Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Android Pie (9.0) for Galaxy Tab S4

(Topic created on: 02-05-2019 01:05 AM)
Dunestorm
Explorer
Options

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows when Samsung is planning to release the Android Pie (9.0) update for the Galaxy Tab S4? The tablet itself is great but there are many great features in 9.0, such as the much improved task manager considering the current implementation feels very cramped. Gesture based navigation and adaptive battery life improvements also come to mind.

104 REPLIES 104
Itztrev
Journeyman
Options

Tbh I think the big issue here now is that we have had zero security updates for the tab S4, in this day and age we need to be safe online, don't  forget how much we paid for what we thought was a decent piece of kit with the backup from a multinational company who I thought would care about customers and our online safety, then we have the lack of urgency to give us the pie update, again don't forget how much we paid for a premium Samsung tablet, Samsung has really gone down in my estimations and I will steer clear of them in the future 😞

xpusostomos
Explorer
Options

All the people saying they need a security update, don't know how security works. The chance that the core Android OS needs a security update are extremely unlikely. Most attacks come via apps, like the browser, and the browser has been updated this month, whether you are on Oreo or Pie or whatever. Don't whinge about security  updates unless you know about an attack vector that isn't patched.  For goodness sake, Samsung is STILL selling brand new tablets with Android 5.0 Lollipop, and the world isn't ending, and nobody is getting hacked.

0 Likes
grxgghxrpxr
Apprentice
Options

I agree with the previous post. Not only that, there are multiple free antivirus services that help you with many areas of security across your device.

0 Likes
Dunestorm
Explorer
Options

We should be holding Samsung up to a certain standard rather than coming up with excuses for their incompetence with software updates.

cabledog1980
Journeyman
Options

Samsung has a long history of being terrible with updates. I think it is several things that cause this. Their relationship with Google is not the best, they have a love hate relationship hence Bixby which I think they should give up. Then there is the provider all over the world they have to have their devices work correctly with. Many other reasons, and I am not taking up for Samsung because their severe lack of customer  support, and not letting us know anything at all is a PITA! I have a love hate relationship with them as well, I love their products and technology when they are working as promised, but hate even thinking about trying to get support or answers. Even when you actually talk to a human at support they have no clue and pass you through 10 different people for 2 hours with no conclusion or answer, after wasting your life with them. Don't get me started with how bad they screwed up my S3 watch PRE or two years ago. 4 month nightmare, picked one up at best buy and called Samsung to cancel my order. Which they immediately charged my account $400 and then after 2 more hours on the phone I got my money back 2 weeks later. Golden Rule with Samsung before you buy anything, never buy it until you read about the product and reviews. Their advertisements are useless along with release dates. Rant over sorry.

xpusostomos
Explorer
Options

This is how it is with Samsung. They want to differentiate themselves from the rest of the Android universe. They half heartedly want to be another Apple. So take the Samsung reminders app. They built it to be like Apple, and at least try and solve the ***** show that is Google reminders. In itself, it's probably a fine app. But you can't ask Google assistant to add a reminder to Samsung reminders. So they had to build Bixby, and replace google assistent.  Or take Samsung's equivlient of live photos. A nice feature, but Google photos doesn't support it. So they had to replace Google photos. Or take Google Keep vs Samsung notes. Keep doesn't fully support the whole stylus thing the way Samsung wants, so they needed their own notes app. And so forth. All this chains off everything else, until Samsung needs an entire parallel set of apps. And overall, while they have some nice features in them, they are not as good as Google's and you're mostly better off ignoring them.

cabledog1980
Journeyman
Options

Amen you nailed it! Fighting with inadequate fire lol.

0 Likes
cabledog1980
Journeyman
Options

I just got a badge for posting, that I have been a good member. Lol. Now we know for sure they do not read anything we post! 

larryoma
First Poster
Options

Samsung has already started rolling out Android Pie (9.0) update for Galaxy Tab S4. You can see more details on this website Gizmolad

0 Likes
Itztrev
Journeyman
Options

I was reading that Samsung has improved security with the pie update, which would indicate they know of a weakness which also contradicts what you are saying, so I'll stick with my concerns.