Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
crashcris
Voyager
Options

Maybe the Amazon stick has been removed from the trial and no longer works with BBC iplayer in UHD and HLG, that would be very annoying.

I really hope they do transmit the "Seven Worlds, One Planet" in UHD. Sport doesn't really do it for me.

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Whilst waiting for the Fire TV Stick 4K Ethernet Adaptor, I've been playing around some more.  Setting the Display settings to "Auto" does not work and I've read elsewhere it doesn't.  HDR does not kick in and no amount of HDMI input toggling resolves this either.  The buffering seems to have been sorted - every time so far that I've tried the Fire TV, it's been immediately after viewing my Roku and, as recommended, have left it plugged in.  Yesterday I unplugged the Roku (can't remember why lol) and subsequently enjoyed lovely Wimbledon Centre Court action in UHD HDR.  I had set the Display to 2160 60Hhz.  PQ was superb as with the Roku and didn't require any HDMI toggling.  So maybe, as you cannot "switch off" the Roku that it hogs my broadband's bandwidth for a bit?  Strange.  But perhaps the removal of the Fire TV from the list of BBC's supported devices could be down to the "Auto" display setting not functioning?

Hopefully I will get the adaptor today.

rozel
Voyager
Options

Never did get the Adaptor but yesterday I'm afraid I watched the magnificent British GP and the awesome Cricket World Cup Final, the latter which will live with me forever! So the marathon Wimbledon Men's Final (which probably would have bored me to death) did not fearure yesterday - Sky ruled for once! :smiling-face:

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I certainly found the  Wimbledon UHD HDR coverage impressive and it showed a long Men's Final in all its glory.  Once I did have an issue with buffering but resetting the connection solved it.   The only thing is that you cannot pause  or rewind and  only the HD is available on  demand, however maybe that will change in the future.

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

Jay108
Voyager
Options

Has anyone had

software upgrade to 1242.5?  Anything new in this upgrade?

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Jay108 wrote:

Has anyone had

software upgrade to 1242.5?  Anything new in this upgrade?

1242.5!  You sure - we only just got 1241.5 - which was a surprise as the TV is three and a half years old..

Samsung NEVER tell you what is in each of these releases

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

I guess, you're both refering to the KS sets. The UK JS sets are still on 1530, nothing's been updated in over a year.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

I guess, you're both refering to the KS sets. The UK JS sets are still on 1530, nothing's been updated in over a year.

Yes I'm referring to the KS 

Jay108
Voyager
Options

Yes KS model. But not really noticed any difference from previous version.

Has anyone who upgraded noticed any changes?

Wally12
Explorer
Options

In the UK I was offered an over the air update to my KS7000

last week. After researching a bit on line to check for bugs,

I made the update (to 1241). I cannot see any differences but

have not looked very hard. It was suggested that it had

speeded up navigation between apps. but I did not notice this.

I have not seen any negative effects. I am glad thet Samsung are

offering updates after that period when they did not and seemed to

be leaving us without HLG via HDMI.