Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
amokuk
Voyager
Options

0 Likes
amokuk
Voyager
Options

I find it truely astounding that in thread where people are barely restrained in the anger over a prolonged period and others are actively trying and telling each other how to get a refund so that they can go and buy a rival manufacturures product that we still have not got a response from samsung. The level of contempt is staggering.... I dont think i have ever experience anything like this. 

Why wont someone tell us what the hell is going on? What is the reason that you cant support hlg via iplayer. Its a REALLY simple question that you should be able to answer in 5 seconds. The fact that you have not means its 100% either embaressing or brand damaging. Answer the god ***** question samsung.

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options
I think everyone who is active here seems to be pretty calm really considering what Samsung are doing to their existing customers
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@daleski75 wrote:
I think everyone who is active here seems to be pretty calm really considering what Samsung are doing to their existing customers

Well said.     That utube clip again shows they are fully supporting HLG in broadcast mode and on the clip it actually says it's backwards compatible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mimpr4a4L-M

@AntS   Can you show what samsung were promising back in 2016 please.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@amokuk wrote:

I find it truely astounding that in thread where people are barely restrained in the anger over a prolonged period and others are actively trying and telling each other how to get a refund so that they can go and buy a rival manufacturures product that we still have not got a response from samsung. The level of contempt is staggering.... I dont think i have ever experience anything like this. 

Why wont someone tell us what the hell is going on? What is the reason that you cant support hlg via iplayer. Its a REALLY simple question that you should be able to answer in 5 seconds. The fact that you have not means its 100% either embaressing or brand damaging. Answer the god ***** question samsung.

It's not comtempt but anger at Samsung's total lack of support for their loyal customers. To say a TV less than 12 months old is not going to get things they promised is comtempt from their side. 

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options
Mine is 18 months old but stil the same model as everyone elses.
crashcris
Voyager
Options

My 2015 js8000 auto firmware updated to 1520 last night. I have no idea what the update included, however, there was no inclusion of the BBC iplayer UHD HLG app. No surprises there then, only continued resentment and disappointment.

Samsung. Sort this matter out for all 4k TV sets irrespective of age.

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@daleski75 wrote:

Well said.     That utube clip again shows they are fully supporting HLG in broadcast mode and on the clip it actually says it's backwards compatible!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mimpr4a4L-M

Samsung's entire argument appears to be hanging from a pathetic and gobsmacking technicality: they claim that they only promised "broadcast HLG" and didn't promise us HLG via any other means, for example:

1. USB - but they have done it and it works,

2. YouTube - but they have done it and it works,

3. iPlayer - they haven't done it yet but it is perfectly possible and just needs very minor changes.

No other TV manufacturer has done this. 

These manufacturers have all upgraded their models to support HLG iPlayer:

Finlux
Hisense
Hitachi
Laurus
LG
Linsar
Logik
Mitchell & Brown
Panasonic
Philips
Roku
Sony
Techwood
Toshiba
Walker

daleski75
Helping Hand
Options

I think I might try and bribe my wife to put our 55KS7000 into our garage conversion once it's done so I can get a 55" OLED TV for our living room if the 2018 LG models are any good or even better if the 2017 models are even cheaper than they are now.

Checked on fleabay and the 55KS7000 is fetching a maximum of £500 which means it's hardly worth selling it as it's lost nearly all of it's value already.

If I don't get anywhere with Currys it's not the end of the world for me I will just vote with my wallet and never buy anything Samsung again.

Chris325
Explorer
Options

Agreed. I also have a 32" F series,  a Galaxy S8+, an american style fridge freezer, a connected drier, a blue ray player and my wife has an S7 phone. I even did a survey mid year on what I thought of the K9000 TV on behalf of Samsung. Enough, they have lost my business as they plainly don't care enough about their customers.