Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
73henny
Journeyman
Options

Did anyone get as far as trying to claim the dongle? I don't remember if there was any procedure for this at the time of purchase? 

0 Likes
JTE
Navigator
Options

For anyone interested I have exhausted trying to get resolution with Fenwicks of Newcastle as they are not affiliated with any ADR scheme. One more call to CAB/Trading Standards left to double check where I go next.

To be specific my issue is with The One Connect Evolution Kit not being made available on 2014 TV which supports HLG & BBC iPlayer UHD. I did previously get retailer to change TV in 2015 when it was apparent that 4K Screen after just 2 month of use would not support HDR in any format having shelled out over £2000.

I have SEK 3500 with 2015 TV and it appears future proofing is as much a lie now as it was when I first bought TV.

It looks like I will have to be one of the first going to small claims court. This will not set a legal precedent but I’m willing to share detail of claim and outcome.

For those who have offered to support a claim the offer of financial assistance would be much appreciated once I have submitted and paid for claim.

john

Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

This is hilarious! My latest reply from Currys - 

"

Thank you for contacting Team KNOWHOW.

We are really sorry that we haven't contacted you within our timescales we really do hope that your query has been answered. It may be that you have visited one of our stores or called us to discuss your query.

However, if you feel the matter remains unresolved, please contact us on 0344 800 9090 or alternatively please respond including a contact number for us to call you at a convenient time and one of our colleagues will be happy to assist. 

Thank you for your patience and once again please accept our apologies.

Kind regards,

Team Knowhow

::DISCLAIMER::"

So does this mean they are no longer going to co-operate via email and will only speak to me if I call them? What a joke!

to be fair, this seems to be a standard eamil they send out as I had this about another product they royally messed up.

I replied and they did eventually respond via email and sorted the issue.

0 Likes
Ronson808
Pioneer
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:

Winter Olympics are being shot and broadcast in 4K in many countries...

https://www.whathifi.com/news/2018-winter-olympics-to-be-made-available-in-4k-hdr

"The option to broadcast in 4K HDR has been picked up by NBC in the United States. The Games, which start on February 9th and end on the 25th, and will be broadcast in the UK by the BBC. Whether or not iPlayer will carry 4K images is yet to be confirmed."

if this turns out to be the case and our sets cant watch it, I would imagine the complaints would be insane.

we dont spend a grand + on a 4k TV for it to lack the basic service from the biggest broadcaster only months later

but who knows, if sky Q can have access without HDR is this going to be an issue or is it, as some suggest, a cost issue that samsung dont want to pay for updated iplayer.

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

Stop this nonsense about samsung having to pay for iplayer. Iplayer is a bbc service, its paid for by your tv license and the bbc have a mandate to provide it cost free to us. They are not charging samsung a penny. This issue lies firmly at Samsung's feet. You think if it was not a samsubg iasue they would have given no answer on here as to why it's not supported? They would be singing it from the rooftops.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:

Winter Olympics are being shot and broadcast in 4K in many countries...

https://www.whathifi.com/news/2018-winter-olympics-to-be-made-available-in-4k-hdr

"The option to broadcast in 4K HDR has been picked up by NBC in the United States. The Games, which start on February 9th and end on the 25th, and will be broadcast in the UK by the BBC. Whether or not iPlayer will carry 4K images is yet to be confirmed."

I posted this the other day.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@amokuk wrote:

Stop this nonsense about samsung having to pay for iplayer. Iplayer is a bbc service, its paid for by your tv license and the bbc have a mandate to provide it cost free to us. They are not charging samsung a penny. This issue lies firmly at Samsung's feet. You think if it was not a samsubg iasue they would have given no answer on here as to why it's not supported? They would be singing it from the rooftops.

So why won't Samsung say this? If this was the case Samsung are in the clear, but it's odd that they can enable HLG for their 2017 models but reefuse for their 2016 models even though they said they would. My question which I have asked is why or what is the reason our 2016 KS sets can not receive Iplayer HLG and why they can not receive HEVC HLG? Until they come clean as far as I am concerned they are lying B*******. The same is with HDR10+ promised and again they lied to us, again with the smart connecty dongle and they lied to us. How can anyone ever trust what Samsung ever say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are lying Bast*********

I am really P**** off

Paul

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@amokuk wrote:

So why won't Samsung say this? If this was the case Samsung are in the clear, but it's odd that they can enable HLG for their 2017 models but reefuse for their 2016 models even though they said they would. My question which I have asked is why or what is the reason our 2016 KS sets can not receive Iplayer HLG and why they can not receive HEVC HLG? Until they come clean as far as I am concerned they are lying B*******. The same is with HDR10+ promised and again they lied to us, again with the smart connecty dongle and they lied to us. How can anyone ever trust what Samsung ever say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They are lying Bast*********

I am really P**** off

Paul

@I agree Samsung have been very poor in their response here. They have shown they lie and will say anything to gain an advantage over their competitors. Every thing said here is true yet we have not had a decent reply  and @AntS  why is that? Do these posts get to those who can actually make a decision or is it a case let them shout and they will go away or get fed up? We have been mislead by their promises and that can not be right, and I totally agree with @paul1111  and am frustrated with the pathetic replies from samsung!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul

Simon1980
Journeyman
Options

I buy everything Samsung and have done for past 10 years . Tvs,Phones (including the one I'm using now),soundbar etc. If they don't come out with a update to HRD 10+ and hlg on bbci player I will never buy from them again . If theirs one thing I can't stand it is multimillion pound business who knowingly LIE to there consumers . 

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@ants moderator. 

Do you have any updates from Samsung at all on the HLG and HDR10+ Upgrade?   Samsung aware how disappointed and angry  the KS model owners are? All most of us want is a definitive statement from Samsung on this Issue. If We are not going to get these upgrades ever for these  2016 KS models then I would like to know now . This will help me decide if I want keep my TV or not.