Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
gfsracing
Navigator
Options

It’s the edid manager we need I can’t see where this one does as its a splitter but the jd fury integral refers to this

0 Likes
pauleylad
Apprentice
Options

Lol

Yes silly me!!

0 Likes
Frazzler
Explorer
Options

If Richer Sounds come through with an exchange, what are the best options LGB7?

pmeae forgive the slightly off-topic but I’ve been following the HLG/EDID/HDR10+ issues for a year and I’ve finally had enough holding out for some customer service from Samsung. RIcher Sounds seems to be honouring the mis-selling, hats off to them, they will get some depreciation and an upgrade cost from me sonit’s In their interests too. Any advice gratefully received.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

Here is the sentence: 

"They do support UHD HDR via HDMI, just not when encoded using HLG.""

1. That's the present tense, not a statement of their plans. 

2. It's factually wrong in that we know the KS TVs DO support HLG when the connected device doesn't check the EDID!

But that is the issue in that state that the ks will not be able to receive Hlg over HDMI. 

Yes and I'm saying it's not news, and it's not a statement that "they will not fix the EDID", so please stop saying that they said they wouldn't fix the EDID. We don't need to introduce any more misunderstandings where there are none.

@paul1111 wrote:

I know we have been told that the HD fury may get round that 

Eh? We know for certain that it does (present tense), but it's a very expensive work-around that I would not go for.

but does it not leave a sour taste that they will not update the edid? 

IF, IF, IF they do not update the EDID which we do not yet know and they did not say that they would not, yes of course. The whole fiasco does.

Let's just take a breath. We have a statement that we could have had 6 months ago, it's taken 6 months, but it doesn't affect the world-wide EDID bug and it doesn't even refer to it.

i am not sure if we read the de thing,  but that statement was clear in it saying that all ks TVs would not be able to receive Hlg over HDMI! 

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Ok,  I'll settle down a bit.

May I ask what the absolute current state of play is with regards Sky Italia?   Are Italian Sky users reverting to using HD Furys to watch Sky HDR on their KS sets?  Anyone know?

0 Likes
jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

@rozel wrote:

May I ask what the absolute current state of play is with regards Sky Italia?   Are Italian Sky users reverting to using HD Furys to watch Sky HDR on their KS sets?  Anyone know?

I believe not much has changed since HDR launched there. People who have an integral are using that and people who don’t are having to make do with SDR.

although multiple sources in Italy and America have said they have been told Samsung is working on a fix, one contact referred to somebody at DirecTV engineering discussing the issue with Samsung.

rozel
Voyager
Options

Thanks.   And what's the exact score with Virgin,  have they started HDR transmissions yet?

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

Here is the sentence: 

"They do support UHD HDR via HDMI, just not when encoded using HLG.""

1. That's the present tense, not a statement of their plans. 

2. It's factually wrong in that we know the KS TVs DO support HLG when the connected device doesn't check the EDID!

But that is the issue in that state that the ks will not be able to receive Hlg over HDMI. 

Yes and I'm saying it's not news, and it's not a statement that "they will not fix the EDID", so please stop saying that they said they wouldn't fix the EDID. We don't need to introduce any more misunderstandings where there are none.

@paul1111 wrote:

I know we have been told that the HD fury may get round that 

Eh? We know for certain that it does (present tense), but it's a very expensive work-around that I would not go for.

but does it not leave a sour taste that they will not update the edid? 

IF, IF, IF they do not update the EDID which we do not yet know and they did not say that they would not, yes of course. The whole fiasco does.

Let's just take a breath. We have a statement that we could have had 6 months ago, it's taken 6 months, but it doesn't affect the world-wide EDID bug and it doesn't even refer to it.

I agree that it say's it does not support Hlg over HDMI. I can not see where they are saying they are still working on a fix. It says to me,  that is it and don't expect anymore. So that just leaves devices that don't ask for edid info or the fury and has anyone here actually got one and can say it does actually work. 

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@jordanwebbo90 wrote:

@rozel wrote:

I believe not much has changed since HDR launched there. People who have an integral are using that and people who don’t are having to make do with SDR.

although multiple sources in Italy and America have said they have been told Samsung is working on a fix, one contact referred to somebody at DirecTV engineering discussing the issue with Samsung.

If that was the case why did @AntS not say that. We keep hearing rumors but unless its official I would take it with a pinch of salt. @AntS said that the ks would not be able to receive Hlg via HDMI. No we are working on it but you will not be able to. I think that is quite clear 

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

How do we test,  what with?  I'm on the cusp of getting one.

0 Likes