Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I upgrade my samsung table E SM-T561 to android 8? if yes what is the process?

(Topic created on: 24-02-2020 02:25 PM)
ptieugni
Student
Options

I have software to instlal on our company tablets, but it requires at least Android 8, while E sm-t561 we have are running version 4.4.4.

Can I upgrade my samsung table E SM-T561 to android 8? if yes, what is the process?

5 REPLIES 5
AndrewL
Options
@ptieugni: If your Tab E is on Android 4.4.4 then you are currently on the most recent available version for your model, therefore you unfortunately won't be able to Android 8. Apologies for any disappointment this may cause.
0 Likes
ptieugni
Student
Options

ok thank you for your update

0 Likes
Rajeev1
First Poster
Options

Yes me too want to know about the date when we will be able to update the operating system? Because we can't even download Google meet.

0 Likes
EtasDestiny01
First Poster
Options

What can we do SAMSUNG we want to download some applications but the version won't allow us. Help us upgrade..

dave2000
First Poster
Options

Hi all, first post and looking for some help, long post but as much info as possible to save people suggesting fixes that don't work.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab SM-T561, I purchased it new around 4 - 5 years ago and it has been fantastic!  I purchased it to use for just two reasons, first it's primary use was as a mapping tablet in my 4x4 within Europe, and it's second was to have a different phone SIM supplier from my mobile phone just in case coverage was not good, this gave me the option to use multiple networks if a little out of one network range.

I have been using 'Viewranger' mapping software during the last few years and that too has been perfect, apart from the large overall maps you could purchase and download high magnification 'tiles' of your planned routes, sadly Viewranger has been taken over by 'Outdooractive' and frankly it is rubbish, plenty of complaints from those being forced to swap given you have already purchased the so called lifetime maps from VR, and when you ask OA why this or that does not work their answer is always 'we are working on it' and have been for the last two years!!

I decided to start using Gaia maps, but then found although they work with my much newer mobile, they do not work with my tablet. and so tried 'maps.me' and again the same issue. I tried others and the same issue , it seems that as my tablet android version is 4.4.4 then it is not compatible, but I really do not want to bin a perfect tablet which has been ultra reliable just because it cannot have 'X' mapping software. 

I have seen a couple of really vague apparent upgrades on youtube (firmware and so forth) but none seem to be very clear, and the last thing I want to do is ruin my tablet, I am reasonably IT savvy (Ex IT lecturer) but recent brain cancer surgery has left me with gaps in my memory and minor 'fits' breaking my concentration, so my driving licence has been pulled however, if I pass my next set of cognitive and clinical tests in June I will be back behind the wheel within minutes and straight up the mountains, and of course want to be going with a fully working tablet with maps.  The software update was done automatically and if I understand the 'about device' the last software upgrade was 2016? 

Your thoughts please about the possibility of any upgrade which may allow the tablet to work with some other mapping software and of course if possible then in 'baby steps' so I can follow.

Thanks in advance and I would appreciate any help whatsoever with this.

Regards

Dave

0 Likes