Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

S2 tablet locked

(Topic created on: 12-02-2018 02:28 PM)
GaryS
Apprentice
Options

I have a s2 tablet, out of warranty that I wanted to give to a family friends kid. I did a factory reset before I checked it had been cleared. At restart it asked for the Google account used before reset. It however does not accept this even though same account and password are used on another tablet and phone. Samsung won't do anything as I don't have my receipt any longer and it was purchase at store rather than online. So basically I now have a useless white state that may as well go in the bin. Any thoughts?

Gary

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9
John4Oh
Helping Hand
Options

@GaryS

Did you change the password by any chance before the hard reset? If so you could be locked out for 72hrs, it's a security feature, is this what's happening to you? Factory reset might trip 72hr lockout.

0 Likes
GaryS
Apprentice
Options

No, this has been a month long thing. It took this long, as I wanted to take it to a Samsung service center in person. This was a waste of time as without the receipt of purchase you are deemed untrustworthy. Since then I have tried resetting my password on my Google account and using my phone number instead of email for the tablet via Samsung without success. The tablet still shows on my Google account including when last active. But evertime I try to log in with correct email and password it says there is an error and try another Google account or come back in 24 hours.

0 Likes
John4Oh
Helping Hand
Options

@GaryS

Do you have more than one google account? It seems it's this that's causing the issue Factory Reset Protection and without proof of purchase there's not much you can do I'm afraid. 

0 Likes
GaryS
Apprentice
Options

No just the one account, always had the same account.

0 Likes
GaryS
Apprentice
Options

This was last resort to be fair, it's otherwise in perfect condition original Box, leads never used, original dust cover etc. Likely take a hammer to it. Better than giving it back to Samsung free for them to unlock. Won't ever use Samsung again, don't like their attitude in the least.

0 Likes
John4Oh
Helping Hand
Options

@GaryS

It's not fair to say the least Gary, although I'll go have a little look and see if there's a way round the FRP for you before you take a hammer to the tablet. 

0 Likes
GaryS
Apprentice
Options

My opinion is my opinion. I see as I find. It was one last shot to save the device. Clearly the receipt is more important than the tablet. Luckily for me It was to be a giveaway to a friend, unluckily for me the upgrade was also a Samsung, kind of a bitter taste now. Live and learn, but will never use again

0 Likes
John4Oh
Helping Hand
Options

wrote:

My opinion is my opinion. I see as I find. It was one last shot to save the device. Clearly the receipt is more important than the tablet. Luckily for me It was to be a giveaway to a friend, unluckily for me the upgrade was also a Samsung, kind of a bitter taste now. Live and learn, but will never use again

@GaryS

Oh definitely Gary and I was meaning it was unfair on you for the receipt being the blocker, although to be fair it is an anti theft/fraud protection put in place to stop thiefs wiping a device and setting it up as their own. Sorry I couldn't be of more help Gary.

0 Likes
GaryS
Apprentice
Options

Oh okay sorry. I do believe though, that tech firms make it more clear that even out or warranty, no matter when, do not throw your receipt away. It's common sense I know, but does everyone do it, even when it's so clearly important.....now where is that hammer