Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@barrybrown wrote:

mate great thread and keep me updated with any results im about to go to see the manager of my richer sounds we bought a 49ks8000 and a panasonic 40 inch 4k set and the panasonic doing the bbc uhd at 1 third the price.I will chip in for a small claims test case

b

Just keep watching this thread and the ks refund thread.

Paul

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

@Sam-Knp wrote:

"the US gets HDR10+ for 2016 and we don't. " - why is it so complicated to push the same firmware here in UK ?

all the models are the same they have KN and we have KS prefixes - inside chips / boards should all be the same - in my opinion..I am an IT consultant by profession and I can only map this scenario to my field - one windows update rolled across the globe...!

Has US (2016) got HDR10+ update?  

NO. The USA and Canada are the same model anyway!

The American KS 2016 owners have been screaming about HDR10+ like we have for months. They absolutely do not have HDR10+ support yet.

Re: that Canada letter - Samsung HQ in each country is playing a "divide and rule" game. People are sending the wrong press releases when they write their letters, they should be quoting from the GLOBAL press release which promised it, to avoid handing Samsung on a plate the chance to reply with that "country specific" lie.

That Canadian letter is wrong if it implies Americans have HDR10+ firmwares on the exact same model of TV. 

Samsung and Amazon Video Deliver Next Generation HDR Video Experience with Updated Open Standard HDR10+ | News | Samsung QLED TV

http://www.samsung.com/global/tv/news/samsung-and-amazon-video-deliver-next-generation-hdr-video-exp...

All of Samsung’s 2017 UHD TVs, including its premium QLED TV lineup, support HDR10+. In the second half of this year, Samsung’s 2016 UHD TVs will gain HDR10+ support through a firmware update.
NB: there is no room for doubt or speculation here. This wasn't a forbes news article or some other rumour. It was a press release, cleared through all the internal legal departments, and published on Samsung's website. As far as I'm concerned it is a firm commitment.

Now on to firmwares. There are basically 3 "chassis" for our TV. You can see which one you have on the "Contact Samsung" page.

• T-JZMDEUC, sold across Europe, CIS and parts of Middle East and North Africa.
  • T-JZMUABC, sold in Australia, Asia Pacific, other parts of Middle East and North Africa, and Latin America
  • T-JZMAKUC, sold in Canada and South Korea. And America.

Firmwares are not interchangeble between the chassis, but the functionality is very very similar. The Americans don't have Picture In Picture for example, but we all have HLG, YouTube HDR, etc.

If any website publishes the T-JZMDEUC firmware upgrades before the UK one does, we can all easily download it from there and install. It's the exactly same binary file byte for byte, for all T-JZMDEUC models. This is why you'll see lots of American talking about installing the "Korean" firmware because it got published ealier than theirs. They didn't of course - they just installed the exact same T-JZMAKUC firmware which eventually turns up on the American support page.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

I heard yes also on avsforums not sure if it's only on KS8000 and above there though. Also don't gorget there is zero HDR10+ content right now so maybe Samsung are waiting to see if it catches on over here?

Far from there being zero HDR10+ content, Amazon's claim is that EVERYTHING is now HDR10+ which used to be HDR10.

That is LOTS of titles.

The problem is that they are holding all the cards. It's an internal app on the TV, so we can't bring up the HDMI "Info" screen to check what the signal is. Unless and until they change their app, there is no way to check, and we have only their word to go on.

But their word is that everything streamed from the app that's HDR, on TVs that support HDR10+, is HDR10+ instead of HDR10. Of course, their search is broken, and they have an unbeliavably stupid policy of listing HDR titles separately so you can't add them from the website a PC etc, so it's very difficult to get a list, other than lots of manual scrolling on the TV.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

I heard yes also on avsforums not sure if it's only on KS8000 and above there though. Also don't gorget there is zero HDR10+ content right now so maybe Samsung are waiting to see if it catches on over here?

Far from there being zero HDR10+ content, Amazon's claim is that EVERYTHING is now HDR10+ which used to be HDR10.

