Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
amokuk
Voyager
Options

Im quoting the Forbes guy in the downbeat comment. And my own thoughts on that after.

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@amokuk wrote:

Im quoting the Forbes guy in the downbeat comment. And my own thoughts on that after.

OK thanks. I also have my own thoughts about Samsung and they are not for here, could get banned!

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

Remember, the CES2018 show is taking place this week.

Our American brothers and sisters are able to attend in person, and ask the Samsung reps questions face to face.

From AVSforum:

Official 2016 Samsung KS9800 Owner's Thread

"So talking to a samsung rep at CES. there is still no ETA on a 2016 models HDR10+ update. It didn't look or sound good either. I let him know it as well."

Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

The response from Citizen Advice regarding this issue - 

Dear Mr 

Thank you for your enquiry to the Citizens Advice consumer service. Your reference number is CS xxxxxxxx.

We understand that you feel you have been deceived by a manufacturer. They promised HLG firmware but they have not done so.

Your rights and obligations

Your contract is with the retailer that you purchased the TV from not the manufacturer. Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 if you can prove that the TV was not as described by the retailer then you would have rights against them to pursue them for damages or a replacement or a fix. There is more information on our website.
The law says that when you buy goods costing over £100 and less than £30,000 using a credit card you may also hold the credit provider ‘equally liable’ under the Consumer Credit Act 1974. This means the credit provider, the trader, or both may be responsible for giving you a remedy, but it is very likely that you will be required to prove that there has been a misrepresentation.
Your next steps

Send them a letter by recorded delivery so you have some proof it has been received and keep a copy for yourself. Get back in touch if the issue is not resolved. There are sample letters you can use on our website.

For the case record we need a bit more information:

• Did you check with the retailer that those features were available?
• Were those features advertised by the retailer? Such as in store, online, on the box etc.
• Traders full address and postcode.

What we’ll do

We will notify Trading Standards and the case details will also be placed on a central database that can be accessed by all other Local Authority Trading Standards Services throughout the UK.

Although we work closely with Trading Standards departments, we are a separate organisation. Individual complaints do not necessarily lead to immediate enforcement action as, sometimes, numerous complaints are needed before effective action can take place. The information is, however, valuable intelligence for Trading Standards Services and other Government departments. Trading Standards will only contact you if they need further information or feel they could be of further assistance. We cannot make any commitment that Trading Standards will definitely contact you.

If you want to discuss this further please call us on 03454 04 05 06 or reply to this e mail.

Kind regards

xxxxxx
Citizens Advice consumer service

0 Likes
Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

"Individual complaints do not necessarily lead to immediate enforcement action as, sometimes, numerous complaints are needed before effective action can take place." - please note the following lines!

amokuk
Voyager
Options

Just the 4 days left to get an update to watch blue planet 2...

samsung....? echo .....? echo ....? echo ...?

Amazed
Explorer
Options

@amokuk wrote:

I think it's gone beyond wanting to just watch Blue Planet 2 now.

I think Samsung need to wake up and smell the coffee 

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Amazed wrote:

@amokuk wrote:

I don't think Samsung are interested. UK customers are a small part of their base. Says every thing when the US gets HDR10+ for 2016 and we don't.  

At least Samsung have admitted to misrepresentation over the Smart Connect and some owners are trying to get a refund over that. It does seem that a lot of owners are not aware of the implications of our sets not being updated as promised with BBC HLG and HDR10+. They will when BBC1 starts broadcasting in HLG and we can't receive it.

Paul

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Amazed wrote:

@amokuk wrote:

I don't think Samsung are interested. UK customers are a small part of their base. Says every thing when the US gets HDR10+ for 2016 and we don't.  

At least Samsung have admitted to misrepresentation over the Smart Connect and some owners are trying to get a refund over that. It does seem that a lot of owners are not aware of the implications of our sets not being updated as promised with BBC HLG and HDR10+. They will when BBC1 starts broadcasting in HLG and we can't receive it.

Paul

From what I have heard HLG is enabled for broadcast only on our tv's but time will tell if thats true or if it even works.

0 Likes
Sam-Knp
Navigator
Options

"the US gets HDR10+ for 2016 and we don't. " - why is it so complicated to push the same firmware here in UK ?

all the models are the same they have KN and we have KS prefixes - inside chips / boards should all be the same - in my opinion..I am an IT consultant by profession and I can only map this scenario to my field - one windows update rolled across the globe...!

0 Likes