifi of the Tab S3, it immediately drops the wifi on the other devices, even if I have only 1 device connected. The wifi is intermittent and comes on sometimes. I can watch a movie on Netflix and turn on the Tab S3's wifi and within a couple of minutes, the movie freezes until I turn off the Tab's wifi. 

I have reset the tablet's network, removed all 3rd party apps, rebooted the modem and Orbi router, soft reset, and hard reset. Nothing works. I did not have this problem during the first year I had the tablet. I am not sure if an update caused this or not, but it has been going on for the last few months. Before the September update, the wifi didn't freeze, but it was intermittent. It would work fine for a week, then the wifi would be out for hours. It never occurred to me that it was a tablet problem.

Does anyone have any idea what I can do to fix the problem? Thanks for any suggestions.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
PattiY
First Poster
Options

Updates:

Now wifi will not work for any device within 5 minutes after the Tab S3 is turned on, and the wifi will longer work for the tablet at all. Once the Tab S3's wifi is turned off again, within 5 minutes the wifi will work for every device. 

I contacted Netgear to make sure my Orbi router and satellite were setup correctly. For some reason, Netgear had the wrong info about my purchase of the router. "The router's free 3 months of support ended in August 2018"  and "The router's hardware warranty  expired in August 2017".  The dates were strange in that the hardware warranty expired before the free support. Plus, I bought the Orbi in July 2019.  

The tech said that the Orbi had been registered under another name before I bought it. I guess Amazon sent me a used Orbi without my knowledge. We rebooted everything, and the tech took control of my PC after I gave her my credit card info. 3  1/2 hours later, she disconnected with my PC and put me on hold. She came back and told me I needed to upload my proof of purchase and a picture of the Orbi's serial number. She found out they had a KNOWN issue with Samsung tablets. They were sending me a new Orbi free of charge. They did not charge me for the tech support since it was defective hardware. 

My question to the forum...

Wouldn't that be a software issue? Why send new hardware? Unless something in the router caused the problem. Or maybe they didn't know what else to try. Maybe this post can help someone else.

0 Likes
PattiY
First Poster
Options

Can anyone help with this problem? Netgear never sent the new Orbi router. I have contacted them multiple times, and they say they will send a new one. Then I never receive one. Sent another ticket today, but I wanted to see if anyone else has this problem with Tab S3 and Orbi.

0 Likes