That is LOTS of titles.

The problem is that they are holding all the cards. It's an internal app on the TV, so we can't bring up the HDMI "Info" screen to check what the signal is. Unless and until they change their app, there is no way to check, and we have only their word to go on.

But their word is that everything streamed from the app that's HDR, on TVs that support HDR10+, is HDR10+ instead of HDR10.

Do you believed their word??????

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

That is LOTS of titles.

But their word is that everything streamed from the app that's HDR, on TVs that support HDR10+, is HDR10+ instead of HDR10. Of course, their search is broken, and they have an unbeliavably stupid policy of listing HDR titles separately so you can't add them from the website a PC etc, so it's very difficult to get a list, other than lots of manual scrolling on the TV.

It shouldn't be hard for the TV to show it's a HDR10+ feed on the info, so you know what you are getting. 

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

That is LOTS of titles.

But their word is that everything streamed from the app that's HDR, on TVs that support HDR10+, is HDR10+ instead of HDR10.

Do you believed their word??????

I said very clearly we have no way of knowing. They are holding all the cards.

But the process of generating the dynamic metadata for HDR10+ is automatic (http://www.techradar.com/news/dolby-vision-or-hdr10-dolby-wants-you-to-have-both) and the launch was delayed from September. My view is this is presumably while they were generating all the metadata for their HDR10 catalogue. It would be stupid for a company the size of Amazon them to lie about it because it's in their press release, it's the first launch of the format so their partners Samsung would be mighty pissed off, and they have no reason to lie because they'll easily be found out when someone has an external device which can read the metadata

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

It shouldn't be hard for the TV to show it's a HDR10+ feed on the info, so you know what you are getting. 

Do you have one of these TVs? :smiling-face: If you did, you'd realise that the Info - as I said each time - is for input devices only. It does nothing in Apps. Apps get given the whole screen.

I will repeat this yet again even though I'm becoming blue in the face: Amazon are holding all the cards. Until and unless Amazon change THEIR app, we won't know.

Here's a page where they claim that they have changed their app:

https://www.primevideo.com/help/ref=dv_web_help_nd_nd?_encoding=UTF8&nodeId=202065160

HDR10+

• - Select UHD Samsung TVs (2017 and later models) can stream Amazon Video content In the HDR10+ format. If your television is compatible, and the Amazon Video title supports it, an "HDR10+" label appears instead of the normal "HDR" label in the video details.

However!

Several different American users, with 2017 models, have reported they don't see this in the app. Even though they are the "lucky few" who actually can stream HDR10+ now.

So the current thinking is the help page was release before the app change has been made. It's been reported to Samsung/Amazon but that was only two days ago so nothing has changed since then.

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@barrybrown wrote:

mate great thread and keep me updated with any results im about to go to see the manager of my richer sounds we bought a 49ks8000 and a panasonic 40 inch 4k set and the panasonic doing the bbc uhd at 1 third the price.I will chip in for a small claims test case

b

Paul

Just came back from currys, swapped ks9000 with LGE oled c7, TV will be delivered on Tuesday

Mine had developed a fault as well exercised my right to reject under consumer rights act 2015, those who do not have fault can still exercise same rights as retailers are in breach of contract under section 11 for smart things promise

I must say Curry's have been wonderful, they helped with replacement, unlike pathetic and useless Samsung support who only make excuses

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

I am also getting blue in the face. Why when I asked Samsung about the HDR10+ they said they had no plans for UK 2016 models, just like with BBC HLG and Smart Connect??????

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@barrybrown wrote:

b

Paul

Just came back from currys, swapped ks9000 with LGE oled c7, TV will be delivered on Tuesday

Mine had developed a fault as well exercised my right to reject under consumer rights act 2015, those who do not have fault can still exercise same rights as retailers are in breach of contract under section 11 for smart things promise

Glad you got a result, what was the fault?

Let us know how the new telly compares.

0 Likes