Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:
Not Real. HLG works in 2016 models on USB and broadcast. The problem ha if works on HDMI.
Your esternal device support HLG? Yes or not? If not is normal that Tv don't recognize sample.

Who are you???????????

Are you an employee of Samsung???????

You are talking rubbish!!!!!!!!!

HlG HEVC does not work on 2016 Samsung TV's full stop!!!!!!!!!!!

HlG does work on You Tube VP9!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That means the only broadcast HLG BBC Iplayer does not work on 2015, 2016 Samsung models, i.e. KS and JS. 

Please accept what we are saying!!! and stopn trying to muddy the waters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Whoever he is but fact remains that till now None of the Samsung set support HLG for DirecTV via HDMI, havent even seen a report of 2017 set supporting HLG

@AntS I suspect this person @Anonymous User is an employee of Samsung and giving miss information! 

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

But you tried with an external player (not iplayer BBC) on HDMI? 

People were unable to get hlg work with Samsung but it worked with sony and Panasonic, can anyone confirm if 20!6 Samsung sets work with direct TV via HDMI

https://www.avforums.com/threads/the-bbc-claim-that-the-roku-3810eu-has-support-for-hlg.2140565/

Hlg HEVC does not work on 2016 or 2015 Samsung TV's. It does work on LG and Panasonic 2016 models, full stop. That is why this thread is here!

Please do not repeat this. It is not correct to say "HEVC HLG does not work full stop"; if you did it would then be you who (unintentionally I am sure) was muddying the waters 😞

A simpler clip that does not need any conversion (audio of TravelXP needs converting before that file will play): 

download from http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/   (blue button at the bottom of the screen).

Media info is:

Video
ID : 33 (0x21)
Menu ID : 301 (0x12D)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@Main
Codec ID : 36
Duration : 17 h 6 min
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Writing library : ATEME Titan File 3.7.7 (4.7.7.1)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : HLG / BT.2020
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant

It plays with no issues* on my KS7000, and switches to HDR decoding mode etc. Oh, and note the date in the screenshot; we've had HEVC HLG support for 10 months and counting. The iPlayer issue is down to Samsung and the BBC.

Cymatic Jazz HDR info bar-with arrow.png

*other than the sweaty DJ being very annoying.

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:
Not Real. HLG works in 2016 models on USB and broadcast. The problem ha if works on HDMI.
Your esternal device support HLG? Yes or not? If not is normal that Tv don't recognize sample.

Who are you???????????

Are you an employee of Samsung???????

You are talking rubbish!!!!!!!!!

HlG HEVC does not work on 2016 Samsung TV's full stop!!!!!!!!!!!

HlG does work on You Tube VP9!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That means the only broadcast HLG BBC Iplayer does not work on 2015, 2016 Samsung models, i.e. KS and JS. 

Please accept what we are saying!!! and stopn trying to muddy the waters!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Whoever he is but fact remains that till now None of the Samsung set support HLG for DirecTV via HDMI, havent even seen a report of 2017 set supporting HLG

@AntS I suspect this person @Anonymous User is an employee of Samsung and giving miss information! 

On a side  note do 2017 sets support HLG over iPlayer - so far I think only LG sets were able to do HLG over iPLayer

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@Saverio571 wrote:

But you tried with an external player (not iplayer BBC) on HDMI? 

People were unable to get hlg work with Samsung but it worked with sony and Panasonic, can anyone confirm if 20!6 Samsung sets work with direct TV via HDMI

https://www.avforums.com/threads/the-bbc-claim-that-the-roku-3810eu-has-support-for-hlg.2140565/

Hlg HEVC does not work on 2016 or 2015 Samsung TV's. It does work on LG and Panasonic 2016 models, full stop. That is why this thread is here!

Please do not repeat this. It is not correct to say "HEVC HLG does not work full stop"; if you did it would then be you who (unintentionally I am sure) was muddying the waters 😞

A simpler clip that does not need any conversion (audio of TravelXP needs converting before that file will play): 

download from http://4kmedia.org/lg-cymatic-jazz-hdr-hlg-uhd-4k-demo/   (blue button at the bottom of the screen).

Media info is:

Video
ID : 33 (0x21)
Menu ID : 301 (0x12D)
Format : HEVC
Format/Info : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile : Main 10@L5.1@Main
Codec ID : 36
Duration : 17 h 6 min
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 (Type 2)
Bit depth : 10 bits
Writing library : ATEME Titan File 3.7.7 (4.7.7.1)
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : HLG / BT.2020
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant

It plays with no issues* on my KS7000, and switches to HDR decoding mode etc.

Cymatic Jazz HDR info bar-with arrow.png

*other than the sweaty DJ being very annoying.

I tried to play the clip on my ks9500 and it came up with unable to play.  Played on my shield TV using VLC and it played vid but not in HDR HLG mode. I know the shied will play HDR.  So as far as I am concerned the 2016 Samsung s will not play HEVC HLG full stop. I know it will play YouTube VP9. Please do not say I am miss leading people, as that is the last thing I want to do. 

Paul

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
The file is reproduced correcty by Samsung 2016 models with updated sw. The question is if this file is correctly reproduced in HDR with an esternal device connected with HDMI.
Saverio Casadidio
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

If Shield Tv will play HDR don't means that will play HLG. I don't know if Shield Tv is HLG compatible.

Saverio Casadidio
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:
The file is reproduced correcty by Samsung 2016 models with updated sw. The question is if this file is correctly reproduced in HDR with an esternal device connected with HDMI.

You have not answered my question , are you associated with Samsung?  Are you an employee of Samsung.  I have given my reply on this issue and I think most others here agree.  Funny how you have just popped up saying HLG work's on 2016 Samsung models.  Please now go back to you day job at Samsung and leave this forum to genuine owner's. 

Paul

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:

If Shield Tv will play HDR don't means that will play HLG. Shield Tv is not HLG compatible.

Please stop. 

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options

You are giving information not correct. The file in the link is reproduced correctly on USB port. Full stop.

Saverio Casadidio
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:

You are giving information not correct. The file in the link is reproduced correctly on USB port. Full stop.

Not on my 65ks9500. Full stop.!!!! 

0 Likes