Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 23-11-2018 07:45 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@SmartHUBtv wrote:

@

we have been expressly forbidden to provide the link from the forum administrator, and we respect his / her choice. It may also be that the Italian version is not good for TV on the English market with the danger that your TV is unusable! do you want to risk?
Did you see the photo I posted?

It is my updated 65Ks8000 television for HLG

WIN_20181123_15_36_35_Pro.jpg

It shows HDR but not HLG or am I missing something. We know the ks can receive HDR10 But not HLG over HDMI.  I have never heard of such censorship from a forum,  and why restrict as I thought all the European versions of the ks were the same,  so if it works on yours it should work on ours. Again sounds a bit like mischief to me. 

Paul

SmartHUBtv
Pioneer
Options

You're wrong and told by the administrator that only serves for Italian and not foreign as they are writing from all over Europe. this version enables the HLG HDR

0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@SmartHUBtv wrote:

You're wrong and told by the administrator that only serves for Italian and not foreign as they are writing from all over Europe. this version enables the HLG HDR

But your picture proves nothing as we know the TV can receive HDR over HDMI. It does not show HLG. 

Are not the TV's the same in Europe or did Samsung make a different TV for each country in Europe? 

SmartHUBtv
Pioneer
Options
every nation has different specifications within the TV, they are not the same.
Software specifically for the English market should be developed
0 Likes
paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@SmartHUBtv wrote:

Fair enough,  we have waited this long,  so have you any idea when it may be rolled out to us?  But still not holding my breath. 

SmartHUBtv
Pioneer
Options

I have personally been waiting for almost 2 years!
can 'be a week as a maximum of 1 month we start with the release of the update on the samsung site and then automatically via internet on TV, usually in Italy works this way.
The administrator of this site is not the first time that it releases to the users of the forum exclusive updates, in 2014 he did the same with the 4k on the samsung tv

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@SmartHUBtv wrote:

Hi mate, its the forums right to not share the firmware but I would just like to clear this up as you have mentioned this a few times.

take the KS8000 for example, model string for both italian and UK markets is T-JZMDEUC. If you where to check the current firmware which is available (1230.5)  you will see both UK and italian firmware downloads are the same right down to the checksum, any change no matter how miniscule would alter the checksum and in all liklehood alter the file size.

If you where then to check the USA website which uses a different model string you will see this is different.

info.text from both UK and ITA KS8000 1230.5 firmware file

anyone is welcome to check this themselves

edit... I think @blenky may have mentioned this earlier in the thread but talked about a KU set

cheers

samsung uk.pngsamsung.ita.png

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options
And I think that proves the point that the TV's are the same. So why not let us see if it works? Why is it just restricted to Italy? Again I think mischief and miss information, and yes you can tell us every thing now works but it does not for us and we have heard the same from the same part of the world!!!
tarbat
Voyager
Options

@SmartHUBtv wrote:

we have been expressly forbidden to provide the link from the forum administrator, and we respect his / her choice. It may also be that the Italian version is not good for TV on the English market with the danger that your TV is unusable! do you want to risk?

But that doesn't prove that Samsung have fixed the HLG problems, specifically to correct the HLG EOTF gamma curve for HLG content. This "fix" needs to fix two things:

1. Correct the TV's EDID to allow HDMI connected devices to detect an HLG compliant TV.

2. Correct the HLG EOTF gamma curve for all HLG content.

Has anyone with this new firmware actually tested some HLG calibration test content to measure whether the luminance response curve matches the correct HLG EOTF curve? If so, what was the maximum NITS measured on a 10% window at 100% luminence? On the old non-HLG firmware, the maximum was less than 500 NITS, so nowhere near the maximum luminance the TV is capable of.

1.jpg

Until someone does that, we have no idea if this test firmware completely fixes the HLG problem on KS TVs.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@tarbat wrote:

@SmartHUBtv wrote:

But that doesn't prove that Samsung have fixed the HLG problems, specifically to correct the HLG EOTF gamma curve for HLG content. This "fix" needs to fix two things:

1. Correct the TV's EDID to allow HDMI connected devices to detect an HLG compliant TV.

2. Correct the HLG EOTF gamma curve for all HLG content.

Has anyone with this new firmware actually tested some HLG calibration test content to measure whether the luminance response curve matches the correct HLG EOTF curve? If so, what was the maximum NITS measured on a 10% window at 100% luminence? On the old non-HLG firmware, the maximum was less than 500 NITS, so nowhere near the maximum luminance the TV is capable of.

Until someone does that, we have no idea if this test firmware completely fixes the HLG problem on KS TVs.

I think @chopples123

Hi mate, its the forums right to not share the firmware but I would just like to clear this up as you have mentioned this a few times.

take the KS8000 for example, model string for both italian and UK markets is T-JZMDEUC. If you where to check the current firmware which is available (1230.5)  you will see both UK and italian firmware downloads are the same right down to the checksum, any change no matter how miniscule would alter the checksum and in all liklehood alter the file size.

If you where then to check the USA website which uses a different model string you will see this is different.

info.text from both UK and ITA KS8000 1230.5 firmware file

anyone is welcome to check this themselves

edit... I think @blenky may have mentioned this earlier in the thread but talked about a KU set

cheers

These are reasonable questions and yes the info being given us, does not prove if we will get the update here?

Yes it would be great, but I and others do not believe everything anyone says without proof that we can see or test, apart from the information posted by the moderators. It is not criticizing other posters but I believe it is part of a healthy discussion with out abusing people, or belittling people.

If we get something wrong then explain not abuse!

Paul