Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Play Store apps not optimised for your device?!

(Topic created on: 20-12-2017 04:21 PM)
spinon
Pioneer
Options

Hi Folks,

I keep getting the message 'This app may not be optimised for your device' for various apps on Google Play Store. I have contacted Google about this but not yet had a reply. I have a Galaxy Tab S2 8" (SM-T713) and it is running Android 7.0. An example app is OneSync by MetaCtrl. But if I visit the same app in Play Store using a Nexus 5 device, the message does not appear. The Nexus 5 is running Android 6.0.1. I have tried other things, which would suggest this is not related to Android version. So, that implies that it may be device related. Is anyone else seeing this when using Play Store? 

Thanks in advance.

49 REPLIES 49
KristaK
First Poster
Options

Oh my gosh Yes! I have been looking all over for someone else sith this same issue.

The apps with these messages are the only apps misbehaving, not rotating like they should, things like that. Also a Tab S2, Android 7.0

Would love advice on how to troubleshoot this.

spinon
Pioneer
Options

Hi KristaK,

It's reassuring to know that I'm not alone with this problem! Your comment about apps misbehaving is interesting and a useful starting point. Although I have many of these 'not optimised' apps installed on my Tab S2, I haven't seen any misbehaving. But, I will check some of them to see if I can replicate the 'not rotating' problem. My guess is that it's something to do with our device settings, possibly display related.

Let's keep going until we crack it!

spinon

0 Likes
spinon
Pioneer
Options
KristaK,

Any more thoughts on this? I'm not having much success.

spinon
0 Likes
StanTheTabSman
First Poster
Options

As far as I can tell the issue seems to be that some apps will not work in landscape mode on tablets even though they will work in landscape mode on cell phones so that's why the warning is in place. I have asked Amazon to look into this because they have a couple of apps on the Google Play Store that have the same warning and they are much more incentivized to answer me then Samsung appears to be or Google.

spinon
Pioneer
Options

Hi STTS,

Thanks for your reply. It will be interesting to get Amazon's feedback. Please keep us posted. 

spinon

0 Likes
dwcooke47
First Poster
Options

Ok... Y'all solved one problem.. I'm not the only one having this app glitch.... Will attempt to download the turn off timer app... Rotation need doesn't apply to my tablet.  Thanks y'all! 

0 Likes
TigerG
First Poster
Options

I am routinely seeing this message. I didn't imagine that this is about rotation. I thought it might be a hardware or software incompatibility. This is one of a large class of useless warning messages that provide no information but do increase anxiety about computers and phones.  I help people who are tech averse become more knowledgeable and comfortable using their devices. When they get this type of useless message most will say I cannot understand tech. They say they are stupid. I tell them that they are intelligent and the devices  (and their thoughtless developers) are stupid. Or maybe it's just time to market is more important than an informative intelligent user interface. 

Alex95
Student
Options

Mine is doing that as well, It just started doing that in the past couple of months. I have a Tab 3 and Most of the games I've bought in the past "Won't work on your new device!!"!", and that's all it or anything else says. So I believe that Google figured out a way to just take our money and just ignore us since no one knows what to say about it.

0 Likes
spinon
Pioneer
Options

I don't think it says that an app will not work on your device. Isn't the wording something like 'not optimised for your device'? One reply on this thread explains that it is related to screen resolution. Apparently, some devices will appear to stretch what's on screen.