Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy Tab S2 9.7

(Topic created on: 05-04-2017 11:53 PM)
PrettyPolly
Journeyman
Options

Hello,  I'm an 87 year old GGGmother who has just received a Samsung Tablet S2 SM-T813 as a birthday gift.  I unpacked the tablet from the box and put it on charge.  Green battery appeared 100% after about two hours.  Having disconnected the charging cable I pressed the on button to start.  The Samsung logo appeared, quickly followed by another Samsung logo and the tablet came to life ..........  However, I only use the English language and the screen is all in Japanese or Chinese! 

How do I get English on screen, please?

I only know a little about these things and would greatly appreciate instructions that are easy to follow, please.

Thank you for any help.

0 Likes
10 REPLIES 10
JordanH
Pathfinder
Options

Hi @PrettyPolly!

Welcome to the Community. :cathappy:

This can be quite difficult when the whole Tablet is set in a different language. I'll try my best to describe this for you.

If you can go to your Settings app. This will look like a cog/gear icon. If you click this, you'll open up a long list of settings, each setting has its own icon.  

You then need to look for an icon which looks like a capital 'A' with three dots underneath. (This should be the 17th option down the list). This will then bring you to the languages section. Language is the top option once you've clicked the 'A' symbol. You should then see a list of different languages. Scroll until you see English (United Kingdom). 

PrettyPolly
Journeyman
Options

Thank you for your response to my cry for help!

Unfortunately, after switching on the unit there isn't the usual screen, that I've seen on other tablets, with applications and settings that one can select.  There is just a single line of Japanese text (with a yellow background), that when touched, takes me to a Wi-Fi screen  that shows my house Wi-Fi connection and the MAC address.  Nothing else ...............

The reset facility just closes the tab down and reopens with the same screen mentioned above.  I have been told how to do a 'HARD RESET' and I followed the instruction to reboot after clearing all caches, to no avail ... just back to the original opening screen.

Have you any other ideas to resolve the problem, please?

0 Likes
JordanH
Pathfinder
Options

It seems like you might be on the very first set up page there, @PrettyPolly

You will need to skip the whole set up process to then proceed to the steps I previously sent. 

Are you able to put your Wi-Fi details into the Tablet? If there is a button in the bottom right of the corner then this is most likely the skip button. If you can press that to skip through the set up procedure, you should then be able to locate my previous troubleshooting steps. 

Any screenshots/ images of the screens you've got will be more than helpful! 

0 Likes
PrettyPolly
Journeyman
Options
I have printed off your first message giving the procedure to use Settings.
I have taken some pictures of the screen in .jpg format. How do I send them to you using ordinary eMail?
I am unable to get past the Wi-Fi opening screen as everything is in Japanese or Chinese except my Wi-Fi login name.
Sorry if my knowledge is not that good but I do try!
0 Likes
Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

@JordanH would it not be easier to just start a hardreset so you know where to go from? (just an idea)

0 Likes
PrettyPolly
Journeyman
Options

Thank you for your suggestion.  Unfortunately, a hard reset runs through without problems but on rebooting, one is returned to the opening screen described in my earlier message - all instructions in Japanese/Chinese.

There is the opportunity to update from an SD card but somehow I have to obtain the relevent data and load onto a micro-SD card.

It is supposed to be an English language OS.  It was supplied with a genuine UK power pack.

PP

0 Likes
Solution
Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options

Ok so after the hard reset it "should" default to asking for a language 1st (even if everything is in a foreign language you should be able to scroll up and down until you find the word "English" once you select that all commands should be in English, you can use this to see what each screen should look like its a virtual system (acts the same as the tablet from start up). Hope that can guide you :smiling-face:

Sim here => http://publish.samsungsimulator.com/simulator/0063f239-bcef-4797-8033-9f3e7c9cf5d4/

PrettyPolly
Journeyman
Options

Thank you so very much for your help.

Once I was aware that the text between the lines would scroll through the languages, I just kept going!  It was an easy learning curve after that.

The demonstration link was exceedingly useful and made complete sense.

I am so pleased that I did not have to ask any of my children, grandchildren or greatgrandchildren to solve the problem .........  Grandmama, with great help from this community forum, has got her new toy (at87) working and enjoying using it when compared to her original, very small screen Samsung Wi-Fi tablet that is now several years old.

Thanks again for your kind help.

Phyllis P

Bades1978
Troubleshooter
Options
Enjoy :smiling-face:
0 Likes