Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samsung ue49mu6402 tv help

(Topic created on: 21-01-2018 04:12 AM)
Diabeto
Student
Options

my smart tv not working in fullscreen when i play movies. i got black bars on both top and bottom side.i tried uhd 4k resolution full hd and hd movies aswell, and its always like that. i checked the resolution options its 16:9. i only have this issue when i try to watch movies from my external hard drive.should i get another movie player, or how can i solve this issue? i got the default media player.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
@Diabeto wrote:

my smart tv not working in fullscreen when i play movies. i got black bars on both top and bottom side.i tried uhd 4k resolution full hd and hd movies aswell, and its always like that. i checked the resolution options its 16:9. i only have this issue when i try to watch movies from my external hard drive.should i get another movie player, or how can i solve this issue? i got the default media player.

@Anonymous User @Diabeto , pretty sure this is to do with the Aspect ratio as many modern movies will have black bars on Tv, the format for Tv shows is 16:9 whereas the cinema standard is 21:9. Do modern movies display any differently from services such as Rakuten, Netflix and Amazon if you have accessed them? It is possible to Zoom in (with proviso that quality may be affected) but as far as am aware only the case with HDMI sources  and not for instance TV apps, also seems it does not work with UHD content.  For Tv content you need to use the custom setting (from guide)

Adjusting the picture size and/or position Settings Picture Picture Size Settings Zoom and Position Try Now " This function is available only if Picture Size is set to Custom. " To change the picture position on analogue channels, first enlarge the picture and then change the position.

Fitting the picture to the screen Settings Picture Picture Size Settings Fit to screen Try Now " The availability of this function depends on the Picture Size. " The availability of this function depends on broadcasting signals. Adjusting the picture size and/or position Settings Picture Picture Size Settings Zoom and Position Try Now " This function is available only if Picture Size is set to Custom. " To change the picture position on analogue channels, first enlarge the picture and then change the position.

I'm including some info on aspect ratio here:

Rtings Aspect Ratio

Home Theatre Aspect Ratio

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Diabeto
Student
Options
Hi JAMES4578!

Thank you for your reply.I talked to samsung support,even tried the remote access on my tv,but they said its not the tv's or the tv's softwares bug.They said i cant install any other mediaplayer on the tv.I can use netflix or other sources,but thats not a soulution for my problem.The aspect ratio is 16:9 on my tv by default.Everything is fine but when i try to play mkv format movies from my external hard drive connected on the tv by usb(sony 1tb, exfat filesystem) i always have blackbars.I tried to play some movies which are the exact same aspect ratio as my tv 3840x2160 (2160p uhd movies) and i still have this problem.I can set the resolution to custom and strech the screen,i wont get black bars then but it looks bad.I try to update my software manually ,but i really dont think it will solve the problem.The tv (UE49MU6402) wasnt cheap, and it really disappointing that it cant handle playing 4k uhd movies in fullscreen whereas they advertise this tv as 4k uhd tv 3840x 2160 resolution.Thanks for the tips ,
Regards
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@Diabeto wrote:
Hi JAMES4578!

Thank you for your reply.I talked to samsung support,even tried the remote access on my tv,but they said its not the tv's or the tv's softwares bug.They said i cant install any other mediaplayer on the tv.I can use netflix or other sources,but thats not a soulution for my problem.The aspect ratio is 16:9 on my tv by default.Everything is fine but when i try to play mkv format movies from my external hard drive connected on the tv by usb(sony 1tb, exfat filesystem) i always have blackbars.I tried to play some movies which are the exact same aspect ratio as my tv 3840x2160 (2160p uhd movies) and i still have this problem.I can set the resolution to custom and strech the screen,i wont get black bars then but it looks bad.I try to update my software manually ,but i really dont think it will solve the problem.The tv (UE49MU6402) wasnt cheap, and it really disappointing that it cant handle playing 4k uhd movies in fullscreen whereas they advertise this tv as 4k uhd tv 3840x 2160 resolution.Thanks for the tips ,
Regards
Hi Diabeto, Thanks for the update, realise it is issue but does not seem immediate resolution. Removing black bars does affect quality and as I say there are technical reasons (though know can be bugbear) however sure this is not confined to this particular model or Samsung sets.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.