Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 04-12-2018 01:08 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
gfsracing
Navigator
Options

The HLG has been fixed on 2016 TV's with firmware version 1239

You need to contact Samsung via live chat / telephone who will send you a USB stick with the new software on it.

The BBC Iplayer will not be fixed. Some users have bought a 4k HDR streaming stick plugged into the USB and confirm that this works

There is no longer any need for a HD Fury as all HDMI ports can now receive HLG

Kendo88
Explorer
Options

Glad we finally got our wish with this.

HLG over HDMI was the big promise that I was hoping was fulfilled, so glad that is over.

still a shame that with all the tech I have, I still have not been able to watch Dynasties in 4KHDR, as I don’t have a device capable of HDR iPlayer.

i have a KS7000, Sky Q, Apple TV 4K, Xbox One X, PS4. All 5 devices are 4K and have Iplayer, but apparently not available on any of them. I begrudge going to have to buy something else to plug into my TV for 4K iPlayer.

its mad

mrtickle
Helping Hand
Options

@Kendo88 wrote:

i have a KS7000, Sky Q, Apple TV 4K, Xbox One X, PS4. All 5 devices are 4K and have Iplayer, but apparently not available on any of them. I begrudge going to have to buy something else to plug into my TV for 4K iPlayer.

its mad

Yes. MOST of your anger, in your case, should be directed firmly at Sky.

Sky launched "Sky Q" about 2 years before it was ready and have been using their customers as Alpha and Beta testers.

Even now, with Italy Sky Q boxes fully supporting HLG since April this year*, they are dragging their feet and refuse to enable HLG on UK Sky Q boxes until next year.

(* And we have to remember our gratitude to the Italian Sky Q users who have KS7000 TVs. It was their pressure, their numbers, their vociferousness and the collaboration between Sky Italia and Samsung that resulted in the KS series getting this fix at all! )

Kendo88
Explorer
Options
Agree with the sky but. But partly at Samsung for not having a platform capable on the tv itself. Then surely a big finger has to point at BBC themselves, surely they could get 4K HLG iPlayer working on Apple TV, Xbox one S/X and PS4 pro?
0 Likes
TastyBurger666
Voyager
Options
l
@Kendo88 wrote:
Agree with the sky but. But partly at Samsung for not having a platform capable on the tv itself. Then surely a big finger has to point at BBC themselves, surely they could get 4K HLG iPlayer working on Apple TV, Xbox one S/X and PS4 pro?

iPlayer on the PS4 pro is gimped (doesn't support HLG). UHD on the X should be possible, but beware YouTube 4K is only available on the X, and not the S. Suspect that'll be the way forward when - WHEN - the BBC announces UHD support for the One. 

Also suspect with the information you've given us your Sky Q is the 1Tb version, which also doesn't support HLG/HDR. 

But yes, I get your point, BBC gatekeeps UHD access to the app.

0 Likes
Kendo88
Explorer
Options

Nah, I have a Sky Q Silver 2TB and a Xbox One X, I have plenty of capable hardware! Just not push from the manufacturers to get the software going

Denonite
First Poster
Options
Anyone know if the new firmware fixes ARC issues. Have tried all the recommendations and nothing works, just upgraded to a new receiver and new HDMI cables and still can't get ARC working on my 60KS7000.

I'm also getting light bleed at the bottom of the screen so going to raise a support ticket.
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Denonite wrote:
Anyone know if the new firmware fixes ARC issues. Have tried all the recommendations and nothing works, just upgraded to a new receiver and new HDMI cables and still can't get ARC working on my 60KS7000.

I'm also getting light bleed at the bottom of the screen so going to raise a support ticket.

In the sound settings on the TV  have you set it to Bitstream,  not PCM. 

0 Likes
Denonite
First Poster
Options

@paul1277 wrote:

@Denonite wrote:

Yes its set to Bitstream. I used to have Receiver as a sound output option in addition to TV Speaker, Optical and Bluetooth but that disappeared when ARC stopped working (TV remote also used to control the volume).

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Denonite wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:

@Denonite wrote:

Yes its set to Bitstream. I used to have Receiver as a sound output option in addition to TV Speaker, Optical and Bluetooth but that disappeared when ARC stopped working (TV remote also used to control the volume).

If it worked then stops without you changing anything then sounds like a fault with the TV.  

0 Likes