Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tab S3 draining battery from 80% to Zero Overnight

(Topic created on: 20-02-2020 10:13 AM)
deve52
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I recently acquired a Tab S3. It's in like new condition and works exceedingly well. BUT. When I charge it up to 80% the night before, the next morning it's at 0%  I recharge it again in the morning, and everything is fine.

What happened overnight?? This is the second time this has happened in the 2 times I have recharged the tablet. 

I have the Samsung official magnetic case on it. Could this be the culprit? 

Looking for some constructive replies to this conundrum,...

Thanks. 

@deve52

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
SaudA
Troubleshooter
Options
Hi @deve52,

Are you still having issues with this? Can you confirm you're using the official charger that comes with the tablet?

Just to confirm, does the battery drain during the night, or is it at 80% the next morning but then drains immediately to 0%?

0 Likes
deve52
Explorer
Options

Hi, @SaudA

Thanks for your reply. 

It's a very odd problem. 

If I charge it the night before, it drains to zero overnight. If I charge it again from zero to say, 60%, the following morning, the battery behaves fine and lasts me some days. I'm a light user.

Yes, I use the official Samsung charger, and the official Samsung magnetic case. 

I checked the battery use graph, and it clearly shows the rapid depletion of the battery overnight from 80% to zero in approximately 1.5 hours. If I charge it during the day/morning the graph displays normal excellent battery life. 

I'm very confused on this one. 

Why is the time of day when I charge it up, having such a dramatic effect on battery behaviour? 

Kind Regards, 

Thomas. 

@deve52 

0 Likes
drmoore
Apprentice
Options

Are you running Android pie? My s3 tab worked perfectly with oreo but once I updated to pie my battery also drains overnight. 

0 Likes
deve52
Explorer
Options

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. 

Yes it's on Android Pie(9).

Is yours okay if you charge at a different time? 

It only happens on mine when I charge it up at night, for some unknown reason. 

I've never come across anything like this before. 

It's a very strange occurrence and I'm completely baffled by it.

0 Likes
SaudA
Troubleshooter
Options

Thanks for this info, @deve52

Are you able to send a screen shot of your Battery Usage here, during this time period? (Apps > Settings > Device Maintenance > Battery > Battery Usage). It may help shed more light on to this issue.

Also, have you tried taking the case off and testing the tablet without it? 

0 Likes
deve52
Explorer
Options

Hi,

Things were going okay for the last few weeks , as long as I charged the tablet in the morning or afternoon. 

This morning 13/02, I received a notice for a new update, which I downloaded and installed. 

Now it's draining rapidly during the day as well! It went from 60% to 14% in less than an hour, while I wasn't using it.

This is becoming a real pain. I think I might just do a master reset! If that doesn't solve the problem, then the tablet is faulty and there's nothing more I can do. It will be, in my eyes, unfit for purpose. 

Thanks again, 

Thomas. 

0 Likes
SaudA
Troubleshooter
Options
It's difficult to say without checking the battery usage, including any apps running in the background. Can you try sending the battery usage screen shot as soon as the battery hits 50%?
0 Likes
deve52
Explorer
Options

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. 

At the moment I'm trying different configurations. I charged it up to 95%, turned it off, next day 95% so OK there. 

Next I took it from the case, turned off WiFi bluetooth etc., again not much drain. 

Next, turned just WiFi on, bit of overnight drain but that's normal. 

I have put it back in the case and so far it's behaviour is normal. 

Of course the final step is to charge it up again,  in the case with WiFi on, which I will do tomorrow. These things take time! I have also uninstalled non-essential apps. 

So, in a couple of days, if there is a dramatic drain, i can send you a screenshot of the battery graph. Would that be OK? 

Many Thanks, 

Thomas. 

0 Likes
SaudA
Troubleshooter
Options
Thanks, @deve52. Those are some good steps to test. Please keep me updated.
0 Likes