Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Galaxy Tab S5e Scrolling Issue

(Topic created on: 14-10-2019 08:15 AM)
ETHAN0
Pathfinder
Options

Hi! I am new to Samsung tablets and have noticed that when scrolling vertically in portrait orentation, the right side of the display moves slightly faster than the left side which gives this jelly/wave effect which is really  annoying. This issue only occurs in portrait orentation and will not occur is landscape. I have had this issue on my very cheap Amazon Fire HD but did not expect it on a £400 tablet. 

I have read a couple of short threads online about a few others experiencing this issue with the Galaxy Tab S4 but I haven't read much about it happening on the Galaxy Tab S5e. 

Does anyone have this issue on their S5e or other Galaxy tablets and does anyone know why it occurs and if there is a solution? 

Thanks 

31 REPLIES 31
mole51
Explorer
Options

@RpBP wrote:

OK lets go, we will need to unblock Developers Options:

We will go to Settings / about Phone / Software Information / in Compilation Number we will press a few time quickly on there(you will have a message on screen with a counter and option will be active when 0 arrive)

Then we will have a new option in Settings, Developers Options, go there and try to found an option called Transition-Animation Scale, try to change to deactivated.

The Landscape-Portrait will be in faster mode, also you can try with 0.5 (soft movement)

I hope I can help you with this cheat, good night to all :four-leaf-clover:

This doesn't fix what we're talking about here. We're talking about being on a web browser in portrait mode and scrolling up and down with your finger and watching all the text move up and down like jelly, all out of sync and out of line.

Jverdoes
Explorer
Options

@RpBP wrote:

OK lets go, we will need to unblock Developers Options:

We will go to Settings / about Phone / Software Information / in Compilation Number we will press a few time quickly on there(you will have a message on screen with a counter and option will be active when 0 arrive)

Then we will have a new option in Settings, Developers Options, go there and try to found an option called Transition-Animation Scale, try to change to deactivated.

The Landscape-Portrait will be in faster mode, also you can try with 0.5 (soft movement)

I hope I can help you with this cheat, good night to all :four-leaf-clover:

Thank you for the above but unfortunately this does not work. As mole51 said, this is an issue with most tablet screens in portrait but worse on amoled.

I received an email from Samsung Support this morning but it is just the instructions below to perform a master reset. I will try this tonight but I'm not hopeful.

"Before you check on returning it from the retailer, we can try completing the following troubleshooting steps below:

• Let's perform a Soft Reset on your device while the device is still plugged in to a charger. While the device is switched off, press and hold 'Power' button and 'Volume Down' together until the tablet turns on. If you see a 'Warning' page, kindly press 'Volume Down' to cancel and it will restart. This will perform a simulated battery disconnect and refresh your device memory.
  • Press and hold the 'Power/Lock' key, tap 'Power off', and then tap 'OK' to turn off the tablet > press and hold the 'Power/Lock' key and 'Up Volume' key at the same time > release the 'Power/lock' key when the Samsung logo appears > release the 'Up Volume' keys when the Android image appears > when the menu appears, press the 'Down volume' key to select 'Wipe cache partition' > press the 'Power/Lock' key > once the message, “Cache wipe complete” appears on the screen below the menu, press the 'Power/Lock' key to select 'Reboot system now'.
  • If you have an SD card, kindly try removing it (kindly go to 'Settings' > 'Storage' > 'Unmount SD card' before removing it) and check if that will make a difference.
  • We will put the device on 'Safe Mode'. This will temporarily deactivate all the downloaded applications on the tablet. While it is powered off, press the 'Power' button. Once you have the white 'Samsung Logo', press and hold 'Volume Down' button until you see the Home Screen. You should see 'Safe Mode' on the lower left corner of the screen. Once you have followed the steps above, kindly monitor the device if it will work properly while on Safe Mode.
  • The next step is a master reset. Most software problems are cleared by doing a master reset. If your problem isn't solved by a reset, your device will need to be sent for repair. You may not want to reset your device because it is time-consuming, but it will happen anyway as part of the repair process due to data protection."

It is a pity because the screen and the sound quality is so good especially when you watch a movie but anything else in portrait mode ruins a brilliant tablet.

RpBP
Mastermind
Options

Ok, try more things, only for test please, if does not work, we will come back to default values:

Go to Settings /Accesibility/Visibility enhancements/ Active option Delete Animation

Also check in Developpers Options / Active Force Render by GPU

Can someone try it? Thanks

Then the problem is scroll in only one orientation, it is not paralel beteewn right and left side screen and create a bad visual effect scrolling.

0 Likes
Jverdoes
Explorer
Options

@RpBP wrote:

Ok, try more things, only for test please, if does not work, we will come back to default values:

Go to Settings /Accesibility/Visibility enhancements/ Active option Delete Animation

Also check in Developpers Options / Active Force Render by GPU

Can someone try it? Thanks

Then the problem is scroll in only one orientation, it is not paralel beteewn right and left side screen and create a bad visual effect scrolling.

