Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

Had a reply from Currys finally. Anyone kind enough to help me with a reply and supporting documents?

Thank you for your email dated 10th January 2018. Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response. As requested, my response is to your resolver email.

It’s concerning to learn of your disappointment with the service that you have received and the responses from my colleagues. This has been documented on the complaints case number above and will be used as internal feedback.

After checking the details supplied on your email. I can confirm that your product does come with your product and you are covered until the 25th September 2021. Should you have issues with the product working as it should. Please contact our Technical Support Team on 0344 561 1234.

With regards to the Samsung SmartThing. I have been unable to locate any promotional material that your TV was to be supplied with this item from our achieves. Due to the duration of time that has passed, this specific product is also no longer being sold by ourselves and is not on our website.

For us to assist you further with this, please can provide supporting evidence that this TV was meant to include this product. I can confirm that we are unable to open any links sent to ourselves, so any supportive evidence would need to be as a PDF or JPEG format attachment.

Should you have any further queries, we can be contacted on 0344 561 0000. Our lines are open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm on Saturday and 9am to 6pm on Sunday.

In closing may I thank you for taking the time to write to us. Whilst it is always disappointing to hear from a dissatisfied customer, it is only by receiving correspondence such as yours that we can effectively address ourselves to customer care issues and improve our level of service.

Thank you for taking your time to contact us and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,”

Thanks in advance for any help

Chris

Check the Curry's link, to make sure they have not took it down. If still OK resend them the link. If not did you down load and print a copy, if so send them a copy. Again playing for time. Also inform Citizens Advice of there negative response. If the page has been removed then Citizens Advice must be informed because that could be seen as illegal, and Trading standards would be informed. Again they advertised it and we know they are not available because Samsung said so. That does not absolve them of misrepresentation, and there are no time limits, apart from the 6 years. It's just another attempt to stop you. I would also suggest starting section 75 as well.

Paul

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@AntS wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@AntS wrote:

@paul1277: I checked the edit history on your last three posts, and they haven't been altered as far as I can tell. (Also checked the spam quarantine area in case something ended up there, but nada). Are you able to give me more details?

I mentioned that the Japanese and Canadians were more trust worthy, as they have come up with the updates, with even their customer's having to ask. 

Paul

That one's still there: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/TV-Audio-Video/Blue-Planet-2-HLG-No-Samsung/m-p/381696#M7430 (posted at 02:23 PM according to my settings) and currently unaltered. I'd strongly advise steering clear of ethnic stuff though. I appreciate the frustration, but I'd hope that you guys are better than that. LG is South Korean too BTW.

second that, this isnt personal, keep things clean and focussed 

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@CaptnSpaulding wrote:

Had a reply from Currys finally. Anyone kind enough to help me with a reply and supporting documents?

Thank you for your email dated 10th January 2018. Please accept my apologies for the delay in our response. As requested, my response is to your resolver email.

It’s concerning to learn of your disappointment with the service that you have received and the responses from my colleagues. This has been documented on the complaints case number above and will be used as internal feedback.

After checking the details supplied on your email. I can confirm that your product does come with your product and you are covered until the 25th September 2021. Should you have issues with the product working as it should. Please contact our Technical Support Team on 0344 561 1234.

With regards to the Samsung SmartThing. I have been unable to locate any promotional material that your TV was to be supplied with this item from our achieves. Due to the duration of time that has passed, this specific product is also no longer being sold by ourselves and is not on our website.

For us to assist you further with this, please can provide supporting evidence that this TV was meant to include this product. I can confirm that we are unable to open any links sent to ourselves, so any supportive evidence would need to be as a PDF or JPEG format attachment.

Should you have any further queries, we can be contacted on 0344 561 0000. Our lines are open 8am to 8pm Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm on Saturday and 9am to 6pm on Sunday.

In closing may I thank you for taking the time to write to us. Whilst it is always disappointing to hear from a dissatisfied customer, it is only by receiving correspondence such as yours that we can effectively address ourselves to customer care issues and improve our level of service.

