Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Restricted Profie Apps Not Showing

(Topic created on: 04-02-2019 02:01 AM)
RL2
First Poster
Options

Hi all,

I have recently purchased 2 Samsung Galaxy A (2016) tablets running Android 8 for my kids.

Model: SM-T580

Android: 8.1.0

I previously had Lenovo Yoga Tablets running Android 5 using restricted user profiles so that I could control the apps they use. 

The restricted profiles setup fine on the Galaxy A Android 8 tablets, however none of my installed apps appear in the app list to select, only the system and stock apps. 

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 Tab running Android 7 and the restricted profiles work fine on here. 

Has anyone else seen or experienced this issue?

Regards,

Richard 

0 Likes
21 REPLIES 21
j94305
Explorer
Options

Today, I called the German Samsung support for tablets. They acknowledge the problem, apparently it has been known for a while. However, there is presently no cure.

The technician I talked to pointed to a possible solution with Android 9 - however, massive handwaving at this point, and I doubt this will be available for my SM-T580 any time soon, maybe Q2/2019.

It is mysterious to me how such a major problem can slip through QA and even then, not make it into an update release such as 8.1.0.

Looks like my mid- to long-term platform for the family will be based on iOS.

0 Likes
Raimoraimo
First Poster
Options

This is a massive problem for me, as I just purchased the Galaxy Tab A 10.5 (new model), to replace a dying Nexus 10 device. My 10-year old has been using a restricted profile but now I cannot recreate that, and I cannot give him full access to the account either.

0 Likes
j94305
Explorer
Options

I use MobileFence to implement restrictions now and trashed my hopes for a fix in Android.

0 Likes
RL2
First Poster
Options

Yeah I have had to use Qustodio on both mine now and the silly kids mode app which isn't great. 

0 Likes
Rusalka
First Poster
Options
Samsung, you have to fix it urgently! My toddler can't use the tablet anymore, and it is becoming unnecessary piece of junk for us! My apartment has enough things that don't work.
Éadaoin
First Poster
Options

Hi

I am in the same position and am really disappointed as i have 7 tablets SMT580 for a small class I teach. None of the apps I have installed are showing up when I try to allow restricted (student / child) access to the apps.  

It is disheartening to see the problem has been around for a while and still isn't fixed.

0 Likes
MeliG
First Poster
Options

This issue needs to be resolved.  I've been using Norton Family to help control the kids' web access, but I rely on the restricted profile for their apps. I don't mind the kids having new apps that I approve, but I don't want them to have any access to my google profile in order to download them. Has anyone tried Google Family Link? Any thoughts on it?

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options
I thought Google family link was the answer until it became very unreliable and my 8 year old was able to access inappropriate videos. Once I found the restricted mode on his LG I was relieved to say the least. Now I've been trying to set up my Tab A 10.1 restricted mode for my 4 year old so she can play her cute game about abcs and 123s etc without inappropriate junk popping up. I cannot believe I am not able to set one up. This is ridiculous! I have so many trackers and blockers but they are no where as good as restricted mode.
0 Likes
larkovupse
Apprentice
Options
Only way to get rid of this issue to is wait for the next software update. Till then keep reporting the crashes/bug.

Regards.,
Larko Vupse
0 Likes
Heris1
First Poster
Options

Or how it worked to me: Downgrade firmware version if devices is not in warranty services. 

0 Likes