Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 05-12-2018 09:54 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Kendo88 wrote:
Agree with the sky but. But partly at Samsung for not having a platform capable on the tv itself. Then surely a big finger has to point at BBC themselves, surely they could get 4K HLG iPlayer working on Apple TV, Xbox one S/X and PS4 pro?

"They"? The BBC have already done the work! But their player needs the platform and libraries to run. Just like "they" were not responsible for the iPlayer 4k not working on the Samsung KS series - entire 100% Samsung's fault. Equally, I don't want my licence fee money spent on the BBC doing work which should be done by Apple, Microsoft and Sony respectively.

TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@Kendo88 wrote:

Nah, I have a Sky Q Silver 2TB and a Xbox One X, I have plenty of capable hardware! Just not push from the manufacturers to get the software going

Then, as you know UHD is a paid extra service on Sky Q.

BBC 4k support for One X hasn't been announced yet, but I bet it will in 2019, it is after all the only HDMI 2.1 capable device on the market at the moment.

0 Likes
Kendo88
Explorer
Options

Yeah, I’m not sure why they bundle UHD in with multiroom. I have a sky q mini in the bedroom, so get the UHD anyway.

its just the movies and stuff aren’t exciting to me without HDR. I find myself watching more movies in Apple TV to get the better quality

0 Likes
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@mrtickle wrote:

@Kendo88 wrote:

i have a KS7000, Sky Q, Apple TV 4K, Xbox One X, PS4. All 5 devices are 4K and have Iplayer, but apparently not available on any of them. I begrudge going to have to buy something else to plug into my TV for 4K iPlayer.

its mad

Yes. MOST of your anger, in your case, should be directed firmly at Sky.

Sky launched "Sky Q" about 2 years before it was ready and have been using their customers as Alpha and Beta testers.

Even now, with Italy Sky Q boxes fully supporting HLG since April this year*, they are dragging their feet and refuse to enable HLG on UK Sky Q boxes until next year.

(* And we have to remember our gratitude to the Italian Sky Q users who have KS7000 TVs. It was their pressure, their numbers, their vociferousness and the collaboration between Sky Italia and Samsung that resulted in the KS series getting this fix at all! )

Probably because the Sky Q v1 2TB box can’t actually do HDR/HLG, so Sky will need to replace all v1 boxes with the v2 2TB box.

0 Likes
Kendo88
Explorer
Options

Probably because the Sky Q v1 2TB box can’t actually do HDR/HLG, so Sky will need to replace all v1 boxes with the v2 2TB box.

Where is that info? Only differences I’m aware of is the power supply, the removal of the hdmi input and the gigabit Ethernet over the 100mb. Can’t see nothing suggesting HLG not being supported on v1

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@Kendo88 wrote:

Where is that info? Only differences I’m aware of is the power supply, the removal of the hdmi input and the gigabit Ethernet over the 100mb. Can’t see nothing suggesting HLG not being supported on v1

I originally had a v1 box when sky Q launched, its HDMI port at that time was 2.0a. The v2 will be hdmi 2.0b and therefore supports HLG.

Sky may have updated the hdmi port on the old one, not sure tbh

cheers

0 Likes
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

I originally had a v1 box when sky Q launched, its HDMI port at that time was 2.0a. The v2 will be hdmi 2.0b and therefore supports HLG.

Sky may have updated the hdmi port on the old one, not sure tbh

Excusing my ignorance but how do you know which box type you have? Can you find it in Settings 

0 Likes
mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@mrtickle wrote:

@Kendo88 wrote:

i have a KS7000, Sky Q, Apple TV 4K, Xbox One X, PS4. All 5 devices are 4K and have Iplayer, but apparently not available on any of them. I begrudge going to have to buy something else to plug into my TV for 4K iPlayer.

its mad

Yes. MOST of your anger, in your case, should be directed firmly at Sky.

Sky launched "Sky Q" about 2 years before it was ready and have been using their customers as Alpha and Beta testers.

Even now, with Italy Sky Q boxes fully supporting HLG since April this year*, they are dragging their feet and refuse to enable HLG on UK Sky Q boxes until next year.

(* And we have to remember our gratitude to the Italian Sky Q users who have KS7000 TVs. It was their pressure, their numbers, their vociferousness and the collaboration between Sky Italia and Samsung that resulted in the KS series getting this fix at all! )

Do you have a technical source for that please. My understanding is that there are no functional differences.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

Sky Q Silver was announced november 2015 and released Feb 2016

HDMI 2.0b was announced March 2016 and updated in December 2016 to include HLG support

the v2 box DOES have a hdmi 2.0b port

This is only a theory but I expect part of the UK delay in delivery of SKY HLG is in part due to trying to solve the conudrum of updating the original Box to have the appropriate spec to handle the signal

As we have seen in this thread, In some cases it can be a bit tricky to sort

cheers

0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

Sky Q Silver was announced november 2015 and released Feb 2016

HDMI 2.0b was announced March 2016 and updated in December 2016 to include HLG support

the v2 box DOES have a hdmi 2.0b port

This is only a theory but I expect part of the UK delay in delivery of SKY HLG is in part due to trying to solve the conudrum of updating the original Box to have the appropriate spec to handle the signal

As we have seen in this thread, In some cases it can be a bit tricky to sort

cheers

Only the 2tb boxes are UHD capable, the 1tb boxes are 2.0a - however (and as I'm sure I've mentioned before), part of the HDMI certification process is that HDMI product families should be product compatible wherever possible, so going by the HDMI spec, the 2.0a ports SHOULD be able to be upgraded to become 2.0b ones, but that decision is up to Sky.

We already know the Q EPG software is the same on 1tb and 2tb boxes (as they both contain the HDMI references to UHD in the strings).

The boxes are getting a bit long in the tooth, though, and with 2.1 on the horizon and hardware refresh may be overdue, especially with the Dishless version of the platform in the pipeline.