Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 29-10-2019 05:06 PM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

I can't judge it for myself and rely on others for the Q90R soundbar. What I can say for sure is that different manufacturers of receivers did add eARC to their hardware by software update such as  maranz or denon. I can try to find the posts again were the guys with LG TV's state that they get Atmos working. I don't think that the TV does a realtime re-encoding from real Atmos to it's DD+ variant but also here, I don't really know it.

zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
Yes, a few other brands like Sony got updates for their soundbars to offer eARC all expect for Samsung.

I have an LG C9 and yes, Dolby atmos does work but it’s compressed. I’m confused by your reply as I’m not entirely sure what you’re trying to say. Either way you look at this soundbar or other Q series soundbars don’t allow eARC.
0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

Okay. The initial question was, if it may be possible to update the Q-Series TV to eARC and there I statet that other brands did it, so it may be possible without beeing 100% sure about it. There I also mentioned that Samsung did it for the Soundbar but also mentioned that I rely there on infos from people in other forums as I can't test it myself because my TV doesn't support it at all.

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
Ahh right, well in theory it should be possible to update it to eARC depending on the hardware built in to the Q series soundbars. I guess it also comes down to if Samsung want to or will update it in future. Yes, there is information stating that Samsung updated their soundbars to support eARC but currently this is false and doesn’t not support eARC at this time. I have tested it myself and cannot receive HD audio that’s lossless. Hope this helps.
0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

I just found an other guy who claimed yesterday that on his side a LG C9 with an XBOX ONE connected to it was able to pass Atmos to the Soundbar. Post 402:

http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-266-4937-9.html

Here a translation of his post:

"I just tried it. Xbox One X connected to LG C98 and Dolby Atmos output set on Xbox. Arrives at the sound bar."

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
Yes you can still get atmos through standard arc, I can on my C9. That still doesn’t mean it’s eARC. You will still get atmos but it’s compressed version through Dolby digital + rather than HD
0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

So the xbox delivers trueHD and the tv transcodes it in realtime to dd+? At least my q85r can't do that if I connect the XBOX to my TV Atmos isn't available.

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
That’s exactly it, yes either the tv will compress it to DD+ or it’ll send it to the soundbar to DD+.

This topic is all over Twitter now too, more and more people have tested it and confirmed there is no eARC on this soundbar or any other Q SERIES soundbars. Which is a massive shame. I wouldn’t be surprised if they never updated it and just added it to 2020 model
0 Likes
mike1986krk
Navigator
Options

That would be really a bummer. Q80R Sundbars user guide states that this bar supports:

LPCM 8ch, Dolby Digital,
Dolby Atmos (True HD / Digital Plus), DTS:X

And there is nothing about True HD not being supported by an HDMI ARC port.

0 Likes
zhspence
Pathfinder
Options
Yes, those are the formats the soundbar support but that doesn’t mean it will produce it. Without compatible sources it will not passthrough HD sound. The user guide will not talk about the ins and outs of HDMI arc as that’s not their prime concern. They’re telling you about what the soundbar can do, but it can’t do it unless you have eARC if you’re passing it through HDMI arc.

HDMI arc does not have the bandwidth to send lossless HD sound through whereas eARC does. Arc can only produce lossy sound at a max of 5.1. You can find may articles online that will tell you what arc is capable of but I can assure standard ac can not pass HD Audio through. My tv and this Q90 support HD audio but it can’t pass it through because it has no eARC and like I said about bandwidth arc allows like 1mbps compared to eARC that allowed 37mbps which is a massive difference.
0 Likes