Thank you for your reply, I don't have the tablet with me at the moment but will try this tonight when I'm home.

I don't believe any of this would help though and we should just accept it as an Amoled trade-off.

I found this explaination on another forum which basically confirms that this is an issue that can't be fixed unless the screen refresh rate is increased.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyTab/comments/bnbmv9/tab_s5e_screen_jelly_effect/ 

All the S5e's will have it (and all landscape-oriented displays for that matter). It's effectively unavoidable with the current technology we use to do screens (though higher refresh rate displays would mitigate the issue).

The reason it is unavoidable is because all screens are set to refresh in a certain direction (based on the location of the display controller). In the case of a TV or monitor, the displays refresh top-to-bottom. The Tab S5e is "meant" to be a landscape device, so its display controller refreshes top-to-bottom, assuming you are holding it in a landscape orientation.

However, that means if you use the tablet in portrait mode, the screen will be refreshing right-to-left. Hence when scrolling vertically in portrait, you'll notice that the right-hand side is updated faster than the left-hand side. Thus, when there's fast and fluid movement on the screen, you'll see the jelly effect.

Try going to a webpage that you can really see the jelly effect on in portrait. Then turn your tablet 90 degrees into a landscape orientation and scroll through. You'll notice the jelly effect is completely gone.

All of the Tab S5e's will have the "issue," (well it's not really an issue, but a design choice), but individual's sensitivities to the jelly effect will be subjective. Hence you might get people who can't notice it or don't think it's too bad, but they should all experience it to the exact same degree from an objective measurement point-of-view.

You can watch a YouTube video explaining how TVs and monitors work, it goes into the top-down refresh pattern that even modern TVs use. I have two identical 4K 60Hz LG monitors in my PC setup, one in landscape and one in portrait. If I use smooth scrolling on the portrait monitor, I can notice the jelly effect there, too, because that monitor is now refreshing left-to-right.

A higher framerate display in the S5e would largely mitigate the issue because, while it'd still be refreshing right-to-left, the whole screen would update itself faster. So if you got the display up to 120Hz from 60Hz, I imagine the amount of jelly smearing would be exactly half."

0 Likes
RpBP
Mastermind
Options

As I can understand now the real problem, as we have read, it is a common tablet problem, now Manufacturers are get out a few devices with 120Mhz refresh rate but not before, then it is an effect present in all tablet on the market now then.

Could be interesting to upgrade the capacity of drivers to directional refresh depending of the real orientation, 120Hz is a very hight frecuency actualy for mobile devices but each time more we will have in our devices. It seem easy to do for them.

I don't have more information if I can found something important about this, you will have news here.

See you and thanks for reply and test options with me :thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

Bye:four-leaf-clover:

0 Likes
Jverdoes
Explorer
Options

I just tested the screens of the new S6 and another S5e on display in my local store. 

Both of them have the same screen issue, obviously both are sAMOLED. 

I also tested the Tab A 10.1 2019 and the Tab A 10.5 2018 which have the IPS panel and both had no wobble in portrait mode. Scrolling is not as smooth as on the sAMOLED but hardly noticeable. 

I checked 3 different iPads in portrait mode and none of them had any issues. 

Sadly, the S5e is going back... 

RpBP
Mastermind
Options

Thanks, someone will take note about it.:handshake:

S6 with pen could be OK, but if for you the scroll effectoring do not like you, I can not obligate to change your idea in front to capacity and profesional use.:thumbs-up-sign-emoji-modifier-fitzpatrick-type:

Thanks again and sorry for the inconvenience that are most important for you attention.:four-leaf-clover:

0 Likes
TabletUser5
First Poster
Options

I am having the exact same issue with my Tab S6 (256, 8 Ram) and I'm furious. This is my 2nd one after exchanging it today. Do all of them do this or am I just unlucky?

0 Likes
mole51
Explorer
Options

All of them do this. It is an issue with all screens but particularly AMOLED displays. I've since tried a new iPhone 11 Pro Max in landscape mode and even that has severe jelly effect while scrolling, and so does my Dad's new Tab S4.

Ive just learnt to live with it and am thankful it doesn't happen in landscape as that's the primary orientation I use the tablet in.

0 Likes
TabletUser5
First Poster
Options

I simply cannot believe all of the Samsung Tab S6 tablets have this "jelly" issue.  There is no way professional reviewers and regular users would give it such high marks if everyone has scrolling issues.  Reading text that looks like it's underwater would never receive 4 and 5 stars... Especially from professional tech magazine reviewers.  I have to believe it's a limited number of devices. I purchased both of mine via Amazon. Does anyone here NOT have the issue? P.S. my iPhone and iPad friends don't have this issue (as some have stated).

0 Likes