Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 26-11-2018 06:00 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
rozel
Voyager
Options

Rather obvious to me.   The Italian people have Sky HDR  we haven't yet.   Not wanting to be too antagonistic because this is indeed good news but Paul,  you are going to have to eat an awful lot of humble pie soon,  me thinks!

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@rozel wrote:

Rather obvious to me.   The Italian people have Sky HDR  we haven't yet.   Not wanting to be too antagonistic because this is indeed good news but Paul,  you are going to have to eat an awful lot of humble pie soon,  me thinks!

It not that I do not believe,  but I also like to see sources,  and we have been in the situation before when it was about to happen and we know where that went. If we do get an update that works for hlg over HDMI,  and not just for sky but any device that sends a hlg signal then brilliant,  and it's odd how the mods here who should be in the know can not tell us anything.  If Samsung really had a fix and were going to role it out surely they would have informed us,  rather than from third hand rumors. Again if we get the fix then yes I will eat my hat,  but still ask why it took so long. That also begs the question why a tech company as big as Samsung have took so long to fix,  if they do have a fix. 

Onpoint
Explorer
Options

@blenky wrote:

@Onpoint wrote:

Good news guys! So I checked in on the Italian forum and saw that the moderator had said the FW is being released by Samsung as from this morning and that people should contact them. So I have and they're sending me out the update on a USB, but could take 5-7 days although hopefully sooner. It was specifically stated that the update allows HDR and HLG via inputs.

Ok sounds good.

If Samsung are releasing this why are you getting it on a USB?  Won't it be released OTA and also via Samsung's web site?  Who do we contact to get this? Not via the Italian forum as I can't join due to strange anti spam question on registration. 

I read the Italian forum where someone asked ERCOLINO for the FW and he replied with "From this morning the sw is available through Samsung Support . 

Contact the call center"

So I thought I'd contact Samsung support and ask for it myself (even though I was assuming this was Italian support only). I imagine it will be available to download sometime soon, I was hoping they would direct me to a download but they said it would be sent via USB. No idea why. 

So I went here and used the live chat function https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/UE49KS7000UXXU/ but you could phone or email too.

They asked for model/serial/software number

0 Likes
rozel
Voyager
Options

Blah blah blah - So repetitive - not having a go but get off your ***** soapbox and give people a chance

0 Likes
Onpoint
Explorer
Options

@BAMozzy wrote:

@Onpoint wrote:

Good news guys! So I checked in on the Italian forum and saw that the moderator had said the FW is being released by Samsung as from this morning and that people should contact them. So I have and they're sending me out the update on a USB, but could take 5-7 days although hopefully sooner. It was specifically stated that the update allows HDR and HLG via inputs.

Whilst that is great news, I don't know why Samsung don't upload the update to their website at the very least - rather than send out multiple USB's with it. It makes more sense to make it available for all to download and manually install - if they aren't planning to release it OTA.

Could you please provide the method/link to the method used to contact Samsung. I am fed up with talking to Samsung support as the person rarely knows anything and feel they are nothing more than telephone operatives, PR in place to talk to customers rather than knowledgeable 'support' staff with the required information to actually 'support' customers. I know its difficult to have all the information to hand about every product and the knowledge to actually help people but its still frustrating to talk to someone who has no knowledge of things - like providing a USB update for KS TV's and don't want to spend hours trying to get to talk to the right people that do.

See my latest reply for the link, it was just Samsung support via live chat

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@rozel wrote:

Blah blah blah - So repetitive - not having a go but get off your ***** soapbox and give people a chance

Ok I have my opinion,  you have yours,  so can we leave it at that,  rather than abuse. Thanks. 

0 Likes
Onpoint
Explorer
Options

I will update when I receive it, assuming I do...

Saverio571
MegaStar
Options
Opinion. Unfortunately yours is an opinion. The others do not give an opinion but give certainties.
So what is your opinion counting? zero.
Saverio Casadidio
Onpoint
Explorer
Options

If it helps this is what I initially said:

"I understand there is new firmware for the KS7000 tv's that will allow HDR/HLG via inputs, seems to have already been made available to some in Italy, how can I get a download? Thanks"

He went away, came back and said could provide a USB with the update and asked for the model number etc.

They were pretty slow to respond at times so stick with it, took 25 mins from start to finish but I was doing other things in between.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@Saverio571 wrote:
Opinion. Unfortunately yours is an opinion. The others do not give an opinion but give certainties.
So what is your opinion counting? zero.

Some months back you said with certainty that you could get hlg over HDMI,  then you said you could not!  You then said there was a fix,  then there was not,  so yes anything you say I take with a pinch of salt.  

Do you represent Samsung?  If so fine as you must be in the know,  other wise how come you know more than the Samsung moderators here? 

Everyone is entitled to an opinion again we live in a free country,  do you? 

0 Likes