Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 07-01-2019 10:05 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
shimceltic
Pioneer
Options

Can't say I've noticed any issues with the hdr mapping, but I haven't got it hooked up to a calibration machine! 

The ks7000 I sold my friend has developed a fault,, I think he has picked it up holding the screen. Anyone had similar? 20190102_125510.jpg

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@shimceltic wrote:

Can't say I've noticed any issues with the hdr mapping, but I haven't got it hooked up to a calibration machine! 

The ks7000 I sold my friend has developed a fault,, I think he has picked it up holding the screen. Anyone had similar? 20190102_125510.jpg

It a problem if you put any pressure on the screen it can be easily damaged.  Often looks like cracks in the screen as well. 

0 Likes
shimceltic
Pioneer
Options

Is it fixable?

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@shimceltic wrote:

Is it fixable?

Sorry but think new screen job. The mods here should know. 

0 Likes
CarlH
Options

Hi @shimceltic. If the line still appears aduring a Picture Test, it would be best if an engineer inspected the TV. This link will direct you to the closest Service Centre in your area.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Interesting to note that Widevine DRM has been definitively broken by hackers.

https://twitter.com/David3141593/status/1080606827384131590

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
Sorry to multi post but thing is important.

Just been told by a relative who went to buy a laptop from Curry's who was coerce into buying their ridiculously expensive cover.
He was naive in thinking they were being honest and when they asked if he wanted the 3 year protection he said no. Then they said no probs we will give you a free month's cover at no cost. He said OK, but then they wanted his banks details and was told this was just normal procedure even though he paid with a credit card. When he got home and told his wife who is switched on she checked the details and they had signed him up to a 3 year protection plan at a large monthly payment. The free month was just knocked off the cost. His wife went back to the Stockport store and demanded a full refund due to their underhand tactics which she got. Their business has now gone elsewhere.

What is concerning about this is how many other people get caught out by this?

Never trust any Curry's sale's staff, because they get big bonuses for selling the expensive insurance and will also lie and tell you anything to get a sale, and then deny saying anything when you go back. That is why it is so important to get everything you want in writing, and never think any salesman is your friend, you are just their next paycheck.

Paul
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

Ok, we aren't getting this - but who's going to start the letter writing campaign?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/01/06/apple-and-samsung-bury-the-hatchet-with-shock-itu...

0 Likes
crashcris
Voyager
Options

@TastyBurger666 wrote:

Ok, we aren't getting this - but who's going to start the letter writing campaign?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2019/01/06/apple-and-samsung-bury-the-hatchet-with-shock-itu...

Oh my goodness! That's fantastic, it does away with needing to buy the very expensive 4k Apple TV box. Dare I break cover and be the first (and probably, only) one here to say that I might even consider buying another Samsung next time. It all depends on how long my JS lasts and what else is out there when I need to buy, of course. Plus, just because they say they'll be bringing it to their 2018 TVs, doesn't neccessarily mean it'll be in any set timeframe. Expect a new thread of 2018 Samsung owners complaining of not having this applied to their TVs and absolute silence from Samsung on this matter in the near future. LOL

Kendo88
Explorer
Options

Don’t fall for it lol. The same problems will always exist. I have an Apple TV 4K, it’s great and gets updates regularly.

i will never rely on the built in smart hub on my tv to be my main method of accessing smart apps, we have seen the issues with iPlayer on our KS models. You spend so much on the tv, get a proper smart box to go with it, at least Until Samsung can commit and prove themselves with keeping their products up to date