Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Secure Start-up

(Topic created on: 09-03-2020 08:59 PM)
TabS6e
Student
Options

Samsung Tech support today confirmed that the secure boot startup facility which is at the heart of the security provision in Android 9 has been deleted from the tab S6e android OS rollout.

Certainly that would explain why I cannot find this option on my tab running the latest  Android security patch update as of December 2019 Samsung's own update of 26 Feb 2020. 

Can anybody confirm this to be the case and if so, join me in asking the bods @ Samsung Tech to explain what to me seems a retrograde and compromising omission. Why take out such a critical security provision which can only serve to compromise us as users.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
CarlH
Options

Hey @TabS6e. I've just checked this with my colleague and it should be located in Settings > Biometrics and Security > Other Security Settings > Strong Protection. When restarting you will need to unlock your Tab using your selected scurity method to access features other than calls messages and alarms. Hope this helps!

0 Likes
TabS6e
Student
Options

thanks CarlH ..

.. the STRONG PROTECTION toggle is on and the gumpff reads "after restarting you'll need to unlock your tablet using your pattern PIN or password to access features other than calls messages and alarms " ..

.. on my Tab 2 ( Android 7) and my Moto G6 (Android 9), once the Secure Startup option is enabled, both devices will not progress beyond boot until my PIN/password is offered at start-up ..

.. however on my tab 6, with the strong protection enabled, the tablet progresses beyond restart boot-up through to the standard lock screen without requiring my PIN/password ..

.. my tablet is running the latest Android security update patches as well as the up-to-date Samsung software update ..

.. there's very little point in having a secure start up if it takes you beyond boot as it rather defeats the object of the exercise .. if there is some other setting that needs to be enabled which I am unaware of in order for secure startup at boot then I should be grateful if you could but the question out there ..

many thanks

@CarlH wrote:

Hey @TabS6e. I've just checked this with my colleague and it should be located in Settings > Biometrics and Security > Other Security Settings > Strong Protection. When restarting you will need to unlock your Tab using your selected scurity method to access features other than calls messages and alarms. Hope this helps!

0 Likes
ssjgod
First Poster
Options
Samsung s21 fe 5g no strong protection
0 Likes