Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
dunwell
Voyager
Options

I'm going to speak to my retailer (Hills Sound & Vision) in the morning. I'm absolutely loathe to bring them into it as a small independent retailer who gave me great service but I would appreciate a conversation with them to see what they can do.

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@gfsracing wrote:

The statement does not state they are not going to fix the EDID

all it does is state the current state of play as answered on other forums

It is clear it says the ks will not be getting Hlg over HDMI. To get Hlg over HDMI we needed the edid update. That is not going to happen,  so no sky Hlg no other HDMI devices that use the edid,  unless you buy a HD fury. 

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

I'm sorry, I think I must have missed something, I mean I read the bit that all our comments had been useful and appreciated by the samung people. But then I could only find a summary of how our KS and JS sets were operating at the end of last year and that since then ABSOLUTELY NOTHING has changed or even been attempted to change in respect to bringing the 4K HLG iplayer to our tellies. LOLOLOL (I'm laughing because I cannot have imagined a less informative/hopeful statement).

Honestly, poor show samsung.

BTW @AntS...

could you please answer my comment from last week, asking what has happened to the iplayer on my and another JS owner's TV, for the past 2 weeks it refuses to open, even after reinstalling and rebooting the one connect mini.

Cheers. Cris.

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@gfsracing wrote:

It is clear it says the ks will not be getting Hlg over HDMI. 

No Paul, it does not say "will not be getting".

It just re-states the current situation, using the present tense.

Here is the sentence: 

"They do support UHD HDR via HDMI, just not when encoded using HLG.""

1. That's the present tense, not a statement of their plans. 

2. It's factually wrong in that we know the KS TVs DO support HLG when the connected device doesn't check the EDID!

Frazzler
Explorer
Options

Any reccomends for an exchange for the KS8000, is the LG B7 the best bet?

0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@gfsracing wrote:

It is clear it says the ks will not be getting Hlg over HDMI. 

No Paul, it does not say "will not be getting".

It just re-states the current situation, using the present tense.

Here is the sentence: 

"They do support UHD HDR via HDMI, just not when encoded using HLG.""

1. That's the present tense, not a statement of their plans. 

2. It's factually wrong in that we know the KS TVs DO support HLG when the connected device doesn't check the EDID!

But that is the issue in that state that the ks will not be able to receive Hlg over HDMI. I know we have been told that the HD fury may get round that but does it not leave a sour taste that they will not update the edid? 

chopples123
Voyager
Options

Poor this, I also think the explanation given by Samsung is a brush off. 

We as a community have not always seen eye to eye but have worked together to find the reasons why both iplayer and HLG over hdmi does not work as it should and even found work arounds.

At the very least Samsung should be able to give us a technical explanation why its not possible to provide a fix for both the EDID issue and Iplayer.

cheers

dunwell
Voyager
Options

With regard to the use of an HD Fury

I believe this model supports 4k resolution both in and out and will allow you to fix a custom EDID. It costs £83.70 from Amazon UK. I haven't checked other retailers and I can't provide a personal assurance that this will work; I've never used one of these devices before and I'm not sure I would know where to start!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDFury-Splitter-Resolution-compliant-10-2Gbps-Black/dp/B016ZY2G6A/ref=sr_1_...

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

At the very least Samsung should be able to give us a technical explanation why its not possible to provide a fix for both the EDID issue and Iplayer.

cheers

Absolutely. I asked that we be told this right at the beginning, since then we've heard nothing until now. A 3 paragraph statement which hasn't altered at all from the start of this thread.

I like my JS but believe me, every day I wish it would break down so as to give me the reason to buy a better TV from anyone but samsung.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

it might be worth waiting to see what @tarbat says. It was my understanding the fix needed to be turned off when viewing none HLG content. this can be done with the integral i think over the network using your phone?? so is pretty straight forward to use. Not sure if this other device can be programmed the same way?

cheers