Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
crashcris
Voyager
Options
0 Likes
nkelly1994
Journeyman
Options

Hello, after you have updated your tv to support HLG. Have you managed to try it with sky q yet and see if it works with the HDR content? Thanks 

0 Likes
nkelly1994
Journeyman
Options
Have you been able to test any HDR content through sky? Thanks
AndyC
Journeyman
Options

Yep. All good. Sky Q 2tb box with external power supply. HDR works nicely with Sky Nature on-demand stuff. Just waiting for Sky to add HDR to Netflix etc. But I use my Nvidia Shield for that anyway. 

nkelly1994
Journeyman
Options
Aww nice one. Cheers for the reply. I'm wanting to upgrade to the 2tb box for UHD but wasnt sure if these models worked with HLG to get HDR to work. 👍🏼
0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

That's great news.  Can I ask  using Nvidia Shield do HDR content on Netflix or amazon look better?  I have Ks9500 model TV and hdr contest using apps Netflix or Amazon on TV look very dim and dark.  I also tried through Roku SS+ But HDR is really bad on KS9500. There is no way to turn off HDR either.
Just wanted to know if Nvidia Shield was better than Roku SS+.

Also using Roku SS+ i don't get 5.1 sound on my Bose.650 system. I tried connecting Roku directly to Bose 650. Still I don't get 5.1 sound from Netflix or Amazon.  Any advise from anyone would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance. 

0 Likes
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@nkelly1994 wrote:
Aww nice one. Cheers for the reply. I'm wanting to upgrade to the 2tb box for UHD but wasnt sure if these models worked with HLG to get HDR to work. 👍🏼

@nkelly1994 Glad  Sky HDR works with the K series , was fine with my 2017 model.  You will be fine if you upgrade your Box, though  not operating at full capacity at the moment.   For the list of compatible Boxes see here, the first 2TB Box  and the standard 1TB Boxes do not support HDR https://www.sky.com/help/articles/check-which-sky-q-box 

A bit on the content here https://www.whathifi.com/news/sky-q-is-finally-getting-some-hdr-content 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

0 Likes
nkelly1994
Journeyman
Options
Yeah my sky box atm is the old one. I'm gonna upgrade. I just wanted to know if it shows HDR content on the K models as mines a UE55KU6670
AndyC
Journeyman
Options

Regarding dim HDR on the KS series... Are you playing an HDR source and THEN adjusting your picture settings to increase backlight to 100%? The KS series don't do it automatically. The settings are saved per picture mode. 

P.s. I get Dolby Atmos on Amazon via Nvidia Shield. 

0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@AndyC wrote:

Regarding dim HDR on the KS series... Are you playing an HDR source and THEN adjusting your picture settings to increase backlight to 100%? The KS series don't do it automatically. The settings are saved per picture mode. 

P.s. I get Dolby Atmos on Amazon via Nvidia Shield. 

Hi Andy, backlight is set to 100%  in all picture mode. But find that HDR content just looks dim. 4K looks amazing on KS9500 .

i should invest in a Nvidia Sheild. BeCause Roku SS+  Does not seem to pass through 5.1  from amazon or Netflix. 

thanks for your response.

0 Likes