Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy S8 Sim region lock

(Topic created on: 04-12-2017 03:15 PM)
rajkmohan
Apprentice
Options

Hi, 

I am staying in Switzerland. I am planning to buy S8 for my wife. But I came to know that S8 which I buy in Swiss will work only with European sim alone. but my wife will be travelling back to India in a some time so she need to use with indian Sim also. can someone sugges an option to buy S8 in switzerland that can work with any sim irrespective of region or suggest me options to overcoem this problem. 

69 REPLIES 69
AntS
Options

Hi @Anonymous User. :robothappy:

It very much depends on the relevant international network coverage where you are.

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

I would like to unlock a Samsung Galaxy S8 Duos of the Gulf Region in Europe. We would use a Dubai SIM card. Ideally we would like to insert the Dubai SIM the first time in Switzerland. Will this work?

Toeyin
First Poster
Options

Pls, my phone was bought as a gift and delivered to me. I'm in Nigeria with no available european sim. Kindly assist

0 Likes
AntS
Options

@Anonymous User: Sorry about the delay in reply. :robotembarrassed: It's less likely to work - but it'll very much depend on that Dubai network's coverage in Switzerland.

@Toeyin: The only way to disable the regional lock is with 5 minutes of cumlaltive talktime with a SIM of the same regional origin as the phone, so if you've got an EU phone you'd need an EU SIM to begin with.

Haris2395
Student
Options

Hi! I was just curious in knowng more about the region lock. 

So suppose if i buy my unlocked variant of S8 from Saudi Arabia and use it in India later and by following the above steps, it starts working.

So I wanted to ask, if I happen to reset my device later and set it up again. So do I need the SIM of Saudi again to unlock it or it shall remain unlocked and I shall directly be able to use my S8 with my Indian SIM?

0 Likes
TArik7
First Poster
Options
Hello everyone
Please I need urgent help!
My wife got me a Samsung s8+ In Sweden and it says on the box European SIM card only! And as I was going to remove the sticker I noticed it ... we live in Dubai so will the phone work?! Or should I return it. I tried calling Samsung but it’s weekend and no one is available please help
0 Likes
Haris2395
Student
Options

wrote:
Hello everyone
Please I need urgent help!
My wife got me a Samsung s8+ In Sweden and it says on the box European SIM card only! And as I was going to remove the sticker I noticed it ... we live in Dubai so will the phone work?! Or should I return it. I tried calling Samsung but it’s weekend and no one is available please help

The phone MAY work but the chances are, it will not. 

No need to panic.

You just need a SIM card from Sweden. Insert it in your phone and leave it for some time. Use internet, make some calls (if possible), then remove that SIM card and insert your Dubai SIM. 

It will work as usual. 

And IF your Sweden SIM doesn't show up in roaming state because since the phone is in Dubai now (out of region), then simply take it to the servie centre and they will unlock it for you.

Moff330
First Poster
Options
Bought the s8 in the UK
Was using a ee SIM and was working fine
Now returned home to South Africa and it won't except my sa SIM
Vodacom
Don't have my UK SIM with me so I can't make a 5 min call
Any other way to sort this region problem out
alyelnaggar
First Poster
Options

Hello,

I have purchased a European sim only samsung S8 from Germany and talked using a German Sim Card for weeks and it was working fine. Now I have put an Egyptian Sim Card and it asks me for a network unlock code. I cannot unlock the device although it was explicitly said from Samsung that after 5 minutes talktime it should work. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot in advance.

ozanb
Apprentice
Options

father brought a s8 from germany for myself to turkey, but didnt make a local 5 minute call...
updated system but didnt reboot it for it not to block sim... didnt put local sim for s8 to not block it, but connected wifi

• my father will go to switzerland 3 weeks later, should i wait him to make a local call there, also does it need to be germany card or switzerland sim card works fine?
  • turkish sim cards doesnt count as european right, does it count as middle east? what if i bought it from saudi arabia?

thank you in advance

0 Likes