Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@edindundee wrote:

OK, Serbia v Suisse live.

To my eyes on my ks7500 the V6 box looks better than the Roku.

The backlight when using the V6 box is at 14.

The backlight when using the Roku is at 20.

Neither dislay the HLG logo.

Both display the BBC UHD logo on the top right.

Roku HDR UHD 3840x2160 / 60p HDMI UHD Color under telly remote Info button

V6 UHD 3840x2160 / 50p HDMI UHD Color under source then Enter button on telly remote

So the differences seem to be

Roku HDR 60p

V6 50p

Why do I prefer the V6?

I have a V6 and find the Roku better. One thing you need to do is go into the advanced settings of the Roku and set the auto refresh. It will then play at 50 Hz and be smooth. I'm not aware of any HLG logo. Your KS correctly reports it's HDR. What is it about the V6 that makes it better to you? 

edindundee
Pioneer
Options

I've set the Roku to Auto refresh, did that yesterday thanks to those who gave me the heads up.

The V6 seems better because the picture is more vibrant, the depth seems better and the picture is more sharp at distance shots, no blurring (slight as it is). In close-ups both seem to give good resolution (OK, it's the state of the pitch and the divots I'm talking about), at medium distance the V6 seems to give better resolution and at distance the V6 definitely looks better. I appreciate this is subjective......

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@edindundee wrote:(OK, it's the state of the pitch and the divots I'm talking about), at medium distance the V6 seems to give better resolution and at distance the V6 definitely looks better. I appreciate this is subjective......

It could be the wifi channel you've selected the Roku to use, I was advised to try switching if you can. Previously I was only getting 11mbps on the 5G band of my wifi. I changed it to the 2G band and tonight I was getting 43mbps, and the Swiss Vs Serbia match looked pin sharp.

0 Likes
Klpd
Apprentice
Options

So just summarising the optimum settings / workflow in case any one wants to refer to , or correct me if i am wrong.

1. Roku : DIsplay settings -  4k 60hz, hdr

2. Roku: Advanced settings  - auto detect refresh rate

3. Roku : advanced settings again - 4:2:0 colour space 

4. TV:  expert settings : HDMI UHD colour enabled on the Roku's hdmi port 

5. switch to another hdmi source and switch back (do it every time  you open iplayer stream) - to fix the 'washed out' look

6 .reconfirm with the 'info' button on the tv remote : hdr, uhd, 3840x2160 50p hdmi uhd colour

7.  come back and refresh this thread  :smiling-face: and dont bother looking at that amazing image you were so stressed about getting right 

dunwell
Voyager
Options

So close!

Under (3) I would suggest that 4:2:2 is the optimal selection. 

crashcris
Voyager
Options

@Klpd wrote:

7.  come back and refresh this thread  :smiling-face: and dont bother looking at that amazing image you were so stressed about getting right 

LOL, so true.

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

I’ve noticed that when I first put a game on through the Roku, the info bar on the tv shows 60p rather than 50p (auto adjust refresh is enabled) I have to go back into the settings and disable auto adjust refresh rate and then enable it again. This then shows 50p as expected.

has anybody else encounterd this? I’m goning to try having the display settings on auto detect rather than 4K HDR 60hz and see if that makes a difference.

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

I’ve noticed that when I first put a game on through the Roku, the info bar on the tv shows 60p rather than 50p (auto adjust refresh is enabled) I have to go back into the settings and disable auto adjust refresh rate and then enable it again. This then shows 50p as expected.  

I encountered exactly the same, just noticed after the match had finished. I'm taking my Roku to a friend's tomorrow for the England match, to see what it looks like on his 65inch Sony A1 (can't believe that also doesn't have the 4k iplayer), don't know if it does HLG via roku like the KS but I hope it does.

0 Likes
Markbo
Explorer
Options

Looks like the additional recent sales of the Roku Straming Stick, possibly genereated by comments here has caused most retailers including Argos and Amazon to revert to the old price of nearly £80. Currys  seem to be the only retailer still offering £20 off but for how long.

Interesting article from the BBC on their website about Wimbledon in 4kHDR looks like there will be a special edition of iPlayer for Sky Q receivers without HDR. I wonder if the BBC may produce a non HDR 4K version of iPlayer for out TVs if that were possible. It suggests the bigger viewing area is a feature of 4k cameras.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-44550307

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Markbo wrote:

Interesting article from the BBC on their website about Wimbledon in 4kHDR looks like there will be a special edition of iPlayer for Sky Q receivers without HDR. I wonder if the BBC may produce a non HDR 4K version of iPlayer for our TVs if that were possible. It suggests the bigger viewing area is a feature of 4k cameras.

Any camera can zoom in or out as much or little as they see fit. Remember movies have been shot on these 4k cameras for years, as have many TV dramas you've been watching (many downscaled to HD for broadcast, others preserved in 4k eg on Amazon Prime).

Six months now, but again:  The issue with our TVs is nothing whatsoever to do with the resolution or whether or not it's a HDR stream.

If the BBC choose to go back to their old less efficient streaming system (which currently works on our TVs), it'll work.

If the BBC stay with DVB-DASH, which doesn't work on our TVs and never will, it won't work. There's no suggestion that the BBC would ever do this.

It's nothing whatsoever to do with the resolution or whether or not it's a HDR stream.

The bit about Sky Q is quite alarming actually! It suggests to me that Sky UK are months away from rolling out HDR, and it's not coming soon enough to the UK. The Italian SkyQ users have already had it for months now.