Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 27-04-2019 12:04 PM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

Just buy a new nvidia shield tv and enjoy atmos. It's not worth to wait till Samsung maybe does or maybe doesn't do something. I fought for months to get the money for my q85r back as it didn't work like it should and finally solved my needs without hoping that Samsung will help out.

0 Likes
_oSo_
Navigator
Options
I also did some testing using my Samsung Q90R tv (2019), Xbox One X and the Q90R soundbar.

First set up
1) tv connected to soundbar using Arc
2) Xbox One X connected to soundbar using HDMI 1 on soundbar

Results: I get Dolby atmos from Xbox One X and tested it using the Dolby atmos app that is available for download for the Xbox. The sound is impressive and I can hear all the speakers firing up with the Dolby atmos demos available from the app. The app also lets you set up your devices to properly receive the Dolby atmos signal
Netflix app on Xbox gives me Dolby atmos but image quality is bad, I don't think it’s 4k UHD.
Disney + app on Xbox no Dolby atmos at all, not even 5.1, just basic surround, horrible sound and video quality.

Second set up
1) tv connected to soundbar via Arc
2) Xbox connected to tv via HDMI 1 on tv

Results: I get Dolby atmos from Native Netflix app on tv, compressed, not even close to what I get from Netflix app on Xbox when using the previous set up.
I do not get any Dolby atmos from the Xbox at all (Netflix or from the Dolby atmos app).

Overall the Dolby atmos sound is by far better when I have the xBox connected directly to the soundbar. In comparison with the dolby atmos I get from the tv native apps. All this at a great cost “image quality is bad”
The compressed version of Dolby atmos from Netflix native app on the q90R tv is good but not as good as what I get from the Xbox. Video quality is great when watching native apps from the tv.

Also there is a problem turning on and or off the tv + soundbar + Xbox.

With the Xbox connected directly to the soundbar I have to constantly be swithing HDMI inputs and for that I can only do it with the soundbar remote. The tv remote doesn’t turn on the tv and soundbar together. And also the Xbox needs to be turned on individually.

With the Xbox connected to the tv and the soundbar connected to the tv via arc all I need is my tv remote. It easily turns on or off all devices. I even get an Xbox icon on the tv menu and the tv automatically switches to the HDMI source I’ll be using without having to use more than one remote. This is by far my favorite set up but I am unhappy because I don't get the real atmos sound that I experienced with the Xbox connected directly to the soundbar.

At this moment I’m settling for video quality over sound, this is unfortunate because the purpose of having a great soundbar is to experience great quality sound. I believe my tv has a lot to do with this too. Not just the soundbar. And as someone mentioned previously, it seems like the perfect match of Samsung Q90R tv and soundbar is not so perfect at all.
0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

And as I mentioned, go for a 2019 shield tv and connect it directly to the soundbar. You will still have to deal with switching Inputs but you will have amazing sound and image. I was, by the way, able to setup the shield in a way were he turned on TV and Soundbar just with a push on the shield remote.

0 Likes
Jmears
First Poster
Options

I have a Q9FN, a KS8000, MU9000 and various other lower end models. I will tell you this though, the Q9FN is the last Samsung TV I buy. I now have two LG OLED TVs and I love them. The picture quality is superior and they have Dolby vision and Atmos. Samsung has been beaten but with the clever marketing of QLED and the lower prices, they stay on top. Everyone should buy an OLED for their primary TV at least because they are superior in every way. Samsung also has not been helpful with many issues I have had and even got me for 1K dollars on my 75 inch Q9FN which I received  3 months after I ordered it and 49 days after it arrives the price dropped 1K. They wouldn't work with me at all and that says a lot about a company especially when you have proven to be a loyal customer. Go LG OLED folks!!!

0 Likes
Victordlsb
Explorer
Options

It's a goddamn shame that with a 2018 TV (Q7FN) I cannot reproduce Dolby Atmos on my HW Q90R soundbar. They simply don't want to do that small effort. Shame on Samsung 

artur11
Apprentice
Options

Hello friend I also bought a Qled Q9FN TV and I was even more unhappy when I bought Samsung's QR 9 soundbar and it didn't take advantage of dolby atmos and dolby X sound, so I bought an Apple TV 4K and it solved me all this sad, I think that with an update from Samsung solved a lot a hug and good luck.

0 Likes
frodale
First Poster
Options

Hello Leet2274, i have the same setup as you q9fn, hw n850,  in addition i bought the swa 9000s, still i cannot get the rear speakers to work with youtube, have you ever solved this?

0 Likes
LarsDalgaard
Student
Options

Guys..

I too have a 2018 QLED 7 series and no Atmos to my Onkyo... Amazon Prime does..

Had a chat with samsung who send me to netflix who listened to my woes.. but couldnt promise anything

Samsung says Netflix produces the app

Netflix couldn´t confirm that the feature would be added

It sucks.. my Netflix App version is also 8, but it seems we should look to Netflix to upate the app, we know the TV can send Atmos because of Amazon Prime, so I told Netflix it must be a matter of coding

Crossing my fingers..

Victordlsb
Explorer
Options

Does any ATMOS indication appear on your Soundbar and the Amazon app? Did you set up something specific for it to work? Thanks!

0 Likes