Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 03-12-2018 01:12 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
Fadge
Journeyman
Options

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice. I have been following this forum from very early on and have read so much but I am a little unclear where I stand with my tv as much of what has been written relates to the KS range. I also see that this topic is marked as solved in the web page title so hoping that is the case for me also.

I have a JS9000 and also a k8500 Ultra Blueray Player, along with a virgin V6 box. Am i going to be able to get any future broadcasts by the BBC in UHD and HDR, either directly or via the likes of the V6 box?

I also see a new SEK-4500 evolution box is due to be launched shortly and despite the cost I thought I might purchase one if it solves this problem and will work with the likes of HLG as used by the BBC. I had thought I could recoup some of the cost by selling the one-connect box that came with the JS9000 but from what I have read the SEK-4500 may have to plug into a HDMI port on the one-connect box. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Fadge wrote:

Hi,

I would appreciate some advice. I have been following this forum from very early on and have read so much but I am a little unclear where I stand with my tv as much of what has been written relates to the KS range. I also see that this topic is marked as solved in the web page title so hoping that is the case for me also.

I have a JS9000 and also a k8500 Ultra Blueray Player, along with a virgin V6 box. Am i going to be able to get any future broadcasts by the BBC in UHD and HDR, either directly or via the likes of the V6 box?

I also see a new SEK-4500 evolution box is due to be launched shortly and despite the cost I thought I might purchase one if it solves this problem and will work with the likes of HLG as used by the BBC. I had thought I could recoup some of the cost by selling the one-connect box that came with the JS9000 but from what I have read the SEK-4500 may have to plug into a HDMI port on the one-connect box. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Thanks

I think the  V6 will pass through iPlayer hlg with the new firm ware.  So before buying the new one connect try the firmware.  As to your blurry does it have the iPlayer 4k app?  Not sure if it does. That us why people are now able to watch hlg iPlayer via the Roku and Amazon stick. 

Paul

0 Likes
F1NNU
Journeyman
Options

I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that the 1239 firmware is for the 2016 KS (and possibly KU) series only.

In the official announcement by @AntS in June (around page 328 of this thread) he wrote:

“Samsung’s 2015 SUHD TV’s cannot support HLG.”

I know nothing about the K8500 or SEK-4500, sorry.

chopples123
Voyager
Options

Correct no 2015 TV’s support hlg 

the sek-4500 connects via hdmi and needs to be daisy chained, it has the most recent tizen but is limited by the capabilities of the display it is connected to

cheers

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@F1NNU wrote:

I may be wrong, but it is my understanding that the 1239 firmware is for the 2016 KS (and possibly KU) series only.

In the official announcement by @AntS@ in June (around page 328 of this thread) he wrote:

“Samsung’s 2015 SUHD TV’s cannot support HLG.”

I know nothing about the K8500 or SEK-4500, sorry.

Yes that is correct, unfortuanately it does not seem to support the 2015 JS series.

0 Likes
Fadge
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for the replies. I will check the K8500 for the 4k IPlayer app later. It did not have it when I checked some time ago but maybe the firmware has been updated.

Does anyone know if the RoKu or Firestick 4K deliver HLG HDR to the JS series as I would be happy with that option or does the JS suffer from the same problem as the KS had in relation to the TV not telling the box what it can handle?

If not then I don't think this thread should be marked at closed. A TV and Blueray combo that cost over £3000 not that long ago should be updated. Not to mention what some must have paid for the 65" version!!!

The reason I went ahead with the purchase was because I read somewhere that the TV was futureproofed via new evolution boxes. I would have thought that as the TV panel can cover a high dynamic range then as long as an evolution box connected to it had the correct software and hardware to handle HLG or if the likes of the Roku handled this aspect, that the screen should work but I am not particularly clued up on the technical aspects of the screen.

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

Hi mate

Read previous replys

best you can hope for from iplayer is 4K sdr

this should be achievable via the v6 box you already have

cheers

Fadge
Journeyman
Options

Thanks Chopples123. Yes I did manage to get 4k SDR through V6 box, both on BT Sport and through Virgins dedicated UHD channel but the iPlayer App on the V6 appears to be standard definition at present. 

Seems I should have saved some money and bought a JU instead of the JS as it looks like I will not get the benefit or the SUHD unless I play a UHD Blue Ray. A bit of a waste just for the odd film.

I ususlly buy a lot of Samsung products, including the top of the range phone and have recomended their TV's to lots of family and friends. I certainly won't be buying or recomending anything Samsung ever again. 😞

0 Likes
BAMozzy
Navigator
Options

@Fadge wrote:

Thanks for the replies. I will check the K8500 for the 4k IPlayer app later. It did not have it when I checked some time ago but maybe the firmware has been updated.

Does anyone know if the RoKu or Firestick 4K deliver HLG HDR to the JS series as I would be happy with that option or does the JS suffer from the same problem as the KS had in relation to the TV not telling the box what it can handle?

If not then I don't think this thread should be marked at closed. A TV and Blueray combo that cost over £3000 not that long ago should be updated. Not to mention what some must have paid for the 65" version!!!

The reason I went ahead with the purchase was because I read somewhere that the TV was futureproofed via new evolution boxes. I would have thought that as the TV panel can cover a high dynamic range then as long as an evolution box connected to it had the correct software and hardware to handle HLG or if the likes of the Roku handled this aspect, that the screen should work but I am not particularly clued up on the technical aspects of the screen.

Regardless of what you do, what external devices support HLG, the J series (2015) TV's will NOT support HLG - certainly not unless something changes in the future.

If a SEK is released that connects through the HDMI, then that will not enable HLG either as HLG will not pass through the HDMI ports and the TV, as far as I am aware has not been updated to support the HLG format. Just having HDR capability (wider colour gamut and increased brightness) does not mean that the TV can play ever HDR format - it doesn't have Dolby Vision or any Dynamic Metadata HDR support even if the panel itself 'could' display it.

As it stands right now, the best you can get is iPlayer UHD via an external device and cannot play HLG regardless. I don't know wha advantage the new SEK will bring, but if it has to be connected to a HDMI port, then you will be limited to the capabilities of that port. Maybe Samsung will find a way to add HLG when they release that SEK, but as the TV does not have HDMI2.0b ports, I think that is very unlikely. It seems that the SEK-4500 is more a replacement for the 3500 rather than an upgrade. It does look to add 'smartthings' but it seems that its mostly enabling those without a SEK to have multiple HDMI2.0a HDCP2.2 ports to work with SkyQ, Apple TV etc - not to add HLG, HDR10+ etc

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@ewanstancarr wrote:

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

@AntS I don't think this thread is solved.