Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
tigernike1
First Poster
Options

Thanks for all your replies,i am a He,i have a usb hdd with lots of 4k /hdr/hlg demo,s  would i be correct in saying that these will show in there correct format? thanks for all the interesting comments

paul

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@tigernike1 wrote:

Thank you Paul very much for your fast reply,looks like i am buying a Roku+ stick,you have got me thinking now,am i correct in thinking that netflix amazon youtube etc apps on the tv show 4k hdr/hlg content correctly?

thanks paul

The Netflix and Amazon on board do HDR.  It is the on board iPlayer hlg 4 k that does not work.  That is why you need another device to get iPlayer hlg. 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@tigernike1 wrote:

Thank you Paul very much for your fast reply,looks like i am buying a Roku+ stick,you have got me thinking now,am i correct in thinking that netflix amazon youtube etc apps on the tv show 4k hdr/hlg content correctly?

thanks paul

Not sure about YouTube,  but yes to Netflix and Amazon.  No Dolby vision though.  The Roku seems to work with iPlayer hlg.  Just a pity the on board app does not work. 

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@tigernike1 wrote:

thanks paul

Not sure about YouTube,  but yes to Netflix and Amazon.  No Dolby vision though.  The Roku seems to work with iPlayer hlg.  Just a pity the on board app does not work. 

The YouTube TV app supports both HDR10 and HLG.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@tigernike1 wrote:

thanks paul

The new Amazon Firestick 4K also plays HLG via its iPlayer app.  This and the Roku+ are a similar price so best to check specs and reviews of both to chose the best for you needs

0 Likes
Richard55
First Poster
Options

A massive thanks to all who have contributed to getting the end result. I have read every posting over the last year and learnt a considerable amount of stuff about tvs etc. I have taken and followed all your advice over recent months and now can watch superb iplayer images on my KS7000. Thanks so much to you all

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options
As a thank you to all the effort on this (and other) sites I have been sharing a link to the KS firmware that was given to me by our friends from the Italian forum.

Just a heads up that I will be removing the link tonight. So if there any last minute requests let me know via PM.
kinneil
First Poster
Options

Hi can u send me the link before u remove it, thanks

0 Likes
tigernike1
First Poster
Options

Hi All,

Many thanks to you all for your replies,you have been most helpful,i look forward to watching some hdr/hlg material,by the way i think this tv is very capable of amazing pictures when fed the correct material,do any of the members have some of their best settings? that i could try?

thanks paul   

0 Likes
kinneil
First Poster
Options

Thanks for the link, downloaded update & Tv updated ok. will check out picture display tomorrow.

0 Likes