Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

It's mixed messages everywhere.

Over in the Italian forum another member asked about Sky HLG on their KS7500 and received this response from a moderator:

Hello andrea101275, Welcome to our Community! 

I confirm that the development department is working on an update to introduce Sky Q's HDR HLG support. 

At the moment we do not have official indications on the date of issue of the update. 

We remain available. 

Alberto 

S amsung C ommunity E xpert

EDIT: Link for reference (Will need Google translate):

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Smart-TV-Audio-e-Video/UE65KS7500UXZT-4k-hdr-hlg/m-p/550169#M764...

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

So @AntS when can you say about the above. It seems that no one at Samsung knows what each other are saying and that is there any official statements that you all agree on????? Very poor.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

Over in the Italian forum another member asked about Sky HLG on their KS7500 and received this response from a moderator:

I confirm that the development department is working on an update to introduce Sky Q's HDR HLG support. 

At the moment we do not have official indications on the date of issue of the update. 

We remain available. 

Alberto 

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Smart-TV-Audio-e-Video/UE65KS7500UXZT-4k-hdr-hlg/m-p/550169#M764...

Thanks. The Italians have the big advantage of not having a long-running saga with an iplayer app, DVB-DASH etc. 

This means it's impossible to anyone (Italian moderator, Italian CEO's office writing letters back) to mis-interpret, either accidentally or on purpose, what the problem is. No-one can pass the buck or deflect away from the EDID.

It cuts through all the semi-technical press-release style wishy washy stuff.

"HLG doesn't work from my Sky Q box, when are you going to fix it?" - simple.

jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

We remain available. 

Alberto 

Thanks. The Italians have the big advantage of not having a long-running saga with an iplayer app, DVB-DASH etc. 

This means it's impossible to any to mis-interpret, either accidentally or on purpose, what the problem is. No-one can pass the buck or deflect away from the EDID.

It cuts through all the semi-technical press-release style wishy washy stuff.

"HDR doesn't work from my Sky box, when are you going to fix it?" - simple.

Exactly! no if's or but's, PR bs!

I CAN CONFIRM WE ARE WORKING ON A FIX FOR SKY HDR HLG.

Doesn't get more clear than that

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

One is right and one is wrong. If it was a simple fix I think it should have been fixed by now. That to me means there is not going to be a fix and someone is being lied to.

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@AntS wrote:

"2016 SUHD TV’s support UHD HDR HLG via Broadcast, Satellite & Terrestrial and from USB. They do support UHD HDR via HDMI, just not when encoded using HLG."

Surely this statement is untrue?  Haven't we already proven that a KS8000 can correctly display UHD HDR via HDMI, even when encoded using HLG!!  The simple problem is that the KS TV's don't communicate that ability to the source device. I get the feeling that Samsung haven't even understood the problem 😞

matt14
Journeyman
Options

Hi All

Just received the following response from Samsung CEO office

To answer your question UHD HDR HLG over HDMI was not added to the HDMI 2.0b specification until after the KS Range of TV’s were launched.

In respect of the where you have read on forums that the suggested steps have worked, Samsung cannot respond to comments made on forums concerning specific steps that customers have taken.  

However as an organisation we always listen to and support our customers in striving for ways to improve their experience of our products.  Where we can implement “in-life” upgrades that provide a globally stable improvement without any negative impact on current performance, however we are not in a position to reveal what those improvements may look like nor the timescales in which they may be delivered.  Instead we encourage all users to keep their software up to date in order to receive improvements as they are released.”

dunwell
Voyager
Options

@tarbatcompletely agree, which may explain why I've had no response to my correspondence today!

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

it might be worth waiting to see what @tarbat says. It was my understanding the fix needed to be turned off when viewing none HLG content. this can be done with the integral i think over the network using your phone?? so is pretty straight forward to use. Not sure if this other device can be programmed the same way?

cheers

No, the EDID fix can be lefted turned ON all the time. That's how I run my HDFury Integral. You only need to change the HDFury configuration if you want to simulate an actual HLG signal coming from the source, which is what I used to prove that my KS8000 TV can decode and display HLG correctly.  It just needs the EDID fix, which can be left turned ON all the time.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@matt14 wrote:

Hi All

Just received the following response from Samsung CEO office

To answer your question UHD HDR HLG over HDMI was not added to the HDMI 2.0b specification until after the KS Range of TV’s were launched.

In respect of the where you have read on forums that the suggested steps have worked, Samsung cannot respond to comments made on forums concerning specific steps that customers have taken.  

However as an organisation we always listen to and support our customers in striving for ways to improve their experience of our products.  Where we can implement “in-life” upgrades that provide a globally stable improvement without any negative impact on current performance, however we are not in a position to reveal what those improvements may look like nor the timescales in which they may be delivered.  Instead we encourage all users to keep their software up to date in order to receive improvements as they are released.”

Which is utter *****.  They know it can be fixed they just can't be bothered.  So they hide behind lies and obfuscation.  They won't dare admit that we have proven that HLG works via HDMI or they may feel compelled to fix it. The steps we took to prove it are easily reproducible but they just don't care.