Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Tab S5e HDR Support?

(Topic created on: 21-06-2019 05:28 PM)
Chrisbazz
First Poster
Options

Is the S5e supposed to support HDR? Playback doesn't work in any video player like it does on the S4. Very strange that a device with the same screen does not support it. 

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16
AndrewL
Options
@Chrisbazz: The Tab S5e does indeed support HDR playback, therefore it may be that the tablet does not support the file type of the video. With this in mind please ensure that the video you are attempting to play is in one of the following formats:

MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
0 Likes
Chrisbazz
First Poster
Options

@AndrewL wrote:
@Chrisbazz: The Tab S5e does indeed support HDR playback, therefore it may be that the tablet does not support the file type of the video. With this in mind please ensure that the video you are attempting to play is in one of the following formats:

MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM

@AndrewL thanks for the reply. I am indeed trying to play an MKV file with no luck.

0 Likes
Chrisbazz
First Poster
Options
The files play in HDR on my tab s4. I was hoping to replace it with this lighter/thinner model.
0 Likes
Solution
AndrewL
Options
Which media player are you using to play the files? Do you get any error messages when you attempt to play them? Have you played the MKV file on another platform without issue? I recommend looking for available updates for the relevant media player via the Galaxy Apps store to address any existing compatibility issues, or maybe checking out a reputable third party app to see if this helps.
0 Likes
Chrisbazz
First Poster
Options
I've tried playing them via Plex, Default Video player, VLC, MX Player etc. They all work fine in the tab s4 but on the s5e colors are washed out in HDR videos.
0 Likes
Chrisbazz
First Poster
Options

@AndrewL wrote:
Which media player are you using to play the files? Do you get any error messages when you attempt to play them? Have you played the MKV file on another platform without issue? I recommend looking for available updates for the relevant media player via the Galaxy Apps store to address any existing compatibility issues, or maybe checking out a reputable third party app to see if this helps.

I am not sure how I clicked solution lol. It is strange that the tab s3 and s4 support hdr but this tablet doesn't seem to.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
@Chrisbazz. I have looked into this further for you and have discovered that, while the display supports HDR as per the specs, there is no HDR support in apps. Apologies for any confusion caused.
0 Likes
Chrisbazz
First Poster
Options
It's quite strange. I hope it's fixed with a software update as the hardware should clearly support it. I am debating whether I should keep the s5e for the small form factor or return it and keep my tab s4. Thank you for your help!
0 Likes
monsthamo
First Poster
Options

Hi,

I’m considering to get a s5e, but I’m bothered by a lack of hdr support. 

May i know if this is a software issue? Is an update coming or is it fixed already?

The screen is the selling point of this tab and not able to do hdr is making it useless.