Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@daleski75 wrote:

@snosig wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

@snosig wrote:
I bought a 65" KS8000 from RGBDirect in May 2017. Sent them an email 14 days ago where I gave them 14 days to respond to my claims. Still not a word.
However I could not find any mentions of the SmartThings functionality I'm their advertisements or on the product page at the time so I'm not sure how to proceed. I personally did a lot of research before buying the tv and Samsung's press releases and marketing material was very clear on those things. Therefore I rather blame Samsung, not RGBDirect, but I have no idea how to take this further.

I think you will struggle too be honest as you cannot really claim mis-selling for broken promises, cold hard evidence is needed, have you tried checking web archives to see if there is any mention of the dongle on an older web page for RGBDirect?

I have gone through web archives but not found any evidence of the advertising the SmartThings feature for this specific model. I have found it for some similar TV's but not this one.

But what about samsung, can they state whatever they want in their press releases and advertising material and then don't deliver without any repercussions? Shouldn't they be the ones responsible, as the manifacturer?

Samsung yes they should be but the retailer cannot be as it was never advertised on their website.

it was 

http://www.rgbdirect.co.uk/products/television/led-tv/samsung/ue78ks9000

snosig
Explorer
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@snosig wrote:
I bought a 65" KS8000 from RGBDirect in May 2017. Sent them an email 14 days ago where I gave them 14 days to respond to my claims. Still not a word.
However I could not find any mentions of the SmartThings functionality I'm their advertisements or on the product page at the time so I'm not sure how to proceed. I personally did a lot of research before buying the tv and Samsung's press releases and marketing material was very clear on those things. Therefore I rather blame Samsung, not RGBDirect, but I have no idea how to take this further.

talk to citizens advice bureau, also SMartThings is advertised here, size is diffrenet but RGB cannot lie that only 78 supports this not 65, as everyone claimed that all 2016 sets will be supported

The link you provided is for the KS9000 model, not the KS8000. Not sure it would hold up.

But I will try with the CAD. Thanks alot.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Ronson808 wrote:

can you imagine if the BBC use iplayer for the world cup in 4k and ks set owners cant use the service....

Well perhaps they will, but of course catch-up services aren't live broadcasts and for me, live sport demands I watch live (the ONLY thing that I will EVER watch live).

I'm sure most football fans (I am not one) would be delighted to wait until AFTER the match has been played, the results are sprayed all over social media, and then several hours later they can download the match in 4k HDR (!)

Turning away from iPlayer catch-up and back to real broadcsting, I would be astonished if the BBC broadcast this year's World Cup 2018 in any form of 4K, hdr or not. To give you a more realistic idea of the timescales we'll have to wait for 4K HLG satellite broadcasts here:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=14632250&postcount=4147

(the HDR thread on blu-ray.com is contributed to by various insiders, where you can trace back talk of HDR to 2013 and earlier.)

"

Originally Posted by Penton-Man
To cover inside happenings on other HDR fronts, I would be remiss not to mention the BBC and HLG. On that note, HLG proponents are currently striving to refine HLG production as exemplified by its current behind the scenes work on producing specs for color bar test patterns and alignment procedures for setting of brightness and contrast of HDR for HLG supportive displays, which should be published later on this year.
"
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@snosig wrote:

talk to citizens advice bureau, also SMartThings is advertised here, size is diffrenet but RGB cannot lie that only 78 supports this not 65, as everyone claimed that all 2016 sets will be supported

This is similar to Richer  Sounds in that how do you connect to the smart things,  and when they either answer  with a smart connect dongle,  you reply is the Samsung email saying they will not be supplying any dongle,  so you can not connect to smart things,  which is misrepresentation.  If they say don't know then again misrepresentation,  either way you win.  Make sure you copy and print the their web page. 

Paul

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@snosig wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@snosig wrote:

The link you provided is for the KS9000 model, not the KS8000. Not sure it would hold up.

But I will try with the CAD. Thanks alot.

it should not matter as same was advertyised at many places and they cannot prove that they have provided this for KS9000/9500 :smileywink:

amokuk
Voyager
Options

Have you two used iPlayer ever? Whilst iPlayer was initially concieved as a catch up service to the bbc these days it is just another broadcast platform. The last 2 olympics and world cups have heavily utilised iplayers platform for live streams of the entire tournaments to broadcast in hd. In fact iplayer is the only platform that will allow the bbc to do this and certainly the only way you are going to watch them in 4k HDR this year. All world cup games and nearly every event at the olympics will be LIVE on iplayer. It is a broadcast service.

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@Ronson808 wrote:

can you imagine if the BBC use iplayer for the world cup in 4k and ks set owners cant use the service....

Well perhaps they will, but of course catch-up services aren't live broadcasts and for me, live sport demands I watch live (the ONLY thing that I will EVER watch live).

I'm sure most football fans (I am not one) would be delighted to wait until AFTER the match has been played, the results are sprayed all over social media, and then several hours later they can download the match in 4k HDR (!)

Turning away from iPlayer catch-up and back to real broadcsting, I would be astonished if the BBC broadcast this year's World Cup 2018 in any form of 4K, hdr or not. To give you a more realistic idea of the timescales we'll have to wait for 4K HLG satellite broadcasts here:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.php?p=14632250&postcount=4147

(the HDR thread on blu-ray.com is contributed to by various insiders, where you can trace back talk of HDR to 2013 and earlier.)

"

Originally Posted by Penton-Man
To cover inside happenings on other HDR fronts, I would be remiss not to mention the BBC and HLG. On that note, HLG proponents are currently striving to refine HLG production as exemplified by its current behind the scenes work on producing specs for color bar test patterns and alignment procedures for setting of brightness and contrast of HDR for HLG supportive displays, which should be published later on this year.
"

broadcast dosent have to be 4K as HLG/HDR can be apllied to FHD as well

73henny
Journeyman
Options

what is the best email address to contact JL? 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@73henny wrote:

what is the best email address to contact JL? 

It will be on their web site

Paul

73henny
Journeyman
Options

I can't see any email address. It just opens a window on their website where you can send them an email, but I'd like to send it from my email appliaction. 

0 Likes