Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 18-11-2018 11:12 AM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@chopples123 wrote:

@Dazeboy wrote:

Screenshot_20181114-165455.png

nope thats a different firmware, I think its only available in the USA atm and doesnt have any HLG fix

cheers

Correct.  However its getting some very good freviews - do a search on youtube.

0 Likes
ad1994
Pioneer
Options

Can we download the update to a USB and install that way?

0 Likes
chopples123
Voyager
Options

@ad1994 wrote:

Can we download the update to a USB and install that way?

no mate, updates are region specific, to be clear this update does not contain the HLG fix

cheers

0 Likes
ad1994
Pioneer
Options

Oh thats a shame, from the reviews on youtube the edge lit panels show a huge upgrade

0 Likes
cattv1
Explorer
Options

I have just started to test the new Amazon 4K stick with my J series Tv.

The picture quality on the 4k Dynasties is a big improvement over the HD Iplayer built into the Samsung. The Iplayer is also far quicker.

When I press the info button on the Samsung remote it always displays 3180X2160/60p  even when playing non 4K videos fromthe Iplayer/Amazon and Netflix despite setting the stick to ouput at the resolution of the source material.

It is not clear if the false information is being generated by the stick or by the tv.

Has anyone else tested the 4K Amazon stick ??

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@cattv1 wrote:

The picture quality on the 4k Dynasties is a big improvement over the HD Iplayer built into the Samsung. The Iplayer is also far quicker.

When I press the info button on the Samsung remote it always displays 3180X2160/60p  even when playing non 4K videos fromthe Iplayer/Amazon and Netflix despite setting the stick to ouput at the resolution of the source material.

It is not clear if the false information is being generated by the stick or by the tv.

I am using the Roku+ and my KS correctly reports it is outputting 50p as iPlayer is outputting at 25p.  It seems that the Firestick iPlayer is outputting 60p and not 25.

Onpoint
Explorer
Options

@cattv1 wrote:

Yeah I just got the 4k stick also, seems to default to 3480x2160 60p for everything with the setting at auto. I tried the 'Match Refresh Rate' but seems to stay the same as you say. I did however try changing the output to fixed 2160 50p which does change to info output on the TV to 3480x2160 50p.

I tried the test loop on iPlayer which was on Blue Planet and it did switch to HDR settings. No idea if HLG was working or not, not sure how to tell...? 

0 Likes
cattv1
Explorer
Options

Thanks for your comments.

I purchased the network card to eliminate buffering due to the wireless signal,this works well.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@Onpoint wrote:

@cattv1 wrote:

Yeah I just got the 4k stick also, seems to default to 3480x2160 60p for everything with the setting at auto. I tried the 'Match Refresh Rate' but seems to stay the same as you say. I did however try changing the output to fixed 2160 50p which does change to info output on the TV to 3480x2160 50p.

I tried the test loop on iPlayer which was on Blue Planet and it did switch to HDR settings. No idea if HLG was working or not, not sure how to tell...? 

If HDR is engaing it shows that the HLG is being passed over HDMI from the Firestick.  Do you have a KS\JS TV?

0 Likes
cattv1
Explorer
Options

I have a J series TV

0 Likes