Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 14-12-2018 10:38 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
dunwell
Voyager
Options

Huge thanks to Blenky for the download link. Installed this morning very easily and everything working.

I updated my Roku SS+ (not used since the World Cup!) and been watching both the test loop and Dynasties this morning.

Some quick observations:

- Yes, it works!

- I don't have professional measuring devices but the colour issue has obviously been addressed. I watched a lot of the Test Loop in early June and frankly the FA Cup footage looked awful. It looks really good now.

- Dynasties looks superb, the sorts of pictures you would see in the TV showroom.

Can't wait for Sky to sort themselves out and start broadcasting in HLG now.

It's been a long journey - I wasn't always sure we would get here. Well done to everyone in Italy for their hard work, particular thanks to @Saverio571 who tried his best to keep us updated, despite some *****ic regular abuse from a poster who I won't tag.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@dunwell wrote:

Huge thanks to Blenky for the download link. Installed this morning very easily and everything working.

I updated my Roku SS+ (not used since the World Cup!) and been watching both the test loop and Dynasties this morning.

Some quick observations:

- Yes, it works!

- I don't have professional measuring devices but the colour issue has obviously been addressed. I watched a lot of the Test Loop in early June and frankly the FA Cup footage looked awful. It looks really good now.

- Dynasties looks superb, the sorts of pictures you would see in the TV showroom.

Can't wait for Sky to sort themselves out and start broadcasting in HLG now.

It's been a long journey - I wasn't always sure we would get here. Well done to everyone in Italy for their hard work, particular thanks to @Saverio571 who tried his best to keep us updated, despite some *****ic regular abuse from a poster who I won't tag.

It was not abuse it was asking questions. The abuse came from the other direction. 

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

I think the aggravation, abuse, impoliteness, call it what you like, came from you (we still haven't worked out how many usernames you use) and despite everything the previous poster was totally correct - it was down to our wonderful colleagues in Italy, who sorted this out.  Had this thread not got bogged down with ding dongs and having a go at each other, again caused by your tone and language, we may have become "partners" in all this and perhaps now we could have had a better relationship with Samsung. 

Paul**** The problems lie firmly with you and I believe now is the time to show some humiliation and apology rather than still trying to blame others.

rozel
Voyager
Options
Maybe now is the time to close this thread and we open another to discuss the forthcoming HLG via SkyQ ?
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@rozel wrote:

I think the aggravation, abuse, impoliteness, call it what you like, came from you (we still haven't worked out how many usernames you use) and despite everything the previous poster was totally correct - it was down to our wonderful colleagues in Italy, who sorted this out.  Had this thread not got bogged down with ding dongs and having a go at each other, again caused by your tone and language, we may have become "partners" in all this and perhaps now we could have had a better relationship with Samsung. 

Paul**** The problems lie firmly with you and I believe now is the time to show some humiliation and apology rather than still trying to blame others.

Is it not right in a democracy to be able to ask questions,  be critical and sometimes not believe everything you here unless collaborated from other sources?  I do ask why Samsung UK never kept us up to date and why did the Italian forums have more information,  and why they got the update before us and why Sky Italian has hlg working and not us? 

Where is HDR10+,  smart things dongle,  and still issues with recording,  even on the 2018 models. 

But thanks for your input and no, l ways question without using abuse unlike others, as this an open forum. 

I think if what you are saying is correct  and I breached the terms and conditions then why have the moderators not removed me.  I have lots of private messages supporting me and I also know quite a few complaints we're made against some other posters here due to their abuse.  

So no i will not apologize for asking questions and I would kindly ask you to stop asking me to-do so. 

I think with the combined support and pressure these forums and others it might have helped get this resolution. I think without this pressure we may not now be enjoying hlg over HDMI. 

Paul

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@rozel wrote:
Maybe now is the time to close this thread and we open another to discuss the forthcoming HLG via SkyQ ?

It's quite simple really,  if you do not agree then either reply with reasonable arguments,  not personal attacks or just do not part take in this forum. 

AntS
Options

Hi guys.

Those of us from a more “neutral” (and I use the word loosely here) perspective are aware of who did what and when.

I think it’s best to focus on the positives here though.

Whilst I was never too confident in a specific Smart Hub app being updated, I had hoped for something that allowed for an external connected device to deliver HLG content… because that would have longer-term, more universal applicability for the owners of those TV's. That’s happened – at least for models that it could happen for.

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
Paul is clear that you do not even learn from your mistakes. To err is human, to persevere is diabolical.
You are not suitable for being in a community
Saverio Casadidio
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:
Paul is clear that you do not even learn from your mistakes. To err is human, to persevere is diabolical.
You are not suitable for being in a community

I have notified the moderators for inappropriate post. 

0 Likes
Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
Here the only one inappropriate is you, Paul.
Instead of apologizing yet blah blah blah
Saverio Casadidio
0 Likes