Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Personally I think that is very arguable - and may well need to be tested by legal proceedings later in the year.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@dunwellwrote:

Personally I think that is very arguable - and may well need to be tested by legal proceedings later in the year.

I would agree and again it would have been nice if Samsung had made that clear. They only said that Iplayer would not work. The BBC also recognise that Sky is broadcast and that is why you have to pay a licence fee if you watch Sky. I would have thought that as people have said its just a software update required, Samsung if they wanted could have enabled the KS for the start of Sky HLG. I do not think it looks good, and again with complete silence from Samsung about this and Iplayer support, it does look like Samsung want us to buy a new telly.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111wrote:

Samsung said on these forums that the KS was fully broadcast HLG compatible. So with the news from Italy (thanks @Saverio571) that our KS does not work with Sky HLG, does that mean that Sky HLG is not broadcast or has Samsung mislead their KS owners and how does this affect anyone thinking that other HDMI devices are the answer?

Thanks for any info please.

Answered in your duplicate post in the other thread. Those are not the only two choices.

0 Likes
MC_Blade
Pioneer
Options
I'm unsubcribing from this thread, the amount of animocity directed at some members over the last few weeks for daring to suggest the John archer article is correct and that Samsung has infact duped us all is quite sickening.

Its seems that a few on here are that much Samsung fans that there blind to the cold hard facts. If there was a fix or if John Archers article was incorrect Samsung would have issued a statement to that effect rather than suffer negative publicity. That is common sense.

I got my refund a day bought a replacement a few weeks ago now, thanks to those who helped. Good luck all, with whatever outcome you are hoping for.

I'm happy with my LG and will never buy a Samsung again. For the record their afters sales support has made certain of that - not the fact that there has been an issue. As they say the silence is deafening.
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@MC_Bladewrote:
I'm unsubcribing from this thread, the amount of animocity directed at some members over the last few weeks for daring to suggest the John archer article is correct and that Samsung has infact duped us all is quite sickening.

Its seems that a few on here are that much Samsung fans that there blind to the cold hard facts. If there was a fix or if John Archers article was incorrect Samsung would have issued a statement to that effect rather than suffer negative publicity. That is common sense.

I got my refund a day bought a replacement a few weeks ago now, thanks to those who helped. Good luck all, with whatever outcome you are hoping for.

I'm happy with my LG and will never buy a Samsung again. For the record their afters sales support has made certain of that - not the fact that there has been an issue. As they say the silence is deafening.

Well said. 

So without the update will the ks be able to support hlg on hdmi for the person in the street without resorting to HD fury which is not on sale in the uk. 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I am going to further my own agenda and say the way forward for KS owners who have Sky and would like to watch Iplayer HLG is visit the KS refund thread and leave this thread to those who wish to blabber about anything but the fact that Samsung has let down their KS customers.

Samsung's own silence says everything we need to know and I would put money on there will be no HLG Iplayer and no HDMI fix for Sky or other HDMI devices. Let Samsung and @AntS correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think I am. I have heard all the arguments supporting Samsung but they at the end of the day mean nothing because to the man on the street the KS is not state of the art but old tech!

I have heard of cyberbullying, and I think I have experienced it here.

dunwell
Voyager
Options

For goodness sake Paul, you're so melodramatic. I think we're approaching and endgame with all of this and it will be quite easy to push to a conclusion relatively soon. The logic in my mind is as follows:

(1) Samsung stated publicly that HLG would be available on KS televisions.

(2) Many of us, myself included, purchased a KS television after this point in time; it is easily argued that we relied on the HLG statement as a part of our buying decision.

(3) The BBC launch their 4k HLG Blue Planet II iPlayer trial. Samsung state - in what I think is their biggest mistake in all of this - that the televisions will only work with "broadcast" HLG.

(4) At some point in 2018, Sky will launch their own "broadcast" HLG service through a SkyQ upgrade. I am not expecting this to work on KS Televisions based on the Italian intelligence we have and the excellent EDID diagnosis work undertaken by others on these forums.

(5) When this occurs, I will send Samsung UK a "pre-action" written notice of intent to begin legal proceedings. Prior to submission of claim I will outline all of the above (I'm a trained solicitor, it will be done properly!) and state that unless the issue is resolved within 90 days I will start a full claim for a refund on the common law grounds of contractual misrepresentation.

At this point one of either three things will happen; either they will

(i) commit to resolving the issue

(ii) refund the money

(iii) refuse to engage in the process; at which point I will ask a small claims court court to issue a default judgement against them.

My personal view is that we are in an incredibly strong position and for that reason the EDID issue will be resolved to allow HLG over HDMI from connected devices.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

Point 1 I agree

Point 2  Samsung through publications said they would be supporting HLG back in early Jan 2016 before a lot of buyers.

Point 3 Agree, they must have known their KS would not work with Iplayer and we only found out when the BBC started broadcasting it.

Point 4   Agree

Point 5   But is it not unreasonable for us to ask Samsung to an answer to this question, except for finding out when it does not work?

How do you make a claim against the retailers when none of them that I know ever advertised HLG support, it was only Samsung and you can not make a claim against the manufacturer, under the Oct 2015 Consumer Regs, and no I am not a solicitor, ex firefighter.

Please do not get call me melodramatic, I don't call you anything but have respect for your posts. If anything I said was incorrect then please correct me but do not say things that may cause disstress.

Thanks

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@dunwellwrote:

(4) At some point in 2018, Sky will launch their own "broadcast" HLG service through a SkyQ upgrade. I am not expecting this to work on KS Televisions based on the Italian intelligence we have and the excellent EDID diagnosis work undertaken by others on these forums.

My personal view is that we are in an incredibly strong position and for that reason the EDID issue will be resolved to allow HLG over HDMI from connected devices.

I agree. I fully expect the EDID fix to be rolled out before (4) happens. The pressure from the Americans with DirectTV set top boxes will be immense, and it's not a difficult thing to fix.

ps. No particular need for those quotes around "broadcast" in Sky's case - it will be real actual satellite broadcasting, just like their 4k SDR service (such at their 4k SDR Formula 1 broadcast, earlier today) is satellite broadcasting now! :face-with-tears-of-joy: :face-with-tears-of-joy:

With their "On Demand" downloads catch-up service obviously bolted on as well.

tarbat
Voyager
Options

@mrticklewrote:

I agree. I fully expect the EDID fix to be rolled out before (4) happens.  

But (4) has already happened in Italy, and the EDID has not been fixed. There's plenty of 2016 KS owners there who already can't get Sky's F1 coverage in 4K/HLG because of the EDID problem.