Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
rozel
Voyager
Options

@Jay108   I am very surprised you are getting poor results with your Roku SS+ .  I have the very same TV (firmware 1242) and streaming stick and have enjoyed fabulous results since the World Cup BBC and Planet Earth Trials, Netflix and Amazon Prime.  My only issue is getting it to kick-in properly in the first instance (it kicks in but the PQ shows "washed-out" colours)  - I have to toggle the inputs, either on my Receiver or on my TV and the same, if I want to continue watching but in non-HDR-HLG, otherwise I get Viivid PQ x 5 lol!  My devices (including an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K which works fabulously too) are plugged into my Yamaha Receiver, including SkyQ box.  I have a V3 Q box and Sky's HDR-HLG downloads are similarly amazing!  If I were to plug my devices into the One Connect Box, then this "toggling of inputs" isn't necessary.  Strange phenominon but have stopped asking why I suffer from this issue on Forums and by Googling.  I think the issue is with my Receiver.

But IMHO the Roku SS+ rocks!  and provides glorious HDR-HLG.  I would just mention a couple of things whilst posting: -

1.  The Fire TV Stick has been removed from the list of the BBC's Approved Devices, so as and when they restart broadcasting HDR-HLG programmes, this device won't show them, unless Amazon pull their digits out.

2.  If you have a non-compatible SkQ box, then you won't be able to do anything about it for at least a couple of months until Sky change their policy - refer to the Sky Q Community Forum

rozel
Voyager
Options

@AndyC   Sorry but the KS TV's definately do adjust PQ for HDR programmes automatically.  You'll be able to check this in 3 ways: -

1.  Your eyes will tell you

2.  Press "info" on the remote

3.  Check the Backlight setting in Picture Settings (Expert) - it jumps to Max 20

I have the KS9500 and never had an issue apart from the "toggling" to kick in the PQ quality - see my above post - I'm on Firmware 1242.  However if you are set to "Vivid" and/or HDR+, then this negates the HDR-HLG and it won't show.  Hope this helps

AndyC
Journeyman
Options

Hi @rozel 

I'm quite experienced with HDR on the Tv. Been enjoying it for a while now from several sources. Xbox One X, Plex, 4k blu ray etc.

I have the KS7000. It correctly detects an HDR signal when played over HDMI or internal apps.  But the backlight definitely did not jump to 100% out of the box. I had to play an HDR signal and adjust it manually after which it maintained that setting forever more. There is a YouTube video about it. Perhaps the KS7000 behaves differently? An older TV now, but still produces a lovely picture once calibrated correctly. Owned it about 3 years now.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@rozel wrote:

1.  The Fire TV Stick has been removed from the list of the BBC's Approved Devices, so as and when they restart broadcasting HDR-HLG programmes, this device won't show them, unless Amazon pull their digits out.

This is very frustrating.  I used to hava a Roku SS+ but sold it.  At the back end of last year bought a Fire Stick 4K.  There was a glitch with BBC HLG.  The issue was that the BBC log would constantly flash up on screen and it was pulled in December.  I have contacted Amazon a couple of times but just get a load of waffle that it will be fixed.  TBH I doubt it ever will.  When the BBC re start their HLG trial I will buy a Roku as that will be my only option as I do not subscribe to Virgin Media or Sky.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@rozel wrote:

@Jay108   I am very surprised you are getting poor results with your Roku SS+ .  I have the very same TV (firmware 1242) and streaming stick and have enjoyed fabulous results since the World Cup BBC and Planet Earth Trials, Netflix and Amazon Prime.  My only issue is getting it to kick-in properly in the first instance (it kicks in but the PQ shows "washed-out" colours)  - I have to toggle the inputs, either on my Receiver or on my TV and the same, if I want to continue watching but in non-HDR-HLG, otherwise I get Viivid PQ x 5 lol!  My devices (including an Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K which works fabulously too) are plugged into my Yamaha Receiver, including SkyQ box.  I have a V3 Q box and Sky's HDR-HLG downloads are similarly amazing!  If I were to plug my devices into the One Connect Box, then this "toggling of inputs" isn't necessary.  Strange phenominon but have stopped asking why I suffer from this issue on Forums and by Googling.  I think the issue is with my Receiver.

But IMHO the Roku SS+ rocks!  and provides glorious HDR-HLG.  I would just mention a couple of things whilst posting: -

2.  If you have a non-compatible SkQ box, then you won't be able to do anything about it for at least a couple of months until Sky change their policy - refer to the Sky Q Community Forum

HLG broadcasts of World Cup on bbc Iplayer through Roku SS+ was perfect amazing PQ my issue is with HDR content on Amazon and Netflix.  I can see that TV detects it as HDR content and adjust the Backlight to maximum but still the picture quality just look very dim. Is it because Netflix and amazon HDR broadcasts in HDR 10+ and SK9500 only supports HDR 10. Or perhaps my tv has a fault.  

Also I have my Roku SS+ connected to TV and hdmi arc connected to Bose surround system. I don't get 5.1 from amazon or Netflix.   I tried connecting Roku SS+ directly to Bose system still I don't get 5.1 sound. 

matt14
Journeyman
Options

I have the KS7000 and at one point the backlight didn't jump to 20 (100%) automatically for HDR. At the time I was using YouTube and Netflix through the internal apps.

It's now working as expected through internal apps and from sky q. Backlight jumps to 20 automatically. I'm guessing one of the s/w updates resolved it.

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

@AndyC   and  @matt14   The KS TV's most definately will not produce HDR- HLG via their internal apps (with the exception of YouTube maybe because I forget).  BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime and Netflix will definately not produce HDR-HLG via the TV's internal apps because the Tizen OS won't allow it and the TV cannot be upgraded via a firmware update.  About the time of the World Cup and Planet Earth (via the BBC HLG Trials) Samsung bowed to pressure to allow HLG via HDMI sources and Virgin Media were the first UK provider to produce HDR films etc apart from the BBC. 

Would be interested to know what adjustments you made to your KS7000 to get what you believe is HDR-HLG, because there should not have been any need IMHO.  Your set pre-dates I think my KS9500.

0 Likes
AndyC
Journeyman
Options

Hi @rozel 

I was referring to HDR in general. I'm well aware that HLG is not available within the BBC iPlayer app on the KS7000 due to hardware limitations. I've been enjoying HDR10 via multiple sources for several years now. I was merely making comment about my KS7000 needing its brightness adjusted to 100% manually in the first instance. 

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

Can some advise me?  I have KS9500 model. I thought it supported Dolby Digital plus. But in Audio format settting I can only see PCM, DOLBY DIGITAL, DTS (greyed our) and DTS Neo 2:5 .  Why am I not seeing Dolby Digital Plus as an option. 

0 Likes
Wally12
Explorer
Options

I agree that Dolby Plus is shown in the specs on the Samsung website for the KS9500.

I've looked on my KS700 and like you cannot find it on the TV but then I did not set up

to use Dolby Plus.

The only thing I can suggest is to disconnect all audio outputs then try to see if Dolby Plus

appears as an option. If not try plugging in your audio set up to various outputs on the

one connect box to see if it appears for any of them. This suggestion is because I think

the TV sometimes only offers options when a suitable route is available to it. Good Luck.