Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
edindundee
Pioneer
Options

Of course it plays.

Of course it plays very well.

But it plays no different to any of their HD offerings, go do some research. IT IS NOT PLAYING AS UHD on my ks series Samsung!!!!!!!!!!

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

New Evolution kit? 

Don't make me laugh! I'll believe it only when it's in my cold, dead hands. 

Until then, it's just more lies.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

New Evolution kit? 

I take it you don't work for Samsung? Or from Sky Italy where so much info seems to come from, and it does not seem to be very accurate. When asked for source, you get abuse!

Paul

sewarner
Pioneer
Options

@edindundee wrote:

More pish.

I have Virgin at home, they have several sources of UHD and none of them work on my Samsung, do you really expect any of us to give CREDIT to Samsung?

How much do they pay you gfsracing? Perhaps you should work for the Trump organisation with spin like that.

Burger off.

Samsung no more. Phones, microwaves, PC memory, usb sticks, TVs, fridges, washing machines... nowt, Nada. Zero. Zilch.

Samsung is dead.

Totally agree with this post, Samsung support is appalling .  Although I managed to get JL to replace my KS8000 I still follow this thread out of interest.  When I bought my KS I thought it was the bees knees but then started to discover all the faults including light bleed and of course the HDL etc. issues.  I replaced it with an LG B7 like a lot of people and found it fantastic, even managed to watch the WC in 4K on iPlayer.  No more Samsung products ever again.  Glad I’m an Apple lover 👍

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@sewarner wrote:

@edindundee wrote:

More pish.

I have Virgin at home, they have several sources of UHD and none of them work on my Samsung, do you really expect any of us to give CREDIT to Samsung?

How much do they pay you gfsracing? Perhaps you should work for the Trump organisation with spin like that.

Burger off.

Samsung no more. Phones, microwaves, PC memory, usb sticks, TVs, fridges, washing machines... nowt, Nada. Zero. Zilch.

Samsung is dead.

Totally agree with this post, Samsung support is appalling .  Although I managed to get JL to replace my KS8000 I still follow this thread out of interest.  When I bought my KS I thought it was the bees knees but then started to discover all the faults including light bleed and of course the HDL etc. issues.  I replaced it with an LG B7 like a lot of people and found it fantastic, even managed to watch the WC in 4K on iPlayer.  No more Samsung products ever again.  Glad I’m an Apple lover 👍

Glad you are sorted with a LG. Did you use the info in KS owners refund thread and did you post you result on the ks refunds result thread please?  May I ask how you find the LG compared to the KS? Is the brightness any issues as I am thinking of going down the OLED path?

Paul

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

New Evolution kit? 

I take it you don't work for Samsung? Or from Sky Italy where so much info seems to come from, and it does not seem to be very accurate. When asked for source, you get abuse!

Paul

See that lot over in the dark corner? They bought Samsung's on the basis on regular Evo Kit upgrades for their panels. Go and ask them.what they think of that promise.

How quickly we all chuck the baby out with the water on the breadcrumbs thrown out on another forum. 

Did the last 6-8 months only happen to me then?

blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@edindundee wrote:

Of course it plays.

Of course it plays very well.

But it plays no different to any of their HD offerings, go do some research. IT IS NOT PLAYING AS UHD on my ks series Samsung!!!!!!!!!!

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH

WTF do you mean 'do some research'? 

My V6 plays UHD on my KS from the Netflix app (and in HDR).  It plays the UHD test loop in the iPlayer app in UHD (obvioulsy no HDR).  Also the newly lauched Ultra UHD channel plays in UHD and looks stunning.  

You can't have yours set up correctly ;->

Jep_uk
Pioneer
Options

@paul1277

@paul1277 wrote:

@sewarner wrote:

@edindundee wrote:

More pish.

Burger off.

Samsung is dead.

Glad you are sorted with a LG. Did you use the info in KS owners refund thread and did you post you result on the ks refunds result thread please?  May I ask how you find the LG compared to the KS? Is the brightness any issues as I am thinking of going down the OLED path?

Paul

Do it. I got the b7 in place of ks7000 and it wipes the floor with it. Its plenty bright enough for me, the main thing is the contrast, uniform colour with no lighter patches and no light bleed. 
sewarner
Pioneer
Options

@Jep_uk wrote:

@paul1277

@paul1277 wrote:

@sewarner wrote:

@edindundee wrote:

More pish.

Burger off.

Samsung is dead.

Paul

Do it. I got the b7 in place of ks7000 and it wipes the floor with it. Its plenty bright enough for me, the main thing is the contrast, uniform colour with no lighter patches and no light bleed. 

Agree with the comment, B7 is a great tv.  No problems with brightness and we have the tv near a window.  Occasionally the picture may be a little dark but we also found the same with the KS8000 as it’s down to poor source quality.  B7 is also better for sport, especially football.  Even picture and no drag

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@blenky wrote:

@edindundee wrote:

IT IS NOT PLAYING AS UHD on my ks series Samsung!!!!!!!!!!

AAARRRRGGGGHHHH

WTF do you mean 'do some research'? 

My V6 plays UHD on my KS from the Netflix app (and in HDR).  It plays the UHD test loop in the iPlayer app in UHD (obvioulsy no HDR).  Also the newly lauched Ultra UHD channel plays in UHD and looks stunning.  

You can't have yours set up correctly ;->

Exactly. It's obvious that he's getting mixed up between two things

1. UHD (which is just a resolution: most people call it "4K" as it's easier despite it being technically slightly different, it's still just easier!)

2. High Dynamic Range (which could be HDR10, HLG, dolby vision etc) which works at ANY resolution. Commonly associated with 4K - but that is only because that is when HDR was first introduced to the world.

They are two completely different things and you'd think by now people would understand - but it's because of the onslaught of poorly-worded marketing guff from the likes of Sky that this keeps happening. It's not the customer's fault, they just want things to work.

Sometimes 4K content is also HDR, and sometimes it is not.

Sometimes HD content is also HDR, and sometimes it is not. Eg on Amazon Video if you don't have enough bandwidth.

Sometimes SD content is also HDR, and sometimes it is not. Eg on Amazon Video if you don't have enough bandwidth.

We know there are problems with HLG-over-HDMI, we've been talking about it for 9 months.

But to say "UHD doesn't work" is factually incorrect.

We are only in this situation because some unscrupulous providers are selling 4K in SDR.