Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2017 06:16 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

Just been on the Virgin Media forum and looks as if they are at last starting to roll out the new firmware which offers HDR.

Those that have received it confirm UHD\HLG trial on the iPlayer.  Not hit my region yet (Hove) but I'm sure I will just get UHD SDR.  I can't believe I will get lucky again where it ignores the EDID!

edit: Someone who has got the update confirms they can only see the FA cup match trial.  Whether that means it won't be showing the World Cup matches is anyone guess.  However as the V6 box IS on the list as *TBC* at least offers some hope.  So how much does a Fury cost and which one do I need?!!!!

gfsracing
Navigator
Options
Samsung recently updated the tv for the game mode hdr fix so hopefully they have not abandoned these TVs
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@gfsracing wrote:
Samsung recently updated the tv for the game mode hdr fix so hopefully they have not abandoned these TVs

Yes but they never went on record saying they couldn't and wouldn't do that.  However with the iPlayer they have gone on record to say it isn't happening

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

Some really good summaries of where we are with this thanks. 

I'm one of the KS owners that went for a Roku+.  I have contacted the BBC and Roku for information on why it's not on the list and if I hear anything of note I'll let you know.  At the moment I'm assuming I'll be watching the World Cup in 1080i like the vast majority of the population! 

SkyQ is 1080p, and I'd imagine most 'newer' sources, including the web version of iPlayer get up to 1080p over 1080i.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@blenky wrote:

Just been on the Virgin Media forum and looks as if they are at last starting to roll out the new firmware which offers HDR.

Those that have received it confirm UHD\HLG trial on the iPlayer.  Not hit my region yet (Hove) but I'm sure I will just get UHD SDR.  I can't believe I will get lucky again where it ignores the EDID!

edit: Someone who has got the update confirms they can only see the FA cup match trial.  Whether that means it won't be showing the World Cup matches is anyone guess.  However as the V6 box IS on the list as *TBC* at least offers some hope.  So how much does a Fury cost and which one do I need?!!!!

The virgin box is HDMI so do you still need the edid fix for ks models ?

dunwell
Voyager
Options

Yes, unless the Virgin box has the same laissez-faire attitude to EDID compliance as the Roku!

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Yes, unless the Virgin box has the same laissez-faire attitude to EDID compliance as the Roku!

Exactly!  Round and round we go

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

Is this the HD Fury I would need if the VM's V6 does not send the HLG?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDFury-Doctor-Problem-Manager-Emulator-Black/dp/B00755DBCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

gfsracing
Navigator
Options
The model the others have been using is the jd fury integral

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDFury-Integral-Extractor-Manager-Resolutions-Gold/dp/B016ZY2FZ2/ref=sr_1_1...

Don’t know about the other but it need to have 4k hdr passthrough
0 Likes
paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@blenky wrote:

Is this the HD Fury I would need if the VM's V6 does not send the HLG?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HDFury-Doctor-Problem-Manager-Emulator-Black/dp/B00755DBCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

Is it made by Samsung ?

0 Likes