Thank you for taking your time to contact us and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind regards,”

Thanks in advance for any help

Chris

here it is - not in archives - published on 17th March 2016

http://techtalk.currys.co.uk/tv-gaming/tv/how-to-control-your-home-from-your-smart-tv/

Here's the claim about support on 2016 sets, it still does not say this offer has expired

How to get SmartThings on your TV

You need a new 2016 Samsung SUHD Smart TV, and a SmartThings Extend – a small, USB-like dongle that plugs into your TV. The Extend dongle is provided free with your new TV. 

You’ll need Smart Things sensors, or other compatible devices (there as many as 200). And of course, you’ll need home Wi-Fi.

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

Update - got a call from my retailer "we have made a decision to replace your TV", we will call in due course to discuss this further." 

I need help from you guys - (1) if they decide to replace/swap my TV for a samsung - what do I do? accept / reject??

(2) if accept then what is the guarantee that the model (2017) wont be made obsolete by samsung in few months?

(3) if they offer me another brand to choose from what is your suggestion? i am a lot iffy of OLEDs as they tend to burn the image - quite a few family/friends had this problem with B7s (LGs) - while watching news channels particularly (very confused on this one) - help!!!

(3) if at all i HAVE to choose from samsung - which model do you guys suggest?

its very stressful all over again - researching for the best TV for the money (£1699) - which should be "future proof"

thanks in advance for your help!

hdmi
Voyager
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:

Update - got a call from my retailer "we have made a decision to replace your TV", we will call in due course to discuss this further." 

I need help from you guys - (1) if they decide to replace/swap my TV for a samsung - what do I do? accept / reject??

(2) if accept then what is the guarantee that the model (2017) wont be made obsolete by samsung in few months?

(3) if they offer me another brand to choose from what is your suggestion? i am a lot iffy of OLEDs as they tend to burn the image - quite a few family/friends had this problem with B7s (LGs) - while watching news channels particularly (very confused on this one) - help!!!

its very stressful all over again - researching for the best TV for the money (£1699) - which should be "future proof"

OLED are very resilient to burn ins, rtings do lot of torture tests (leave static image for 20 hours) and sometimes you get temporaray image retention howevre that is very easy to overcome if you leave the sets in standby then they run correction algorithms, OLED sets do get some banding or tint but they are only for some extrem tests do not impact normal viewing, as no one on AV forums has reported permanet burn ins

Samsung sets have qulity control issues and lack of future support, from expert opinion, Samsung 2017 sets are a let down compared to 2016 except for top of the range Q9F, moreover Samsung expect you to buy new TV after every 2 years

i would suggest to to anything but Samsung, Sony's are good alternative, in 65 inch Sony ZD9 and XE94 are good buys, in 55 or lower you have XE90 and XE93

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@Sam-Knp wrote:

Awesome who was the retailer again?

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options
JL
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@hdmi wrote:

@Sam-Knp wrote:

OLED are very resilient to burn ins, rtings do lot of torture tests (leave static image for 20 hours) and sometimes you get temporaray image retention howevre that is very easy to overcome if you leave the sets in standby then they run correction algorithms, OLED sets do get some banding or tint but they are only for some extrem tests do not impact normal viewing, as no one on AV forums has reported permanet burn ins

Samsung sets have qulity control issues and lack of future support, from expert opinion, Samsung 2017 sets are a let down compared to 2016 except for top of the range Q9F, moreover Samsung expect you to buy new TV after every 2 years

i would suggest to to anything but Samsung, Sony's are good alternative, in 65 inch Sony ZD9 and XE94 are good buys, in 55 or lower you have XE90 and XE93

Brill just check is that for misrepresentation and which retailer again? If so under the regs you can ask for a full refund, no or but's. If they are honouring the regs then I would suggest they are a reasonable place to replace your tele. If you say you will buy your new set from them it may be helpful, any idea's from any one here. 

Great stuff

Paul

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@hdmi wrote:

@Sam-Knp wrote:

Brill just check is that for misrepresentation and which retailer again? If so under the regs you can ask for a full refund, no or but's. If they are honouring the regs then I would suggest they are a reasonable place to replace your tele. If you say you will buy your new set from them it may be helpful, any idea's from any one here. 

Great stuff

Paul

its JL 

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

So we now need Curry's and Richer Sounds to do the right thing now. This I think may just be a little nudge to push them there.