Support

Open search

Galaxy Tab S2 gets alarmingly hot and drains battery since software update

Highlighted
First Poster

My Tab S2 gets very hot during normal usage. The hotspot is about two-thirds up, on the right hand side (when looking at the screen). The battery life has also shortened significantly, draining in half a day instead of the usual 3 to 4 days. When the battery gets under 20% it sometimes reboots itself. It never used to be like this - one day it was my favourite device and since then it's been disappointingly underperforming.

I assumed it was a battery problem on my unit when I stumbled on this following Samsung US thread 'Galaxy Tab S2 drains battery after recent update':

https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/ProductUpdates/thread-id/261...

A number of users there have reported identical issues, apparently all starting around June 2017 when there was a system software update.

Following the advice, I have attempted a factory reset and tried Safe Mode. The issue persists. All my apps are up to date. I'm using 12.2GB of the available 32GB and charging with the undamaged supplied charger. I have cleared the cache partition (http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/mobile-devices/my-device-is-charging-slowly-not-switching-on-or-ke...). The unit still gets extremely hot and the battery runs itself down.

Can anyone advise? Is there a possible fix? Is there a way to downgrade to a previous version?

Thanks in advance.

My device details:

Galaxy Tab S2
Model number: SM-T713

SM-T713NZDEBTU 2016 8" Wi-Fi

Android version 7
Kernel version 3.10.84-12212928
Mon Sep 4 16:00:16 KST 2017
Build number: NRD90M.T713XXU2BQI1
Android security patch level: 1 August 2017

Current software version: T713XXU2BQI1/T7130XA2BQI1/

2 REPLIES 2
Superuser I
Superuser I

Usually a Factory Reset which youve carried out resolves such issues!

My advice is to take the tablet to a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre location can run a diagnostic on the device. 

If you do not have one local then contact Samsung to arrange to send it to them. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

First Poster

I've got exactly the same problem with my tab2. Only had it just over a year, bought it new, I'm so disappointed with it. Used to love my tab2, now i hate it. Battery drains faster than it charges, the screen has a hot spot near the volume/power buttons. Done a reset etc. So unless Samsung are going to do something about this, its going in the bin and I won't be buying another :(

Top Liked Authors