Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Markbo
Explorer
Options

@ad1994 wrote:

Does anyone have an idea of what TV I could get that is around the £1000 mark that are an upgrade from the KS7500?

The best advice I would give is find your nearest branch of Richer Sounds, go in and tell them your budget and take their advice. Unlike some other stores, they want you to be happy with your purchase which means you will come back again for your future purchases. They give a 6 year guarantee on their TVs and will match other dealers if their price is not the best you can find. They currently have the LG 55SK8100PLA for £849 for instance. I recently bought my LG C8 OLED from them to replace my Samsung JS8000. 

No I don't work for Richer Sounds, just been a customer of theirs for many years and after reading some of the reports in these forums of the issues people have with other stores, I wonder why people would ever go anywhere else.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Markbo wrote:

@ad1994 wrote:

Does anyone have an idea of what TV I could get that is around the £1000 mark that are an upgrade from the KS7500?

No I don't work for Richer Sounds, just been a customer of theirs for many years and after reading some of the reports in these forums of the issues people have with other stores, I wonder why people would ever go anywhere else.

Totally agree.  RS are great.  Never brow beat or patronise you.  They obviously want to make a sale but also want it to be the correct one for you.  Been a customer for many years.

ad1994
Pioneer
Options
Recently discovered them and bought a soundbar for megacheap. Big fan of them and I'll be going there in the future.
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@ad1994 wrote:

if you can wait until black friday and stretch budget then you miht get 55 inch 2018 OLED B sereis

shimceltic
Pioneer
Options

Noticed some flickering recently on the TV. Are there any good videos on YouTube where I'd be able to highlight this to show customer support? 

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

Just received a notification from the BBC that their latest Natural History series "Dynasties" is going to be available in UHD on iPlayer. This should be fantastic. Cannot wait. Starts 11 Nov 2018.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@crashcris wrote:

Just received a notification from the BBC that their latest Natural History series "Dynasties" is going to be available in UHD on iPlayer. This should be fantastic. Cannot wait. Starts 11 Nov 2018.

Thank God for my Roku+ or I would not be able to enjoy this in HDR.  I thought we would have got this 'Sky Italia' patch by now.  Will it ever se the light of day?

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

@crashcris wrote:

Thank God for my Roku+ or I would not be able to enjoy this in HDR.  I thought we would have got this 'Sky Italia' patch by now.  Will it ever se the light of day?

Except the HDMI input on these Samsung TVs will still use the wrong EOTF curve for HLG content 😞  Having moved from a KS8000 to a new Panasonic FZ952, the difference when playing HLG material is massive.

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@crashcris wrote:

Except the HDMI input on these Samsung TVs will still use the wrong EOTF curve for HLG content 😞  Having moved from a KS8000 to a new Panasonic FZ952, the difference when playing HLG material is massive.

OK but the short rolling demo of Planet Earth on the iPlayer via the Roku+ looks superb - so I guess I'm OK with the incorrect EOTF curve!  But to be fair you are also comparing a 2018 TV with one from way back in 2016 😆

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

OK but the short rolling demo of Planet Earth on the iPlayer via the Roku+ looks superb - so I guess I'm OK with the incorrect EOTF curve!  But to be fair you are also comparing a 2018 TV with one from way back in 2016 😆

I'm just pointing out that the EOTF curve is wrong, so unless Samsung fix it, HLG is a very poor implementation.

The 2016 KS8000, with a maximum NITS of over 1,400 should be able to deliver a far more effective HLG performance than my 2018 FZ952 with a maximum NITS of only 790, but because the EOTF curve is so wrong it lacks any real HDR "punch". It's only when I saw correct HLG performance on my new TV that I realised how broken HLG is on the KS8000 using a Roku on HDMI input.