Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Jay108
Voyager
Options

Below link provide some more info on 4k iplayer and world cup broadcast.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/6-key-facts-about-bbcs-4k-iplayer-world-cup-broadcasts

AntS
Options

Hi all.

Official final statement on iPlayer HLG for KS Series TV's is:

“All of Samsung’s 2016 HDR TVs support HLG Broadcast technology (firmware update required). BBC UHD i-Player, however, relies on a mixture of technologies, not just HLG, to enable its streaming of UHD content.  Samsung have no plans to support BBC UHD  i-Player on its 2016 UHD TV Range.”

Additionally, from our engineers:

"2016 SUHD TV’s support UHD HDR HLG via Broadcast, Satellite & Terrestrial and from USB. They do support UHD HDR via HDMI, just not when encoded using HLG."

For JS Series TV's, I can confirm:

“Samsung’s 2015 SUHD TV’s cannot support HLG.”

Fully appreciate that the iPlayer and JS Series news isn't what people wanted to hear. But hopefully, the above also brings a bit of clarity for all as to how HLG can be delivered on a KS TV.

I would like to thank all of you for the input you’ve made on this issue. I know that it may not seem like it from where you are, but the above final verdict wasn’t reached lightly; and your authentic voices made many people at our end take notice, reconsider the situation, and look hard and extensively into this matter – hence the length of time it’s taken.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@AntS wrote:

Hi all.

Official final statement on iPlayer HLG for KS Series TV's is:

“All of Samsung’s 2016 HDR TVs support HLG Broadcast technology (firmware update required). BBC UHD i-Player, however, relies on a mixture of technologies, not just HLG, to enable its streaming of UHD content.  Samsung have no plans to support BBC UHD  i-Player on its 2016 UHD TV Range.”

Additionally, from our engineers:

"2016 SUHD TV’s support UHD HDR HLG via Broadcast, Satellite & Terrestrial and from USB. They do support UHD HDR via HDMI, just not when encoded using HLG."

For JS Series TV's, I can confirm:

“Samsung’s 2015 SUHD TV’s cannot support HLG.”

Fully appreciate that the iPlayer and JS Series news isn't what people wanted to hear. But hopefully, the above also brings a bit of clarity for all as to how HLG can be delivered on a KS TV.

I would like to thank all of you for the input you’ve made on this issue. I know that it may not seem like it from where you are, but the above final verdict wasn’t reached lightly; and your authentic voices made many people at our end take notice, reconsider the situation, and look hard and extensively into this matter – hence the length of time it’s taken.

Does that mean no edid? 

paul1111
Hotshot
Options
I think either HD fury or a visit to ks refunds thread where people are having success.
Jay108
Voyager
Options

in summary;

KS and JS Model tv's will not be able to enjoy BBC Iplayer HLG content.  Not even ROKU?

Will never touch Samsung product ever.  

jordanwebbo90
Pioneer
Options

That reads to me like them drawing a line under the whole thing and basically saying the EDID will never be fixed.

absolutly ridiculous!!!

Jay108
Voyager
Options

@AntS  What is the reason for not providing a simple EDID fix?  Surely this would be good workaround. Have Samsung considered this option at all?

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

I think we got the answer which buy our nice new tellies if you want Hlg! 

dunwell
Voyager
Options

If that is a definitive statement that HLG won’t be officially supported over HDMI then that is absolutely outrageous. Completely unforgivable given the fix is incredibly simple to the EDID situation. 

So our options are to either use a Roku SS+ (if it works for all HLG streamed content) or buy an HD Fury. 

What is most upsetting is that this also appears to rule out SkyQ or Virgin from ever being able to show HLG on our KS televisions. If this is the case then I am beyond furious. 

@AntS the statement you have provided is an enormous slap in the face. I accept you are only the messenger but I see no way how the community view can have been taken into account if nothing beyond what is the present status quo is being provided. 

Disgrace. 

stevej190
Pioneer
Options

God it’s like banging your head against a wall. This statement just outlines the current position which I think most of us are perfectly aware. We only needed clarity on the EDID issue to bring matters to a close. 

Are we to assume by not mentioning the EDID there is no fix?