Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPlayer HLG/UHD HDR on Samsung’s J and K Series TVs

(Topic created on: 14-11-2018 12:09 PM)
ewanstancarr
Pathfinder
Options

So, of the nigh on 400 TVs supported in BBC iplayer for the Blue Planet II  HLG episodes none are from Samsung. Oh joy. 

Moderator edit: Original thread title was "Blue Planet 2 HLG - No Samsung". With the OP's permission, the title was changed on 12/03/2018 to accurately reflect the dominant theme of the thread as it has progressed. If the reader would like to know more about the HLG format, please check out the BBC's page and FAQ's on it here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/projects/high-dynamic-range Thank you, AntS.

4,840 REPLIES 4,840
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1277 wrote:
I know bit off topic but right,

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/brits-still-denied-automatic-refunds-13563756

Thanks for the link - always good to know these things.

paul1277
Black Belt 
Options

@blenky wrote:

@paul1277 wrote:
I know bit off topic but right,

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/brits-still-denied-automatic-refunds-13563756

Thanks for the link - always good to know these things.

Its still worth for anyone having issues with retailers to contact all types of media. I have.

paul1111
Hotshot
Options

@blenky wrote:

@gfsracing wrote:

Do we know if it also fixes the washed out colours that the hd fury and 2019 models seemed to suffer from

Do you  mean 2016 models?  If so my 2016 KS playing HLG via the Roku + iPlayer app was not washed out. However it apparently was not displaying the correct gamma curve. The world cup games still looked fantastic!

Its washed out on the Iplayer HLG loop on a 75 q900 8K telly. Not inpressed.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@gfsracing wrote:

Do we know if it also fixes the washed out colours that the hd fury and 2019 models seemed to suffer from

Do you  mean 2016 models?  If so my 2016 KS playing HLG via the Roku + iPlayer app was not washed out. However it apparently was not displaying the correct gamma curve. The world cup games still looked fantastic!

Someone said that while playing the loop switch HDMI source and back again it can fix this.  Not tried it as HLG via Roku+ for me is excellent.

0 Likes
blenky
Helping Hand
Options

@paul1111 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@gfsracing wrote:

20181111_232725.jpg20181111_232709.jpg

Not washed out here!

0 Likes
hdmi
Voyager
Options

@blenky wrote:

@paul1111 wrote:

@blenky wrote:

@gfsracing wrote:

20181111_232725.jpg20181111_232709.jpg

Not washed out here!

On my OLED C7 this is brilliant - can see indivisual streaks on iceberg, amazing

0 Likes
shimceltic
Pioneer
Options
New firmware in the US that supposedly makes contrast far better and other fixes. Won't install onto my euro TV though.
0 Likes
Jay108
Voyager
Options

@shimceltic wrote:
New firmware in the US that supposedly makes contrast far better and other fixes. Won't install onto my euro TV though.

I found following on Samsung US website.

- Version : 1231.1  - Improved usability

1. Improved browser performance

2. Improved app performance

3.Improved stability

4.Improved usability of input devices

Onpoint
Explorer
Options

4.Improved usability of input devices

That sounds promising, just need a Europe release now...

0 Likes
Onpoint
Explorer
Options

The guy on the Italian digital-forum.it seems to be saying that the update is ready from I think Sky's side of things but still awaiting release from Samsung from what I can make out. I'm not clear on whether this is a update to the Sky box or the TV firmware though, as he seems to be from Sky's end...

Hopefully it's the TV firmware in which case it should work for other inputs. If it's from Sky's end then there will need to be a will from the companies providing the input to create updates

0 Likes