Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

why no Dolby Atmos on samsung Netflix App???

(Topic created on: 25-10-2019 07:13 AM)
Leet2274
Pioneer
Options

i have Q9FN and HW N850 Atmos Soundbar

when using Netflix App on the TV, i went into Expert Audio Settings and it lets me select "dolby digital +" for audio ouput

the hw n850 sounbar supports Atmos

yet when on netlfix still only get crappy 5.1 sound

ive owned a sony xf9005 recently and their netflix app gives Dolby Atmos sound using "dolby digital +" , yes it is "lossy" dolby atmos but still sounds much better than DD 5.1

so my question is why are Samsung not updating their Netflix App to have Dolby Atmos. i have what is required here, dolby digital + selected on q9fn and atmos capable hw n850 soundbar. this is all thats required for "lossy Dolby Atmos" same as you get on 2018 sony & LG tv's

come on samsung, please sort this out by updating to a atmos capable Netflix APP version. its all thats needed

its bad enough having no DTS after spending £2000 on your tv & sounbar, the very least you can do to keep customers a little bit happier is Fix this one

632 REPLIES 632
_oSo_
Navigator
Options

Hello Everyone. I have a 2019 Q90R tv 65" and I recently bought the HW-Q90R sound bar from Samsung. This sound bar is supposed to be design to match the high end QLED TV's. Assuming I have the perfect match of high end Samsung QLED tv and sound bar I would expect to have the best quality of sound and image I can possibly get. I've been testing my set up with Netflix and I see the Atmos logo on some movies and shows. Same happens when using the VUDU app on some movies and shows if streaming the UHD versions. The Apple TV app however doesn't give me the option for Dolby ATMOS yet. I believe this is an app problem. 
Aside from that when streaming from Netflix and Vudu even if I see the Atmos logo on the screen I really don't hear the incredible sound that people with Atmos compatible systems hear and talk about. There is definitely a superior quality sound over the regular Dolby 5.1 and other sound formats. I streamed the following shows/movies: Bright, San Andreas, Punisher, Lost in Space,  WU Assasins and a few more. Some of this are considered the best Atmos movies to test the system. No big helicopter effect or rain or 3D sound experience. Because if this I really qonder if I'm listening to real Atmos sound or just some kind of high quality Dolby sound. The tv settings show Dolby+ active and the sound bar shows are when streaming from this sources. 
Let me know what you think and/or any suggestions to test this system and confirm if it's real Atmos quality sound or something else. 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@_oSo_ wrote:

Hello Everyone. I have a 2019 Q90R tv 65" and I recently bought the HW-Q90R sound bar from Samsung. This sound bar is supposed to be design to match the high end QLED TV's. Assuming I have the perfect match of high end Samsung QLED tv and sound bar I would expect to have the best quality of sound and image I can possibly get. I've been testing my set up with Netflix and I see the Atmos logo on some movies and shows. Same happens when using the VUDU app on some movies and shows if streaming the UHD versions. The Apple TV app however doesn't give me the option for Dolby ATMOS yet. I believe this is an app problem. 
Aside from that when streaming from Netflix and Vudu even if I see the Atmos logo on the screen I really don't hear the incredible sound that people with Atmos compatible systems hear and talk about. There is definitely a superior quality sound over the regular Dolby 5.1 and other sound formats. I streamed the following shows/movies: Bright, San Andreas, Punisher, Lost in Space,  WU Assasins and a few more. Some of this are considered the best Atmos movies to test the system. No big helicopter effect or rain or 3D sound experience. Because if this I really qonder if I'm listening to real Atmos sound or just some kind of high quality Dolby sound. The tv settings show Dolby+ active and the sound bar shows are when streaming from this sources. 
Let me know what you think and/or any suggestions to test this system and confirm if it's real Atmos quality sound or something else. 

The Samsung  does not have a Netflix Atmos app.  Have you set the apple TV to output bitstreme?

_oSo_
Navigator
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@_oSo_ wrote:

The Samsung  does not have a Netflix Atmos app.  Have you set the apple TV to output bitstreme?

This is what I see on the Netflix app for Samsung when streaming something with Atmos sound. Before, a few weeks ago, the Atmos icon would not appear on the same show, that changed maybe like 2 weeks ago. 
Also for the Apple TV app for Samsung. How do you set up bitstreme, I don't see that option on the apps settings. 

7E621C1A-EAC3-4002-8B4B-A30CE553FABB.jpeg

0 Likes
_oSo_
Navigator
Options

Another screenshot from the Netflix app on the Samsung QLED Q90R with the HW-Q90R soundbar. Netflix app lets me select Audio with English Atmos.

8899A03B-58F6-454B-9397-BBC41CDAAE0B.jpeg

0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

Well, Netflix uses an Dolby Digital+ compressed version of Atmos. This is also, why the TV at all is able, to pass this to the Soundbar through ARC. True Atmos requires eARC, what the TV don't supports. I saw somewhere that Netflix uses 768kbit for Atmos streams. Thats obviously nothing compared what real Atmos needs. If you want hear what your Soundsystem is capable of, use an XBOX one or an Nvidia Shield directly connected to the Soundbar and watch something like Mad Max.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@primalair wrote:

Well, Netflix uses an Dolby Digital+ compressed version of Atmos. This is also, why the TV at all is able, to pass this to the Soundbar through ARC. True Atmos requires eARC, what the TV don't supports. I saw somewhere that Netflix uses 768kbit for Atmos streams. Thats obviously nothing compared what real Atmos needs. If you want hear what your Soundsystem is capable of, use an XBOX one or an Nvidia Shield directly connected to the Soundbar and watch something like Mad Max

Hi, I have a shield and at the moment the Netflix app does not send a Atmos signal yet. I can confirm my laptop using windows 10 does.   

Paul

primalair
Pathfinder
Options

Netflix on Shield doesn't support Atmos at the moment but there is also no reason to do that because the Netflix Stream is still the same. What I use is a Shield with Plex where I can play high bitrate MKV's with TrueHD Soundtracks.

artur11
Apprentice
Options
hello friend i would like to know what you did to get dolby atmos sound on your soundbar i also have a qled tv q9fn and soundbar q9r just like yours and i can't get dolby atmos, thanks for your attention
0 Likes
primalair
Pathfinder
Options

@artur11  as far as I know the models before 2019 don't support Atmos by now. I assume yours is a 2018 model, right?

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@primalair wrote:

@artur11  as far as I know the models before 2019 don't support Atmos by now. I assume yours is a 2018 model, right?

I thought no Samsung models support the atmos Netflix app. 

0 Likes